DMC:V vs Soul Casket

Ok, so I currently have Stump of Time
    I also have a Volcanic Deck (which produces Darkmoon Card:Volcano)
    and am thinking whether DMC:V or Soul Casket would be a better trinket for an elemental shaman.

Stump of Time is pretty much a requirement for the hit rating on it, but out of Volcano and Soul Casket which would be the better trinket?
    Gold and Valor points also play a small part in this, although I would prefer to know which is the better of the two before making the Gold/Valor Points decision.

TL;DR-Soul Casket or Darkmoon Card:Volcano for an elemental shaman?

P.S. Sorry for the lack of links, not enough posts yet D:

Personally I always prefer proc trinkets over on use trinkets as proc trinkets usually only have a 45 second internal coolldown instead of a flat 2 minute cooldown on the on use trinkets. Some people prefer on use trinkets because you can pop them whenever you want and have control over using them at key times such as lust, but I say it's a moot point, especially if you're saving the use for a later time in the fight.

As far as which one is actually better, it's hard to say. Soul caskets on use is 8 seconds longer and has 326 more spell power vs DMC:V giving you a little extra crit during its proc, and some stright damage. Without a reliable simming tool it's hard to say which one wins out. I think I'm going to be using DMC:V over soul casket just so I can start getting my tier, as the 2 piece tier+DMC:V will undouibtedly be better than 1 piece tier and soul casket, even if soul casket was a better trinket.

Just checked EJ, 648.91 int gives 1% spell crit at level 85. So during the DMC:V proc we get roughly 2.5% crit chance. That's a decent amount and definitely worth throwing into the equation.
    Last edited by SkaCore; 2010-12-26 at 06:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaggin View Post
    Ok, so I currently have Stump of Time
    I also have a Volcanic Deck (which produces Darkmoon Card:Volcano)
    and am thinking whether DMC:V or Soul Casket would be a better trinket for an elemental shaman.

Stump of Time is pretty much a requirement for the hit rating on it, but out of Volcano and Soul Casket which would be the better trinket?
    Gold and Valor points also play a small part in this, although I would prefer to know which is the better of the two before making the Gold/Valor Points decision.

TL;DR-Soul Casket or Darkmoon Card:Volcano for an elemental shaman?

P.S. Sorry for the lack of links, not enough posts yet D:
    DMC:V is FAR better than the casket; actually, the casket is inferior to the trinket that drops from first boss in H-HoO. That says something about how lackluster casket is...

I'm not gonna go into maths here, but c'mon; a 1.6k int buff with a 25% uptime (assuming 45 ICD & a semi-high procrate), a nice & scaling fire damage component, and some marstery. Sure, marstery isn't our best stat; but it isn't bad for us either. At all. And you can always reforge some of that into hit/haste/spirit and whatnot. :>

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 02:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SkaCore View Post
    Personally I always prefer proc trinkets over on use trinkets as proc trinkets usually only have a 45 second internal coolldown instead of a flat 2 minute cooldown on the on use trinkets. Some people prefer on use trinkets because you can pop them whenever you want and have control over using them at key times such as lust, but I say it's a moot point, especially if you're saving the use for a later time in the fight.

As far as which one is actually better, it's hard to say. Soul caskets on use is 8 seconds longer and has 326 more spell power vs DMC:V giving you a little extra crit during its proc, and some stright damage. Without a reliable simming tool it's hard to say which one wins out. I think I'm going to be using DMC:V over soul casket just so I can start getting my tier, as the 2 piece tier+DMC:V will undouibtedly be better than 1 piece tier and soul casket, even if soul casket was a better trinket.

Just checked EJ, 648.91 int gives 1% spell crit at level 85. So during the DMC:V proc we get roughly 2.5% crit chance. That's a decent amount and definitely worth throwing into the equation.
    Int is about 1.25-1.30 times as good as SP for us ele shammies. Might have changed a bit since patch 4.0.1, though.

EDIT: Assuming you click Soul Casket on every CD, it has an uptime of 16-17% (1/6). If DMC:V has a 45 ICD as suspected, it will have an uptime of approx. 25% (1/4), assuming a decent proc-chance.

Soul Casket's average SP: 1926*0.167 = 321,6.
    DMC:V's average int: 1600*0.25 = 400.

You also have to remember that int is better than SP; so DMC:V's the clear winner here.

--

Evela.
    Last edited by mmocec95b0aeea; 2010-12-27 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks for your help, totally forgot about int>sp haha.

Yay for being able to spend VP on something else