Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Imp vs Incinerate

Can someone here explain to me the basic math as to why Glyph of Imp is better than Glyph of Incinerate?

When looking at damage breakdowns I can't shake the habbit of thinking that 5% on top of the spell that does the most damage in a destro spec is better than 20% on top of the small amount of damage the imp does.

According to the numbers this is not the case. However I can't find said numbers anywhere and still don;t understand why it's better.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated and will help me sleep again at night.

I only have a destro lock alt but my guess would be that glyph of imp is better because it deals damage ALL the time, incinerate isn't the only spell you use in your rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

15+ Year Old Account
    check your combat log: is incinerate doing more than 4 times the damage your imp does (i highly doubt that) than use glyph of incinerate. If it isn't use glyph of imp, it's quite easy

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    ... is incinerate doing more than 4 times the damage your imp does ...
    Can you explain where this multiplier comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by Maeco View Post
    20% is 5% times 4

Quote Originally Posted by Maeco View Post

Oh come on... 5% <> 20%... where did he get the 4x multiplier from?

I used to have glyph of inc before, but then decided to switch to imp, coz when I compared damage from my incenerates and imp's firebolts, those were better. Few days ago, when we were on Cho'Gal, I noticed that imp's firebolt is always first or second skill on the list of my total damage.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    check your combat log: is incinerate doing more than 4 times the damage your imp does (i highly doubt that) than use glyph of incinerate. If it isn't use glyph of imp, it's quite easy
    That makes no sense. 5% of X amount is not the same as 20% of Y amount.

edit: Even if incin did 100k damage and imp did 10k damage then 5% of 100k is more than 20% of 10k.

Still. Need less speculation and more hard facts.
    Last edited by sharkee; 2010-12-27 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkee View Post
    That makes no sense. 5% of X amount is not the same as 20% of Y amount.

edit: Even if incin did 100k damage and imp did 10k damage then 5% of 100k is more than 20% of 10k.

Still. Need less speculation and more hard facts.
    Yes because 100k is 10 times 10k, try doing that with 4x and you will see it is exactly the same:

lets say imp does 1000 dmg, 20% = 200
    if incinerate does 4x thats 4000, 5% = 200

so if your incinerate does less than 4x the damage your imp does then the imp wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Deivid View Post
    Yes because 100k is 10 times 10k, try doing that with 4x and you will see it is exactly the same:

so if your incinerate does less than 4x the damage your imp does then the imp wins.
    ^ Fact. not to mention your imp will sit in the same spot and pew pew while you ahve to move and not cast incinerate.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deivid View Post

lol - this of course assumes the imp survives the fight witch is dubiuos at best as they seem to die often. Besides both glyphs are close and rng has a greater effect on your dps than the glyphs will.

Quote Originally Posted by tritone496 View Post
    lol - this of course assumes the imp survives the fight witch is dubiuos at best as they seem to die often. Besides both glyphs are close and rng has a greater effect on your dps than the glyphs will.
    Assuming you have Fel Synergy (which you should if you're a raider), it's actually not hard to keep your imp alive for an entire fight. I never saw it drop below 50% on either of the first 2 fights in Bastion of Twilight.

Anyways, from what I've seen so far, Imp typically does somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 the damage my Incinerate does, making the Imp glyph superior.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    To expand on this: While 7/3/31 offers better dps mana is still a large issue for us, so 3/7/31 is seen as a more viable spec with the current level of gear because it's harder for you to go low on mana, which leads to less life taps and more dpsing.

EJ thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t111390-..._demonic_mage/
    This.

Even still though, the "better DPS" you speak of in regards to 7/3/31 is only 8% increased damage on Bane of Doom. On a target dummy, Bane of Doom is only about 7% of my DPS. So yeah, I guess you're giving up about 0.56% of your DPS, and in exchange you get pet heals + mana regen, both of which can potentially make up for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... it's a no-brainer :P

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    To expand on this: While 7/3/31 offers better dps mana is still a large issue for us, so 3/7/31 is seen as a more viable spec with the current level of gear because it's harder for you to go low on mana, which leads to less life taps and more dpsing.

EJ thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t111390-..._demonic_mage/
    Speccing out of 10% stamina is foolish IMO. Survivability > dps increase.

Deleted
    My imp usually does around 10%, possibly more (recount is a bit messed when using doomguard + BoD imp-proc). Incinerate is 25-26% of my damage, which means that glyph of imp is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    Dps increase > survivability...
    If you cant get out of what would kill you, thats your fault now isn't it??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    10% Stamina is useless if you aren't taking damage you shouldn't be IMO