New Desktop/Puppy

So I have never owned a Desktop and I have been playing WoW on laptops (dell inspiron 2200 at first now a 2009 MacBook Pro 15") but now that I got some money I wanted to buy parts and make my own Desktop. I only have a few problems, there are so many letters and numbers in the names of each different part that I am not entirely sure what they all do in effect to my gaming (I mean I know the basics, just not the hardcore stuff).

ANYWHO!!

I was looking at the front page and I was thinking about doing a slightly upgraded "Puppy" just not quite "Dolphin". So I was curious as to which parts of the Puppy I should upgrade first (graphics card, RAM, Processor, etc.). My Budget is easily able to buy the Puppy and The Dolphin, I just don't want to go all out on my first computer, I want to start basic.

Also one last question with the Puppy what kind of settings can I run WoW on with good fps and not too much overheating? (And if it's possible how much better would the Dolphin be for me to buy?)

Thank You all in advance for helping an Aspiring Desktop Owner.
    Cyloo

I wouldn't recommend buying an Athlon II x4 for gaming, despite your concerns.
    Phenom II x4, is a good recommendation.

I was actually probably gonna go all out on the processor and get an intel i7, because I know its a great processor and it'll take a while for it to become outdated and not that good. But then again I have been concerned as to whether or not I need to upgrade the rest of the hardware to be able to support an intel i7 core processor?

Would that be a smart idea to get the intel i7-950 for the puppy or dolphin configurations?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzer83 View Post
    I was actually probably gonna go all out on the processor and get an intel i7, because I know its a great processor and it'll take a while for it to become outdated and not that good. But then again I have been concerned as to whether or not I need to upgrade the rest of the hardware to be able to support an intel i7 core processor?

Would that be a smart idea to get the intel i7-950 for the puppy or dolphin configurations?
    In all honesty, I'm hesitant about doing that.
    You'd have to get another Motherboard, another stick of RAM (3x2048, as they use triple-channel). The PSU probably won't be enough either.

Of course it would perform better, but I'd say that the gain isn't enough to warrant the price, if you're between puppy/dolphin in budget (you said it exceeded it, I know). But I'd settle for a Phenom II x4, which is by no means at all a bad CPU, it's probably one of the best performance/price out there.
    The i7 is an overkill for sure.

Ok so i figured instead of just going Puppy and upgrading a few pieces im just gonna do the full Dolphin build.

Now I have one last question, is it hard to put it all together? :P

Putting together a computer isn't hard. Just read some guides/instructions that come with the parts. Maybe google some guides or something. After you do it, you'll probably never buy a pre-built for yourself again.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Here is a decent guide from the folks at Maximum PC Build your PC guide. The how to build starts on page 2 of this article and goes through I think another 3 or 4 pages. It will give you a nice step by step, with pictures, on how to build your rig.

I would reccomend finding a way to balance out your ram processor and graphics card. I.e. if you have a core I7 extreme, 2gb of ram, and a 712 mb radeon 4850 its gonna suck, but if you have a core if a 6850 and 4-6 gb of ram it willbe great.

First of all thank you for the guide link Culadin that's really gonna help a ton.

I looked at what the price change would be from the Dolphin to change things up to make it like you said Rob and that seems to be a little out of my budget sadly.

My last question is, I'm not quite sure how the Dolphin will perform with the game in comparison to my laptop and other computers and such. Will it be able to run on Ultra settings with decent FPS? or is it more recommended to be put on Great with amazing FPS? or what's the deal with that?

Thanks again everyone this is all expanding my knowledge of computers

Just... Don't, don't, don't buy an intelsystem now. If that's what you're thinking. Wait half a month for sandy bridge in that case.

The Dolphin will have max (60) fps anywhere that isn't a raid on Ultra. Easily. It will go down in raids, obviously, but what system wouldn't?