Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithsonian View Post
    Great guide- especially helpful for those just now learning to use CC in the new expansion.

One thing to note- Most healers now do have quite a bit of hit rating due to the spirit to hit rating conversion via talents. Very minor but still a bit of misinformation.
    I know for resto druids those talent points can be spend better. Especially seeing the number of other classes being able to CC going for them seems like a waste of talents point which could be used to get better mana regen or better healing.

well missing scatter shot in hunter interrupt (its a 3 seconds desorientation(stun), so a bad cc)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    Solar Beam, Typhoon, Wild Mushroom (+Fungal Growth) and Cyclone are never in these guides. I use them sometimes. They are not long term CC-s but saves lives many times and i even use them to take care of many adds on boss fights. I'm not sure why doesn't they count as a CC even if they are short. I even use Bash as a balance druid. Its rare but gives time for some more reliable CC.
    Still the best guide about them. Good job.
    This! Every guildie wants me in their group because I am the CC master lol.

Could've included Warlock's Enslave Demon

*edit:-
    now if your enslaved demon happened to be a succubus with seduce... that's:-
    1x mob fear'd
    1x mob seduced
    1x demon enslaved
    1x demon/elemental banished

fun fun fun
    Last edited by tofu_soldier; 2011-01-08 at 01:37 PM.

hm even in pugs i only need 1 cc (rarely). why explain all this?

Deleted
    Great guide! I have one thing to add tho, apologies if someone else mentioned it, I haven't read the threat, just the guide itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJrapter View Post
    Rogue - Should your CC become in danger of running out you can Vanish and reapply sap on the mob before it wakes up
    While this is true in PvP where your target drops combat from not attacking or getting attacked for more than 5 seconds this generally doesn't work in PvE. Sap can only be applied on targets that are not in combat. After you pulled and started killing the rest of the pack the sap target will be in combat and therefore cant be resapped. This holds true for almost every pack in game.

It is however often a good idea to blind if your sap runs out before your group is ready to handle it. After the blind wait for your tank to pick up the mob. If he doesn't however, its better the mob attacks you than your healer. Gouge and Kick are excellent tools to minimize the damage you take while keeping that mob from killing your healer (or yourself) and evasion, combat readiness and cloak of shadows are great tools to make sure you survive untill your tank takes over the mob. Be sure you also move the mob to the tank when possible.

If your tank didn't pick up the sapped target you can politely ask him to take it after sap runs out next time.

I have an addition to the guide. Here is a macro useful for CC:

#showtooltip Repentance
    /clearfocus [target=focus,dead]
    /focus [target=focus,noexists]
    /cast [target=focus] Repentance
    /clearfocus [modifier: alt]

Replace "Repentance" with your own spell.
    This macro:

-Clears your current focus (if you have one) if it is dead.
    -Sets your current target as your focus (if you don't already have one or it was cleared in step 1 because it was dead).
    -Casts <CC spell> at your focus target.
    -If you have changed current target, but your focus is alive, pressing the macro again will simply recast <CC spell> at your focus.
    -Clears focus if you hold the ALT button.

Credit for macro goes to Ronark and his 4.0.1 Retribution guide.

If Hungering cold is included you should also include mage´s ice ring.

Deleted
    I might have misread but I think you forgot the interrupt provided by the felpuppy.

Deleted
    Something I'm missing as well, although I didn't read every page from top to bottom, is WHEN to CC.

A lot of people wait for the tank to pull, and then start to CC (with the exception being Sap). I'd like to point out that it's best to CC first. A tank should never Charge pull (hate those Warriors), and should pick up the mobs that go after the player that used CC.

So, DPS, when you're in a group and the tank wants you to CC stuff, do it before he pulls. This includes all heavy forms of CC, such as Repentance, Polymorph, and Fear. Tank will range pull the mobs to him, which should separate you from the CC'ed targets by quite a bit, allowing abilities that do AoE to be used as well (such as the Paladin's Holy Wrath, which is in the default dps rotation).

And to all tanks, don't Charge/AoE pull. No Avenger's Shield near CC'ed targets (unless Glyphed), no Charge. Just range pull, so the dps can go all out without fear of breaking the CC. I play a prot/ret Paladin, and when I'm playing as ret, I'm sick of tanks tanking the mobs so close to CC'ed targets, that I'm afraid to use Seal of Righteousness and Holy Wrath, because they have a Cleave effect. Just range pull, plox.

Deleted
    i was using Opie for my markings, it was pretty usefull. i play a laptop and dont have a numpad handy, if its updated ill probly DL it again.

you can set up one bind then are presented with a circle of icons (raid markers in this case) and you just mouseover one and let go of said keybind, then your current target will be marked as that.

Fear doesn't work on undead targets

Thanks, I've been in the need for a chart like that to see exactly who can CC what. One thing I was hoping would be here though is a list of which of those CC Avenger's Shield happens to break. So far I've seen that it breaks fear and repentance, not sure about any others

Great guide
    i want to add something about hunters CC
    Freezing trap no longer break on dmg instantly and this means target that is affected by wyvern sting can be traped after that 30 sec (perfectly match traps CD)

+ most pugs really got no idea that surv hunter atm have enough CC for the whole group and u should respect that and let us do our job the way its its supposed to be done
    Last edited by lolipopp; 2011-01-08 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggi94 View Post
    You are missing alot of things
    The 2x oafpull in deadmines is a good example, although they cannot be CCd, they can be both disarmed and stunned. WE usually disarm 1, and then we stun it.
    at this point the other is soon dead and we can focus on the first.
    (yes we have awesome dps)
    Ill just say something about this... The Oafs aren't immune to roots. I root pull one then shift to bear and tank the other... it dies before the roots runs out.

As a beartank, I root one melee mob in Every single pack I pull. Most instances it will be the only CC my group uses (gg overgearing). By the time it breaks one or two mobs are usually dead and it's the perfect time to pick it up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    Something I'm missing as well, although I didn't read every page from top to bottom, is WHEN to CC.

A lot of people wait for the tank to pull, and then start to CC (with the exception being Sap). I'd like to point out that it's best to CC first. A tank should never Charge pull (hate those Warriors), and should pick up the mobs that go after the player that used CC.

So, DPS, when you're in a group and the tank wants you to CC stuff, do it before he pulls. This includes all heavy forms of CC, such as Repentance, Polymorph, and Fear. Tank will range pull the mobs to him, which should separate you from the CC'ed targets by quite a bit, allowing abilities that do AoE to be used as well (such as the Paladin's Holy Wrath, which is in the default dps rotation).
    The best way to CC is as a team. If you have a good tank he should say "Go CC" or "Go Hunter" at which point the CC's get cast. The tank watches the casts and attacks the mobs a fraction before or at the same time the CC's hit. When well timed the tank will still get aggro, but he must not use his AoE's until he has moved sufficiently far away.

For example, as a warrior when appropiate I will mark the CC's as the mobs all on one side. I will say "Go CC", watch the mage cast, charge in because it gets me rage (not talented so I don't break CC), position myself so I'm facing away from the CC's and use my conal attack on the others. Or charge the mob on the opposite end and use my circular AoE out of range of the CC'd mobs. After which I will seperate the mobs as much as possible. Other times if theres just 2 other mobs, I will Heroic Throw the caster just before the CC and charge the melee on once he is out of range of the CC'd mobs.

There are a number of different ways of pulling, just use the right one for the job. A well timed charge isn't bad, it's single target, what you do after charge is what is important. (And if a warrior doesn't charge, he's going to suffer for rage.)

DPS: Don't CC as soon as you see your mark. Everyone has to be ready and together, so communicate. Too many hunters have instant cast their traps because they've seen the square, even though the tank hasn't finished marking. If you pull with CC before the other CC's are ready, then half the CC's go missing.

----

My top marking addon is TargetCharms - it does marks and flares.
    Last edited by Mammoth; 2011-01-08 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haferflocken View Post
    hm even in pugs i only need 1 cc (rarely). why explain all this?
    So you l2p. Ppl like you are the reason why Healers QQ on lack of mana in HC's. So next time your in a pug not doing CC, instead of thinking you are so awesome, try looking at how much harder the healer's job is just cos the CC'ers aren't doing their own jobs.

@guide.
    Its good it covers the basics, and yes many forms of CC are missing. There are for example temporarily CC that can be used in some situations (AoE fear for example can be a life saver if used properly) but overall its something that everyone should know. TBC players will think like "duhh doesnt everyone knows this already?!" and late WotLK players will be like "w00t Druids have CC ?! and we can't aoe all shit down?!"
    Last edited by Milton; 2011-01-08 at 04:07 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for this. Most useful is knowing what classes can CC which types of mobs (so i won't look like an idiot for asking a mage to polymorph a Dragonkin).

Dno if it was already answered but to the person asling if undeads can be feared: yes they can fear was reclasified. as well as that paladins "fear undead" is nice (we had our holy paladin using it on Springvale in SFK whilst i shackled the other add :P)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    The best way to CC is as a team. If you have a good tank he should say "Go CC" or "Go Hunter" at which point the CC's get cast. The tank watches the casts and attacks the mobs a fraction before or at the same time the CC's hit. When well timed the tank will still get aggro, but he must not use his AoE's until he has moved sufficiently far away.

For example, as a warrior when appropiate I will mark the CC's as the mobs all on one side. I will say "Go CC", watch the mage cast, charge in because it gets me rage (not talented so I don't break CC), position myself so I'm facing away from the CC's and use my conal attack on the others. Or charge the mob on the opposite end and use my circular AoE out of range of the CC'd mobs. After which I will seperate the mobs as much as possible. Other times if theres just 2 other mobs, I will Heroic Throw the caster just before the CC and charge the melee on once he is out of range of the CC'd mobs.

There are a number of different ways of pulling, just use the right one for the job. A well timed charge isn't bad, it's single target, what you do after charge is what is important. (And if a warrior doesn't charge, he's going to suffer for rage.)

DPS: Don't CC as soon as you see your mark. Everyone has to be ready and together, so communicate. Too many hunters have instant cast their traps because they've seen the square, even though the tank hasn't finished marking. If you pull with CC before the other CC's are ready, then half the CC's go missing.

----

My top marking addon is TargetCharms - it does marks and flares.
    Yes, this. Although I have seen way too many Warriors charging in, and staying to fight on the spot, a few inches away from CC'ed targets that will be set loose when they take damage. Lots of classes won't be able to dps ideally in that case. I have no problems with Charge. Just make sure you back away after it.