Thread: RIP Gearscore?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    GS = for retards, looking for either other retards or suckers
    avg ilvl = broke, but sets a good place to refine it and make it better.
    Elitist group = Basically, ilvl, with and up or down system. but I think it died out while GS was running things..

awww...well
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    Lorewise... how is it possible for a rogue or a warrior to res someone? A hunter ressing a feral druid I can understand but.. eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Crusade View Post
    Clearly the rogue stabs them with a poison that revives, and the warrior yells at them until they get up.

15+ Year Old Account
    ilvl = your gear level.

GS = some asshat coming up with arbitrary ratings and slapping them on items. Did anyone actually ever look to see what GS was saying about their gear, other than being sheep and blinding following a number? Every item below ilvl232 was scored in GS with a 226 rating with the exception of weapons. I recall using Nevermelting Ice Crystal on my Warlock as Affliction for the rolling crit, and even on my SPriest. If anything, it should've been rated -higher- than 232. Or how about the number of tanks pre-ICC that were using The Black Heart because even though it was ilvl 200 and rated as like ilvl187 something; it was one of the best damn tanking trinkets you could get before ICC and JV.

Then, magically, every item actually 245 in ilvl or above in game, started being worth -more- than it's actual ilvl in GS. It's bad enough that morons didn't think you could do 10/12 normal ICC10 without a 5.8k-6k GS at the time - what was even worse, was that most people were too busy being sheep to notice that the asshat author of GearScore was making it take even longer on you to get up to par with everyone else's demands than it actually should have been.
    Last edited by Kelzam; 2010-12-29 at 02:30 AM.

iLVL = A less advanced Gearscore

Well done fanatics, now we have an even less trustworthy system of comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    RIP as in rest in pieces yes. im glad they brought ilvl
    lol why? it´s basically the same thing

*weighs up choices* guild? Pug? Guild? Pug? ... Guild.
    I never ever ever used the GS addon, not once in the entire short time the addon existed. I despised it, glad to see it dead.

There is no surefire way to organise a pug, an addon as simplistic as GS was, or the current ilvl average won't help you. There are time-consuming ways, one of which is doing a background check (I used Wow-heroes, or wow-progress) on every potential player (arsey for 25 mans, not awful for a 10 man but still, a bit of a pain in the ass).
    I generally came to pug raidleading armed with some tactics macros and made sure that everyone was aware of their assigned jobs.
    Oh and made sure one tank and maybe one or two healers were my guildies or people I trusted and knew were reliable.

Now in Cataclysm? Yeah I'm not even going to go there until a substantial portion of the realm has gotten some tier 11. Which may take months

i love the part when u inspect someone with gearscore and if there guildless it says "this player is not in a guild; players who are not in a guild are more likely to fail. it is recommended you not invite this player"

Tbh i never liked GS cos bring the skill not the items. But ilevel is worse than gearscore and you either have to ignorant or a blizzard fan boy to disagree. Ilevel takes the best stuff out of your inventory and what your wearing (So you can have some caster leather as a rogue and make that boost you ilevel) Gearscore never did that. And gearscore is now quite nice to judge a player as the UI when u inspect somone is very well laid out. Skill > progression > GS > ilevel imo.

Ilvl <= old GS in functionality.
    Main plus of playerscore is that it checks for gems and enchantments. Main minus is that it's slowwwww and has a lot of crap for additional scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post

not necessarily true.... GS was ilvl, just adding in a better score for gear pieces that are closer to BIS. Which could get mucked up by a Holy pally wearing Hunter/shammy mail, or a Hunter wearing Cloth.

ilvl is a simpler form of GS, but in that fact, retards, no matter how retarded, have to look at what gear you have... which was another feature that Elitist group had... an at a glance gear check system that flagged mis-enchanted/mis-gemmed/mis-geared gear... not perfect, but imo, in the hey-day of GS, was 100x better.

so, in that, I say good riddens... I'll still always go with all my toons GS is -1 and iLVL is -1.... they have judge me by the fail/fail less standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    Lorewise... how is it possible for a rogue or a warrior to res someone? A hunter ressing a feral druid I can understand but.. eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Crusade View Post
    Clearly the rogue stabs them with a poison that revives, and the warrior yells at them until they get up.

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Ilvl <= old GS in functionality.
    Main plus of playerscore is that it checks for gems and enchantments. Main minus is that it's slowwwww and has a lot of crap for additional scores.
    Gearscore did that, as well as check for hitcap and listed bosses downed in previous raids and how appropriate their stats were for their spec. Recent additions also add a rate up/down system for if you found the player to be bad in a pug, reducing or increasing their score by one for everyone who votes them up or down. This makes it far superior to item level.
    But I wouldn't expect anyone arguing against gearscore to actually know what they are talking about.
    Obviously gearscore is evil so actually finding out what it can do before complaining about it is a form of heresy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I got a gearscore of 8743....

Anyway, I don't really care that it is gone or not. Though that is mostly because I am in a raid guild and raid with them instead of PuGing. So that it is gone is mostly good for PuG's but I don't see any PuG's killing bosses in raids anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thoukaia View Post
    WotLK: "LFM ICC25 6000+ GS"

Cata: "LFM BH10 350+ ilvl"

Yeah its much better now.

Took the post right out of my mind. =P
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post

this is absurd.
    it doesn't rate skill at all, no matter what anybody says. it just doesn't. therefore: useless addon beyond belief.

my gs and ilvl are set to 77777 and 777 respectively in order to protest against these crappy useless rating systems.
    i'll still get invited anyway because, guess what, people can tell lamers from gamers without using bs like gs.

gs is solely for people, who don't know jack.

The ILvL is fine the way it is. If someone says that their ILvL is high and you don't believe it. Simple. Go to their armory and it flat out shows overall ILvL AND their currently EQUIPPED ILvL.

Quote Originally Posted by 909 View Post
    this is absurd.
    it doesn't rate skill at all, no matter what anybody says. it just doesn't. therefore: useless addon beyond belief.

my gs and ilvl are set to 77777 and 777 respectively in order to protest against these crappy useless rating systems.
    i'll still get invited anyway because, guess what, people can tell lamers from gamers without using bs like gs.

gs is solely for people, who don't know jack.
    I never said it rated skill, when did I say that?
    iLVL doesn't either.
    People are using iLVL instead of GearScore.
    Even if GearScore wasn't perfect it was still better, it looked at more than just what items you are wearing OR CARRYING, UNEQUIPPED, IN YOUR BAGS and therefore provided a more accurate number than the ones people are using right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraven Moorehead View Post
    Gearscore is much better now considering the fact it now tells Gems/Enchants and if people are wearing PvP gear then the GS goes down even if the item is of a higher level.
    ilvl is a much worse system considering it tells you the item level of stuff you can equip even tho it's complete garbage for your spec that's just sitting in your inventory.
    "O wow a 340 ilvl tank? awesome." but then you inspect them and find out they actually have something more along the lines of 326 equipped.
    It already did that.. You must be one of that people that just blindly follows the QQ'ing mass.

The iLvl thing is even worse than GS, since you can cheat it. You don't see either of those being used on my realm btw.
    I myself deleted GS when 4.0 went live because of all the errors. Tried it once after that, but the new GS just doesn't make sense with all the different scores.

15+ Year Old Account
    playerscore > gearscore

You people. This proves how stupid the community is, thinking the average item level is the savior and that its great GS is gone. You can be a cloth wearer carrying plate in your bags that will raise your average ilvl to get into things like heroics. Shame on you for being so ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Anyone else noticed the complete lack of use for the GS addon since cataclysm came out?
    "LFM *insert thing here* PST iLvL" seems to be the new thing.
    Is this just my server?

God I hope not! I'm so glad to see its dying on my server. Ever sense it made the extremely ballsy (and absolutely arrogant) shift to calling itself
    "Playerscore" I've hoped for its slow and painful death even more.

I think the main contributing factors to its death were the name change to "Playerscore," the rating system based on your guild's progression and your rank in the guild,
    the rating based on dungeon experience per-character instead of across account (Like really, you want me to run Heroic Vortex Pinncle 10 times on all of my toons before each one is considered good enough to complete it? Riiight) and the ability to rank players up or down (although I liked the rating ability, but so easy to abuse...)

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure "Playerscore" has some use; hardcore guilds who pug (lol do those even exist) will be able to make full use of it!

Anyone else seeing GS slowly asphyxiate on its own filth on their servers? Happy about this, sad to see it die?
    How are you liking the new iLvL request for getting into stuff? Love it? Hate it? Just as bad as GS?

Oh, also, dance party on GS's grave on Thursday, BYOB.
    You're happy to see Gearscore die, but are fine with the "Pst ilvl" mentality?
    Because Gearscore was just and ilvl gauge, and "pst ilvl" is more innacurate to someones true ilvl average because it counts all of the gear in your bags. A plate dps could obtain a few Pally Healing pieces and boost their ilvl, or tanks can be extremely undergeared and have decent Dps gear and be allowed to go into dungeons/raids they are not ready for.
    The new playerscore shows you if they are gemmed/enchanted properly and how hard content should be in their gear, as well as their current progression through content.
    The only way you could outperform Playerscore to check a players ability to complete instances would be to make every PuG member send you a filled out application, which is obviously less convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by H3ll View Post
    playerscore > gearscore
    Common sense > any addon that has been and will ever be made.
    Gearscore > iLvl.
    Don't actually have a clue what playerscore is, nor do I care enough to look it up, so I'm not qualified for an opinion on that.
    Some posts here imply that it's gearscore with a name change but whatever.