Deleted

frost mage pvp build

hey there forum
    a friend of mine is making a mage for pvp, arenas if u want
    but he is kinda of lost when its down to making a talent tree
    can u tell me whats the best pvp frost mage build? with glyphs and all?
    ty to all

Deleted
    I would like to know also.

Frost Mage PVP Spec/Glyphs/Priority

im not an expert at pvp but with what experience i have i would reccomend this build:
    wowhead.com/talent#oMhZMZffbGshsdMomkMqV

the minor glyphs are up to you. these are my explanations and the glyphs in the build are what i personally use

PRIME:
    Deep Freeze: 20% increase damage on targets you can't stun
    Frostfire: 15% increase damage and a 3% dot but removes its chill and its ability to proc fingers of frost
    Frostbolt: 5% crit chance doesn't seem like much
    Molten Armor: extra 2% crit chance on all spells. I prefer this to the 5% on frostbolt b/c this applies to ALL spells.
    Ice Lance: 5% increase damage. this is your bread and butter spell so 5% over a fight is a lot
    Cone of Cold: i find that i use this spell almost anytime its off cd(against melee mostly) so the extra damage pays off

MAJOR:
    Evocation: if you can freeze your enemy and LoS this is your only heal other than first-aid
    Ice Barrier: Bigger shield means you live longer. sounds good
    Icy Veins: acts somewhat like a pvp trinket but restricted to movement slowing and casting slowing
    Frost Nova: in my "rotation" frost nova is broken so quickly this doesn't even matter
    Ice Block: seems useful but if you follow my spec then you can use cone of cold( 10 sec cd) to freeze them in place which will just about always be off cd
    Invisibility: 40% movement speed seems fun but you're invis for 20 seconds anyways so thats more than enough time to distance yourself.

Rotation/Priority List: (this is more for 1v1 duels than arenas)
    starting off with a sheep would be great. use your pet's freeze for 2 charges of fingers of frost and breaking the freeze gives you a 3rd ice lance. cast off your frostfire orb whenever possible for the slow and timing it along with frostfire bolts grant an additional 20% chill. frostbolts(along with all chill effects) proc fingers of frost(ice lance/deep freeze) and all damage proc insta cast frostfire bolts. so rack up the instant casts and use them to kite away. Deep freeze to stun close melee or to interrupt spells and then rack up on fingers of frost charges. cold snap, rinse, repeat. i spec into imp counterspell to take some damage off myself vs other casters.

vs melee: ice block when they get close and use the 10 sec to cycle some cds or to simply let your blink refresh.

vs range: deep freeze and ice block near the end of large casts(so they waste some time casting). you can also use blink to jump behind a casting enemy to LoS their cast. when using instant casts keep moving(you should always be moving while using instant casts) but run behind them to hopefully LoS a cast.

vs warriors: keep them chilled so its easier to stay away from their attacks not so far as to let them charge you

vs hunters: stay inside their hitbox so they can't cast any ranged spells at you. when they disengage, blink after them and watch out for frost traps

i know this is hastily written and i may have gotten numerous things wrong so please correct any errors and ill try to edit them out.

*****SPEC 1*****

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oMZcb0...sdMo:MRmqMkmz0

***There is one talent point left over for which you may spend as you wish based on personal preference.***

Recommended options are:
    Early Frost
    Ice Shards
    Piercing Chill
    Blazing Speed

My personal preference is Ice Shards as the added utility of the slow effect to blizzard has some very useful functions in certain scenarios, more so (in my opinion) than the other two options.

*****Spec 2*****

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oMh0bZ...sdMo:MRmqMkmz0

Optional Talents for both specs:

Both specs are guidelines, and as such should be considered flexible rather than unalterable, as there are many variations on frost PVP specs. Some talents that you may wish to swap around are:

Spec 1:
    Dropping Frostfire Orb for:
    Early Frost
    Piercing Chill

Spec 2
    Dropping Frostfire Orb for:
    Early Frost
    Piercing Chill

Dropping Burning Soul for:
    Invocation + Ice Shards / Piercing Chill / Early Frost
    **(I would personally not recommend this as Burning Soul is incredibly useful for any arena / battleground setting)**

** Glyphs included in the specs

Optional Glyph Replacements:

Prime
    These are mandatory

Major
    Icv Veins
    Ice Block

Minor
    These are fairly irrelevant
    Last edited by Goliethlol; 2011-01-04 at 10:12 PM.

I agree. Other than a few major talents, the rest are up to preference and won't effect your ability. As for sockets and reforging what's the order of priority?
    Hit cap>res>everything else

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    No, both Piercing Ice and Permafrost are better choices than Reactive Barrier (which is the worst talent in the tree). Personally, I'd recommend just plain skipping FFB Orb, and investing in either Piercing Chill or Enduring Winter. FFB Orb is...well, it's just too much talent budget wasted on a spell you have glyphed to remove the snare on.
    BfA Beta Time

I agree with Swizzle on the point that Reactive Barrier is the worst talent in the frost tree, and should really not be taken over other talents. I won't say that the talent does not have its uses, but I will say that those two talent points will almost always, in any scenario, be better spent somewhere else.

There has been a lot of debate on the effectiveness of Frostfire Orb as a talent and ability, and it basically comes down to what comp you play, and what your personal preference is. Generally if your comp has a lot of cc options and is fairly strong defensively, you should probably opt out of FFOrb. I do however think that if you are the sole CCer for your team, or your team shares a lot of DR with their CCs, then it is definitely a very useful talent to have. It is certainly situational in its effectiveness, but it does have it's moments of greatness.

You also need to consider the alternatives (Early Frost and Piercing Ice). Early Frost is obviously a slight damage increase for PVP, and Piercing Ice can be seen as both an extra utility and control talent, as well as an extra damage talent, as the effect from Piercing Ice have a chance to proc both Brain Freeze and Fingers of Frost. Frostfire Orb can also be seen as extra utility / control, as well as extra damage, as the slow effect from your FFOrb will also proc both Brain Freeze and Fingers of Frost. My issue with Piercing Ice vs FFOrb is that Piercing Ice is not really controllable, where as FFOrb is completely deliberate and controlled (however the spell does bug out sometimes which is quite frustrating).
    Last edited by Goliethlol; 2011-01-04 at 07:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, Piercing Chill procs off of EVERY Frostbolt crit, but is more dependent on the opposing teams positioning (I love it as a trash debuff at the start to make Polymorph a bit more difficult to dispel). FFB Orb has a chance to proc FoF and BF at the same rate PC does, but is on a 60 second CD and is easy to avoid/out-range. Given the change to FO and FFBO to not break Polymorph "specifically", I try to avoid it in situations where I don't need some burst to kill someone (sheep on DR or what not).

Taste and preference is what Blizz wanted with the new trees and that's what we got, I just don't like FFB Orb in PvP.
    BfA Beta Time

wowhead.com/talent#oMh0bZcZffdhshsd0o:mMRqkMm0z
    (can't post direct links, sorry)
    This is the build that I'm currently using. I don't do battlegrounds, just 2v2, so I've only got one point in Piercing Chill. I'd also strongly recommend Improved Blink, it's worked wonders for me so far.
    I also agree with Swizzle on the FrostFire Orb; I never used it in PvP, it's really easy to avoid and it's just generally unreliable. The points are much better off in the other trees, in my honest opinion.