Looking for Specific Map Addon Feature

I've tried searching a bit, but I don't know how to search for the specific feature I'm looking for - thus I have come here!

Everyone has been looking for something on their map as they fly... you change subzones or zones entirely and the map resets back to your current zone. In many zones (such as flying over a city) you can't even look at anything else in the world because you are so rapidly changing subzones. It drives me absolutely nuts - if I wanted to see what zone I was in, I'd double tap 'M' and look for myself.

What I am looking for is an addon (or perhaps even a script or tweak) that is capable of STOPPING that functionality. I want to be able to look at my map exactly where I told it to look and nowhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just one shameless bump to see if anyone has any advice for me before my thread gets buried for all eternity. =(

I was just thinking about it again and figured I'd double check that I never got any responses... the lack of responses tells me there probably is no such addon.

Carbonite would replace your WoW map with theirs, and I think it stayed wherever you were looking. But that is a big addon just to change the map.

I think this is just a feature of the game. I know what you mean though it is annoying sometimes.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

This is not a feature of the game~

AddOns (like Gatherer, Routes, GatherMate, etc) that need to know the zone which you are located in,
    first set the map to the current zone, and then grab the Area ID, so they e.g. know where to put the mining veins on your map.

Just try flying around, without any addons enabled, you'll see that when you change zones, the map won't change with you.
    Last edited by Ketho; 2011-02-10 at 08:54 AM.

Deleted
    Actually, any addon that requires your current map position (and that's a LOT of addons) needs to set your map to the current zone first. However, proper procedure would be only doing it when the map is not open.

Yeah, right...

Interesting, thanks for the replies, everyone. I suppose it is just futile... oh well. I've lived with it for many years, I'm sure I'll live with it for a few more to come.

Deleted
    What you could always try is:
    Make an addon where the folder name starts with an !:
    Code:
    local function smtcz = SetMapToCurrentZone
    function SetMapToCurrentZone()
        if not WorldMapFrame:IsShown() then smtcz() end
    end
    Though it's probably going to break functionality in some other addons.