Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dear dps who just want to be "helpful"

Just got out of a dungeon I was tanking and figured I'd tell dps something. If the tank doesn't specifically ask you to, or mark something and tell you go. Don't! Personally I'd rather you pull ahead of me with dps then randomly cast mc, preventing me from picking that add up, and aggroing all the others. Only exception to this is 1)CCing mid pull 2) Being a rogue. I love rogues

maybe some dps are trying to help by ccing mobs because they get tanks who think they can just aoe tank everything

Yea it does really get annoying when some people cc stuff that I didn't ask em to... especially something like mind control where it'll be broken mid-pull and have insane aggro on the priest.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Well as a rogue I just CC a mob while the others are getting ready, and if Ive been to the instance before I will mark the mobs, to encourage others CC and to make it easier, I never pull though.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or maybe, pre warn the dps before you start pulling at the beginning of a dungeon run. Some tanks 'not saying you' don't understand CC and insist on aoe pulling everything then followed by a wipe. I'm tipping dps in your case probably trying to make things easier for you and the healer.

Again please just let your group know of your intentions, instead of making another useless forum thread.

Deleted
    who said the tank is in charge of the cc? If anyone is it would be the healer IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    being a tank i'd rather myself mark targets to CC but i'd like for dps to CC pull, i have taunts to fix any problems

Quote Originally Posted by Feralia View Post
    Or maybe, pre warn the dps before you start pulling at the beginning of a dungeon run. Some tanks 'not saying you' don't understand CC and insist on aoe pulling everything then followed by a wipe. I'm tipping dps in your case probably trying to make things easier for you and the healer.

Again please just let your group know of your intentions, instead of making another useless forum thread.
    This was a regular dungeon, and we were using cc, just not the priests mc. Also the healer was manaing up.

As a healer I would like as much CC as possible. CC's role in heroics and dungeons is to reduce the damage to the tank and the group, therfore its reasonable to asume that if you have it, use it. Sure I can keep the tank and group alive without the cc in most cases but why should I have to work harder just so the tank can feel like a super hero bitch slapping a bunch of mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkz View Post
    who said the tank is in charge of the cc? If anyone is it would be the healer IMO.
    It should be whoever is most familiar with the dungeon, but this should be decided upon before beginning. All things being equal, I guess it would be the tank, as he might pull differently depending on his abilities relative to other tank classes, and want to LoS or something.

If the healer is more knowledgeable about what mobs hurt more, then by all means, let the healer mark.

All it needs is communication.
    Last edited by cybermind; 2010-12-30 at 10:36 AM.

How exactly do you figure that?

The tank picks up aggro, and holds the enemies attention through the entirety of the fight.
    Therefore, it makes sense that the tanks organize the pull.

Healers do enough as is.

Besides Tanks have always been the ones to mark as far back as I can remember. They set the tone for the whole instance. They're basically leading it.
    Everything I say is absolute. If you disagree, then you're a communist. - Me

Lest we forget the certainty of my awesome. For I can say with certainty, that there lies no uncertainty pertaining to that of my awesome. Therefore, I shall remain forever and always awesome. - Me

is it really so hard to switch targets?
    i mean honestly id prefer the dps to mc the mob im tanking than to have no cc whatsoever
    so stop the QQ and be happy some dps have the mind to help
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

15+ Year Old Account
    thread title should be 'dear priests who just want to MC' as that's all you're whining about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Premise View Post
    How exactly do you figure that?

The tank picks up aggro, and holds the enemies attention through the entirety of the fight.
    Therefore, it makes sense that the tanks organize the pull.

Healers do enough as is.

Besides Tanks have always been the ones to mark as far back as I can remember. They set the tone for the whole instance. They're basically leading it.
    Because the tank doesn't have to give two shits about which mobs do the most damage, that healer keeping you alive does. All you do is hold aggro; that healer is the one forced to work twice as hard when some tank goes "we don't need to CC here" or marks CC on the mobs that do hardly any damage while they snag the heavy hitting mobs instead.

As a DPS, I will remark mobs when I know for a fact the tank is just randomly marking them for CC because he/she doesn't know which ones should be CC'ed. If you're constantly marking the melee mobs for CC and charging in to get those casters and breaking any CC I just did, I'm taking your job from you. Sorry.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

honestly, never had a problem with MC breaking early if I was within normal range and the mob stopped moving AND no one aggros the rest of the mobs while my MC is being killed. Really, the whole point to an MC pull is to let the mob die. And if a priest doesn't fade after the MC wears off, that's pretty bad. (Note: Fade doesn't seem to be enough for a mob that has had MC wear off because tanks didn't want to let my MC target die, I'm assuming this is the fundamentals of MC)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Deleted
    See - you get random people there with random approaches and it's always a problem - there's some random mob there I could cc to make things easier - so what to do ?

- Do CC not asked - Rage that I wasn't asked to do CC
    - Do not CC not asked - Rage that it was so obvious CC that I shouldn't be needed to be asked to do it

See - with random people you just have to treat them like kids in kindergarden and just tell them "even if shit hits the fan do not cc unless asked beforehand". Or something like that - before the pull - even if people try their best they never know what kind of tank they got, how does he pull and so on.
    Last edited by mmoc8c38b7d291; 2010-12-30 at 10:48 AM.

Yeah, I hate when priests use their MC. It's like they don't realize they can't cast it again.

Oh, what? They can? And if they open with an MC everything in the group just beats up their buddy for a bit, allowing the tank to gather aggro without eating initial burst, and allows everyone else time to get their CC off as well, when it's far away from the rest of the group?

Yes, the priest has insane aggro from MC. You can also taunt and they can fade, and since it's probably a shadow priest they can disperse and not take damage, among stuns etc. It's just a few of many reasons why MC targets get killed last. Plus MCing the wardens in BRC is hilarious, their frost bombs tear mobs apart. I have yet to have a problem with the tank pulling a mob I MC'ed off of me. In fact, the only problem I've had with MC was when I blinked into a group of mobs on accident, and then the MC broke because it was out of range. He brought buddies back, and it hurt. But that's not MC's fault, that's me doing something stupid.

The moral of the story is: suck it up. It's not wrath anymore, and the DPS aren't around to just aoe down the things the tank pulls anymore. You need us as much as we need you now, regardless of queue times. Learn to work with us instead of talking down to us, and maybe some of the dps who are still living in wrath will understand that they can't just rely on you for everything anymore. If you find priests MCing your main target a lot, or other CC when you don't want it, it seems from your post it's more likely because of your condescending attitude rather than them trying to be "helpful".

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh, whoever picks the best targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamslam View Post
    Because the tank doesn't have to give two shits about which mobs do the most damage, that healer keeping you alive does. All you do is hold aggro; that healer is the one forced to work twice as hard when some tank goes "we don't need to CC here" or marks CC on the mobs that do hardly any damage while they snag the heavy hitting mobs instead.

As a DPS, I will remark mobs when I know for a fact the tank is just randomly marking them for CC because he/she doesn't know which ones should be CC'ed. If you're constantly marking the melee mobs for CC and charging in to get those casters and breaking any CC I just did, I'm taking your job from you. Sorry.
    I agree with all of this except the "all tanks do is aggro." Its not a easy job being a tank and holding that aggro when you have all the dps trying to slam themselves to the top of recount as fast as possible.

I will CC known casters if the tank doesnt mark them. Generally, they get broken anyway. It doesnt hurt to cc something that isnt marked if you keep your eye on the cd and make sure to re-up if its getting to close to falling off.

I hate reading "we dont need to cc here" from a tank...

I don't care if you're bad, just don't be a bitch... word.

I'll cc pull because dk's don't understand what it means to not touch sheeps