Am I doing it right ?

Hi

I'm confused about what spec to use, when mainly running heroics.
    I'm at avg 338ilvl for the moment and currently DW Frost.

Previous I was 2h unholy, but ppl told me that I'd do better dps in HC's if I's spec DW frost.
    My 2h weapon is the sword from CoC in Twilight Highlands.

Since I'm not allowed to post links etc, you can lookup my char if you want: Sluttzor on Bladefist (EU),
    but don't complain about missing gems and enchants. I know that already ..

I think I'm doing about 11-12.5K dps on single target, in a fairly static fight now, is that good / bad for my gear?
    Is DW frost the right build with my current gearlevel?
    Last edited by aztech; 2010-12-27 at 02:41 PM. Reason: clarification

Deleted
    10k is the threshold for hcs. Below that, you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Unhelpful reply suck

i wouldnt care much about your dps if i was you.

doing loads of dps is a wotlk mindstate. i rather have you doing 6k dps but not breaking cc and cc-ing/silencing/interupting stuff
    then see you do 12k dps but making the fight harder for the tank or the healer.

ppl saying 10k is the threshold are scrubs and surpassed the border game/work... let them be. they will get their just deserves later on in the game. when they find out that they wont get core raid spots cause of skill lvl despite of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by aztech View Post
    Unhelpful reply suck
    How was that unhelpful. It answered the question you asked. Be it a little blunt and maybe uncouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Manito View Post
    How was that unhelpful. It answered the question you asked. Be it a little blunt and maybe uncouth.
    He meant it as a statement, that in in general, "unhelpful replies suck" - and used his own post to set an example. Guess he just accidentally clicked "Reply With Quote".

The difference between DW frost/UH and 2h unholy is small, mostly depenadant on gear settup, lots of haste or lot of mastery. Personaly I prefer UH for heroics because I have more controll over the CC'd targets, as frost you have to use IT if there is a crowded situation wich wrecks your dps

because as you answered yourself was blunt and uncouth. but mostly cause you dont give a reason.
    you could answer like 10k dps BECAUSE...

not to mention that the 10k dps is total bullocks

i know it's hard. but try... we cant look in your mind , if you dont want to explain then dont write a reply....

Anything over 10k is good for heroics. If you did 8k I still wouldn't be disappointed. I tank and clear heroics on a normal basis and I would say any pug I see over 8k is fine. For you as a DK I would say as long as you interupt when you are supposed to you'll be fine. Granted you are a DK and don't really have any CC I would expect you to bring the DPS actually.. but 8-9k + is average for successful groups I'm in. If you do 11k+ in pug heroics you will standout. As far as your spec I would go with frost because you'll be doing more burst damage so the whole dot thing wont be as helpful as unholy which relies a lot on disease damage. And in most gropus you'll be killing 1 mob at a time so the disease spread isn't as useful as the frost burst. When you get in a geared group however we maybe only CC one mob or something, but you are sitll primarily focusing one down. So dh frost will be your best bet for heroics mate. Although you can still be successful as unholy. I would say play what you want to play and get good at it.

Well .. I really did not ask if I suck or not, nor did I ask about dps requirements in HC's.
    What I really want to know, is if DW frost in the right spec for my itemlevel, which I clarified in to the original post.

I really do agree to what @Osmo is talking about CC etc, but of course one would like to do high damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Having a brain is the threshold for heroics. Thinking DPS is the ultimate qualification means you suck.

Deleted
    Actually as a healer i prefer dps doing more than 10k in a heroic. It's gimps with 5-6k who just meet the 329 requirement with random crap in their inventory who make my life harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Roest View Post
    Actually as a healer i prefer dps doing more than 10k in a heroic. It's gimps with 5-6k who just meet the 329 requirement with random crap in their inventory who make my life harder.
    Actually as a healer, I prefer DpS I don't have to heal. DpS are more mana-sponges than the average tank. Why? To get a DpS 'and' the tank up, you need 2-4 expensive heals, that translate to 3 times as many good heals. Yes, those heals you can spam for 5-6 minutes without having to stop casting or using any mana cooldowns.
    It's absolutely no problem as a healer with min ilvl to heal a heroic if the DpS does not stand in the fire and you can go for the cheap slow heal on the tank. Been there, done that. Both by being the tank and the healer, and to top it: in a pug with average 6k DpS per non-healer.

The best thing a DpS can do, is deal some damage while not costing unnecessary healer mana, just the same a tank does.

There are some fight where DpS matters, a 3rd shield phase on throngus will be hard, killing the adds on the last boss will be hard with dead DpS. But if I would have gotten 1copper for all the times we 2-manned a heroic boss with just healer + tank after the 3 DDs stood in the fire and died I'd be rivaling the WoW Bill Gates in terms of money right now.

If you are looking for some "DpS Guidelines" for heroics, try these:
    Starter heroics, careful playing: 6-7k DpS
    Starter heroics, dps focused: 7-8k DpS
    346 gear, careful playing: 9-10k DpS
    346 gear, dps focused: 10-12k DpS

Once you are at 10k+ DpS and still got the awareness to see what's happening around you, you are more than ready to raid and fulfill all of the criteria to make a heroic "faceroll" for your group.