Deleted

PVP weapon for PVE Use...

Heya guys,

long time reader and ocassionally posting here

I was wondering since i did my first weekly conquest point cap yesterday and prolly will cap it aswell today, is it worth getting the PVP weapons for PVE usage ?

I did a comparison on the [Blade of the Fearless] and [Bloodthirsty Gladiator's Bonegrinder] http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=64701;62473
    it doesnt really increase alot of top-end dps and i loose alot of expertise for Resil, which makes me think its not viable...

Yet i would love to have it confirmed as i spoke to some other people in trade chat, which says it could be viable...

(edit: i prolly would be using it mostly for tanking)
    (edit2: the comparison tool shows the 353 2h mace, but i obviously intent to buy the 359 2h mace... cant seem to get it right eighter...)

http://www.wowhead.com/item=61339 == PVP
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=62454 == PVE
    Last edited by mmoc46acbcd7f9; 2010-12-29 at 02:55 PM.

This comparison is off simply because the items levels aren't the same, in this case it'd be beneficial to use the PvP one seeing as you've met all your caps and both the raw damage AND amount of strength are higher.

Deleted
    eventhough the massive ammount of expertise is lost for resil which is useless in pve?

15+ Year Old Account
    For the two weapons you have, the PvP one is the better choice.

However: If you already hit the exp/hit caps, you'll want something with Mastery on it. That'll make a bigger difference than the bit of stamina and threat you gain

Deleted
    well, the thing is, im in a friends guild which has at most 5 people online... which made me do pvp in the first place..

I think its more as it was in BC, where PVP weapons sometimes were better then the items you could (easily) obtain through pve
    I c.b.a. to raid atm though but i dont want to gimp myself wearing the PVP weapon in a daily heroic.

on a side note, i've been reading about "top end" (look at kungen for example) tanks going under 1% hit and 1% expertise and reforge those stats for avoidance..

Hows the consensus here about that?

(edit: thanks for the responses people :P)

I'd say the pvp weapon would be viable. There are plenty of methods of gaining that expertise back through reforging, enchants,a nd gems. And iirc you don't use as much for a 2h and you do for DW. I'd say go for it.

Deleted
    mm, if you've reached the expertise cap, go for the PvP weapon. Otherwise, take the PvE sword.
    That'll save reforging to improve other more important stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperactive View Post
    well, the thing is, im in a friends guild which has at most 5 people online... which made me do pvp in the first place..

I think its more as it was in BC, where PVP weapons sometimes were better then the items you could (easily) obtain through pve
    I c.b.a. to raid atm though but i dont want to gimp myself wearing the PVP weapon in a daily heroic.

on a side note, i've been reading about "top end" (look at kungen for example) tanks going under 1% hit and 1% expertise and reforge those stats for avoidance..

Hows the consensus here about that?

(edit: thanks for the responses people :P)
    The "top end" people are generally talking about isent Kungen and other top world first guilds. They play in a different league. Kungen totally ignores agro stats for survaival because of two important reasons. First off, the dps (and himself) have such a huge ammount of "skill" that agro issent such a big issue because they can throw huge numbers in situations where other people fail because of agro or whatever. In his situation, the dps just do so much dps that they will down de boss anywais by waiting 10s while the tanks picks up initial agro, while other people might just need those 10s to down him before enrage.

Seccond reason is that they aim for world firsts, and at the beginning of a pach of content they are generally super undergeared for it, and in those situations tank survaivability is a big issue, and they try to maximize it. While everybody else got full normal blues and then went to the heroic dungeons before raiding, they just went straight to raiding, AND managed to somehow finish the normal raid bosses.

So yes, looking at players like Kungen and others is a big help, dont just copy him blindly. Dont do the contrary eather, the idea is to pick up some guidlines, and then apply them to your own self to see if things work out better. And to not leave subject, yes, the pvp weapon is better. First off because of the fact that you do pvp and pve, its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone, if you dont aspire to hard-core PvE hardmodes and such, where maximizing survaivability is a really important issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zavia View Post
    The "top end" people are generally talking about isent Kungen and other top world first guilds. They play in a different league. Kungen totally ignores agro stats for survaival because of two important reasons. First off, the dps (and himself) have such a huge ammount of "skill" that agro issent such a big issue because they can throw huge numbers in situations where other people fail because of agro or whatever. In his situation, the dps just do so much dps that they will down de boss anywais by waiting 10s while the tanks picks up initial agro, while other people might just need those 10s to down him before enrage.
    Seccond reason is that they aim for world firsts, and at the beginning of a pach of content they are generally super undergeared for it, and in those situations tank survaivability is a big issue, and they try to maximize it. While everybody else got full normal blues and then went to the heroic dungeons before raiding, they just went straight to raiding, AND managed to somehow finish the normal raid bosses.

So yes, looking at players like Kungen and others is a big help, dont just copy him blindly. Dont do the contrary eather, the idea is to pick up some guidlines, and then apply them to your own self to see if things work out better. And to not leave subject, yes, the pvp weapon is better. First off because of the fact that you do pvp and pve, its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone, if you dont aspire to hard-core PvE hardmodes and such, where maximizing survaivability is a really important issue.
    thanks for the response it showed alot of insight into the matter why those kind of progression guilds ignore hit and expertise...

15+ Year Old Account
    As for reforging/regemming as a tank: We just don't know yet. Neither pwnwear nor EJ nor maintankadin or tankspot has come to any conclusion.
    We know it's doable to tank HMs with stamina/mastery since that's what most progress guilds do. But in the end it comes down to personal preference until we get some hard math (and even then it will be hard since it will all change on a fight to fight basis.)

Gems are a rather small percentage of our total stats right now. If you get 2000 health more through gemming doesn't mean much if your total health exceeds the 160'000 mark. Same goes for one percent avoidance or 3 points of mastery.

If you compare that numbers to the numbers in wotlk, where gems could buff your HP by a good 15-20% we're thinking in different dimensions now.