Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First raid last night, had troubles.

We wiped on Halfus Wyrmbreaker several times. Our group make-up was...
    Hunter(SV)
    Druidx2(Resto)
    Shaman(Resto)
    Warlock(Demo)
    Death Knight(Unholy)
    Warrior(Prot)
    Paladin(Prot)
    Mage(Fire)
    Rogue(Combat)

I know our healing set-up is not the best, but during the encounter, we seriously only lasted around 50 seconds. We had Storm Rider, and Slate Dragon up. The massive AoE damage in this fight wiped us so fast. Wondering if anyone has some tips for this fight? The Storm Rider tank died before the Halfus tank. We were stuck on which order to do aswell, including the whelps.

Thanks.

Deleted
    I can only recommend to go to Blackwing Descent and start off at Magmaw instead. If you have a bunch of good healers and some fine AoE DPS, Magmaw is a faceroll compared to the nightmare drake setup at Halfus (we had Slate Dragon, Storm Rider and Nether Scion up for our first raid. Needless to say we left battered and bruised..).

We did kill Halfus with Time Warden, Whelps and Slate Dragon the other night though. So I am guessing if you're not in top gear or top condition, your drake setup will make you want to bash your head into the wall for the rest of the reset.

Break Storm Rider first, dedicated interrupters on the boss for Shadow Nova. If your healers are up to it, break Slate Dragon next, use HoP to reset the MS stacks and tankswap once the stacks build again. Ignore the whelps and heal through the breath, continue rotating tanks until everything else dies.

The Flame AoEs hurt us the most on Halfus(From the Proto) we need a better healer set up I think. Two Druids and one Shaman is hell atm for us. Me and a few others are 350 ilvl, then some are 329-340s

Magmaw in BWD is a much easier fight. If you have a hunter or a death knight kite the adds you can kite them from start to finish and the dps can just hit the boss. Super easy.

Deleted
    Your healer setup is propably one problem, priests and paladins being the best healers in general right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Your healer setup is propably one problem, priests and paladins being the best healers in general right now.
    Yeah, and if one interrupt messed up, we wiped usually. Is it normal for him to always cast one Shadow Nova off the bat, before the drake is up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but if you have someone who can stealth sit on top of the drake and spam right click it when the encounter is starting. 9/10 times you'll get the drake active and Halfus debuffed before his 1st cast so it's interruptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Yes, but if you have someone who can stealth sit on top of the drake and spam right click it when the encounter is starting. 9/10 times you'll get the drake active and Halfus debuffed before his 1st cast so it's interruptable.
    Cool, thanks for the info.

we dont break slate dragon, and just do tank swaps.

We ALWAYS release a drake and the whelps instantly, removes the huge AoE and the whelps dont hit hard at all. Always break the rider and make sure you have a dedicated interrupter, as well as your Mage blink the third stun in P2 (Sub 50%) for that interrupt. The MS debuff is a joke and easily healed through with tank swaps around 10 stacks.

no CC in your raid comp., should have brought either a Frost DK, or Frost Mage to make up for that difference...

Healing SHOULD have been ok, considering you had 3class for that job, but those heals aren't instant outside of the Shaman. May have to consider changing a druid out for a Priest just to level things out in that regard.

Beyond that, most of what people have said about the actual fight is correct. Just keep your interrupts constant, and your healers won't have to shoulder the heavy burden of healing thru the heavy dragon damage...

Quote Originally Posted by MagusUnion View Post
    no CC in your raid comp., should have brought either a Frost DK, or Frost Mage to make up for that difference...

Healing SHOULD have been ok, considering you had 3class for that job, but those heals aren't instant outside of the Shaman. May have to consider changing a druid out for a Priest just to level things out in that regard.

Beyond that, most of what people have said about the actual fight is correct. Just keep your interrupts constant, and your healers won't have to shoulder the heavy burden of healing thru the heavy dragon damage...
    How would the tanks handle it? Halfus tank on whelps, and Halfus? Also, is there any way to negate the damage from the Proto?

What is your comment about CC? We all can tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by say10 View Post
    Magmaw in BWD is a much easier fight. If you have a hunter or a death knight kite the adds you can kite them from start to finish and the dps can just hit the boss. Super easy.
    you've never tried to heal the magmaw fight obviously D:

Yeah, I'm a resto druid and I can tell you that our position right now is horrible. Get better class healers.
    This is for you, the beta-less: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWDDma9KvAA

Quote Originally Posted by hakai View Post
    How would the tanks handle it? Halfus tank on whelps, and Halfus? Also, is there any way to negate the damage from the Proto?

What is your comment about CC? We all can tbh.
    You could, but I'd rather prefer a dedicated class or two on the job... (but mostly because I love the 'insta-freeze in place' effects, lol...)

Tanks should ALWAYS prioritize the Boss in threat, unless the fight is designed otherwise. CC and OT the other add's if they become a problem. The other reason why I mentioned 'moar CC' is because it helps reduce incoming dmg, which frees up healing mana to prolong the fight in your favor (hopefully). There is of course shaman frogging and mage sheeping, but I prefer those to be 'Oh SHIT! Someone catch that add plz nao!' situations. Frost Nova and Hungering cold are usually more effective than sheeping in some cases, but in case they aren't you always have the Polymorph option (used to things being immune to that sort of thing, idk why tbh)...

Anyway, see if uping the level of stuns/interrupts will help. It should reduce the amount and damage taken, and go along way in your fights...

we had that set up last night and my guild has similar set up as u 2 restro and shammy heals ( due to priest on holiday)
    we released both storm and whelps at the same time to reduce the income aoe damage from the proto drake.
    and make sure have ur rogue and ur warrior tank taking turns to interupt halfus all the time
    as soon as they are released pop time warp/blood lust and aoe down those whelps then kill the storm rider. and make sure ur tanks swap off at about 7th stack (between storm and halfus but not whelps) if u are lacking dps to beat enrage timer than ignore the slate dragon and just nuke halfus down (since it was our 3rd week of doing BoT we usually get both drakes down) at 30%?? get ur mage to interupt that shadowfury when he does his aoe stun

Resto druids are great on Halfus, and with both of them popping Tree of Life at the start (they should), you should have no problems surviving the dangerous early parts of the fight as long as you are doing the other things right.

TBH, it depends all on the people you have in raid. Yesterday evening we've done both magmaw and halfus.

At halfus, got a very easy setup (time warden, slate, whelps), so nuke time warden, nuke whelps nuke boss first try down.

At magmaw (which is easy) we wiped a lot. Anyway we downed it with achievement (not it's like difficult, it's how the boss simply should be done); it's a very healing intensive fight, due to lots of unavoidable damage and big hits on tank, but if you dodge the pillars and the aoe before he comes down it's very straight forward.

This fight lets you see who literally "stands in the fire"

Yah ur supposed to kick the aoe...

and yah the dragons hit harder than the boss unless the attack speed buff is on the boss, so geared tank -> drakes.

Also when the boss starts stunning u may want your more geared tank to tank the boss, it hurts.

Be sure to use the whelps.
    Shoot whoever let 3.0 go live.