Darkmoon Card: Volcano and Firemages

Does anyone know how beneficial this trinket, darkmoon card volcano, is to fire mages? I mean you can reforge a large chunk of it into crit and the intellect proc will icnrease taht substantially as well. Aslo, does the fire spell proc scale with our fire talents?

It's good but it might not be worth the boatload of gold you'll need to pay for it.

The int proc has a 30% chance according to wowhead which makes it pop up after the ICD quite fast. The fire proc should scale (RotD did scale with fire talents), but it's a small bonus and not the main damage source.

Expect to replace it when you're doing heroic raids and possibly sooner if the raiding trinkets end up to be better.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

I think it is a very good Trinket if you have the Money or time to farm the Herbs.

Mastery can be reforged into Crit. Fire Proc should benefit from Fire Power. Uptime of the Int Proc is about 20% what i have seen in Logs, so you have about 321 Int, the magical Number all 359 Trinkets have.

If you're struggling for hit, anhuur's hymnal + stump of time would likely be better. Mastery isn't a great stat and you could blow 20k on it only to replace it with a mirror in a couple weeks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Theralion's Mirror, Bell of Enraging Resonance and Stump of Time are all probably better. Unless you're loaded and a non-raider, I'd leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Theralion's Mirror, Bell of Enraging Resonance and Stump of Time are all probably better. Unless you're loaded and a non-raider, I'd leave it be.
    I was wondering the same thing this afternoon and did some calculations together with a guildie:

I'm leaving Stump of Time out of the equatioin, because imo this is only used if you are having trouble making the hit cap. (Everyone probably will at this point though). On top of that, it has a very lousy proc change(10%) and a big icd(90s), giving 1926 * 15 / 110 = 262 sp on average.
    I'm also leaving Bell of Enraging Resonance out, because that is the obvious best trinket for a fire mage. Crit and a SP proc, what more do you want.

Theralion's Mirror:
    - 321 int
    - Proc: 350 mastery rating (1926 for 20sec, 10% proc change, 90s icd -->> 1926 * 20 / 110 = 350 mastery average)

Darkmoon Card: Volcano:
    - 321 mastery
    - Proc: 384 int (1600 int for 12sec, 30% proc change, 45s icd -->> 1600 * 12 / 50 = 384 int average)

I looked at logs to see that Volcano has a 45s icd, most fights it was around 48s on average before the fire mage would get another proc. I've taken 50s instead to be more fair.

So basicaly, these 2 trinkets have their flat stat and proc reversed. The proc gives more than the flat stat and since we love int more than mastery, I'd say Volcano is the better choise. It has more intellect and we don't care about a 29 mastery rating difference.
    On top of that, you can reforge the Volcano's flat mastery into 128 crit rating. Or hit rating, if you need it...

Next to Bell of Enraging Resonance, Volcano is definitely the best trinket for fire mages.

EDIT: Ps. the extra damage is does, is nothing really. It does half the damage from a single scorch cast. However, it does profit from fire talents and specilization and it can crit. on a 6 min fight, you'd be lucky if this did 50k damage. But on the other hand, that's 50k dmg you wouldn't have done otherwise :-)
    Last edited by Queal; 2010-12-28 at 07:26 PM.