Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do you think Deathwing is a better villian than the Lich King?

I can't tell if hes better or not. I like how I didn't get the "Dr Claw" feeling out of him like I did with LK but he barely even shows up when we're questing. It just seems like he has less of a personality than LK. What do you think?

15+ Year Old Account
    lk had to do everything by himself, dw has servants
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    I can't tell if hes better or not. I like how I didn't get the "Dr Claw" feeling out of him like I did with LK but he barely even shows up when we're questing. It just seems like he has less of a personality than LK. What do you think?
    He's to me a generic destroying the world villain with no personality. His original character was explosively badass (no pun intended.) He was the type of black dragon who would sit in his den sipping blood out of a wine glass with a monocle and tophat. Now he's a RAWR FUCK YOU I'M A DRAGON living bomb..Thing. Got fucked over the same way Kel, Anub and Arthas did.

Personally, I liked the overall story of the Lich King better. Mostly the Warcraft III phase, though. Going off of World of Warcraft alone, making the Lich King "spare us" every time was kind of degrading, so I'm going to have to go with Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    I can't speak for Deathwing, but the reason why the Lich King appeared as much as he did was because the overall storyline of the expansion was about Arthas supervising your progress and growth in order to make you into a powerful scourge general. So it sort of made sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    I generally don't understand the "I want to destroy the world" theme behind most of these villains. I mean if the old gods want to return why the hell would they destroy the world? LK, if pissed at all, should be pissed at the burning legion not Azeroth.

OT: LK wins imo
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have bias as I have never liked Arthas, so I say Deathwing.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Well DW isn't like LK in the sense that he doesn't always say "Oh i'll let you live this time"

However his short Hour of Twilight speech is getting annoying fast.

I thought Ddubya wanted to 'remake' the world and mortals were just in the way. Isn't it the Twilights who want to destroy the world? Would appreciate it if a Lore aficionado could straighten this out.

He used to be the Earthwarder, and I think he went crazy and still considers himself as such. He probably doesn't even think he is the bad guy, like most crazy villains.

Deathwing got more lore and is part of Azeroth much much longer. The previous Lich King was personage that was build up over the course of 2-3 decades. That he led you live during your quest through Northrend was kinda softie. Deathwing atleast lives up to his name

I like Lich King alot more. Deathwing just seems like a crazy ass dragon who doesn't really know wtf he's doing. He's just flying around and burning stuff. Lich King was full of diabolical schemes, like letting the heroes survive so they'd become immensely powerful minions.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I much prefer the Arthas Menethil story, his descent into evil caused by the love of his kingdom rather than the Deathwing story of, lets burn shit because I am a pawn of the Old Gods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas: "I was only trying to protect Azeroth..."
    Deathwing: "BURN ****ERS, BURN!!!"
    Deathwing is a better villain, but Arthas is a much better character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, Deathwing suffers from the same "Warcraft Villain" syndrome that the Lich King suffered from.

By this I mean they both have unimaginable power at their disposal, wish for the destruction of all life on Azeroth, and yet they sit on their hands biding their time until the last possible moment.

Look at what Deathwing did to Stormwind in a few seconds. He could have slaughtered every faction leader in a matter of minutes and sent the world into even more chaos, then proceed to wreak his havoc without interference of mortal races. The mortal races that will ultimately prove to be his downfall.

It's just like how the Scourge has the ability to ravage the world even further than they already had (See Terenas: "Without it's master's command, the restless Scourge will become an even greater threat to this world.") and yet Arthas never used them to their full potential. Hell, he was looking to raise you as his most powerful champions. He had you fight through his entire citadel as a test. He waited for the last possible moment and then what did he do? He one-shot everyone. He had the power. He always did. He just didn't feel like using it? I don't know. What I do know is that, at any time, he could have made his dream a reality, but he chose to draw it out until something he did not count on proved to be his downfall. If he could do that to you, who he considered to be the most powerful mortals he had ever seen, why couldn't he use his vast resources and power to do it to everyone? His goal is eradication of all life, after all.

I know from a gameplay standpoint he can't possibly use a one-shot ability the moment the fight begins. The game puts limits on their power for a reason, to make them beatable.

At least Deathwing decides to fly around and toast you every once in a while instead of sitting on a rock for years.

Edit: But from a character standpoint, Arthas has a much more developed, tragic story. Deathwing is essentially nothing more than a dragon that went insane due to the Old Gods and is now doing their bidding.
    Last edited by Luminar; 2010-12-29 at 08:48 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Deathwing would seem more threatening if he didn't get his butt kicked everytime he got into a fight. Alextraza Rohin(Or what ever his name is) etc.
    And so because of that i'd have to say i liked the LK much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The Scourge says hi

Arthas definetly has more character and lore development. But for me Illidan was the best. Anytime you are imprisoned for thousands of years or have wings or fight blindfolded you are instantly a badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    What was the scourge again?

Also, I definitely think Deathwing. The whole "when he sees you, he'll kill you" thing is really good for the villainous effect. The lich king was... cool, and he looked like a pretty good villain back in Acherus, and some other places, but when it came down to his other appearances? Not so much. When Deathwing appears, he's trying to kill everyone, not trying to have a friendly chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    Arthas definetly has more character and lore development. But for me Illidan was the best. Anytime you are imprisoned for thousands of years or have wings or fight blindfolded you are instantly a badass.
    What did Illidan do as a villain, again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    I have to agree with this, Illidan didnt want to destroy the world in anyway, he just wanted to take over outlands and rule it to fight the legion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    Though, for future reference, I prefer ACTUAL seals. Baby ones. Delicious, delicious baby seals...I mean, uhh...*smoke bomb*
    There's a fine line between not listening, and not caring, I like to think I cross that line every day of my life