Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tankadin pre raid tanking gear

Hey,

is there a pre-raid tanking gear list somewhere?
    can't find it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite simple: Check heroics and reputation factions. If you are a blacksmith to that (or have one in your guild), then you can go more easily with aditional gear.

Can try maintankadin for a gear list but there is no "a b c... x y z are the best, put these enchants on, put these gems in, reforge this to this" holding hand guide.

The below lists should include all viable tanking options (except trinkets, filtering those is a PITA) they really are all viable, which you choose depends entirely on your luck and how much threat you are willing to sacrifice to stack avoidance/mastery.

Tip: Mastery is king.

Blue ilvl 346 dungeon/reputation/justice gear
    http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=...0:0:0:0:0;gb=1

And your Epic ilvl 359 rep gear:

Just for good measure - Valor rewards

If you want BSing pieces go find them yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Serenais View Post
    Quite simple: Check heroics and reputation factions. If you are a blacksmith to that (or have one in your guild), then you can go more easily with aditional gear.
    wow that wasn't helpful at all.
    i know that i can look, and i have looked, but i was wondering if there is a list somewhere..

i understand the will to help, but if u can't answer the question then it's not really helping

any1 knows if there's a list somewhere with all the gear needed and whats best? i saw there's a great one for ret but i need one for tanking...

Maintankadin is the place to go for this. I cant post links yet, but if you go to their forums, there is 2 stickies under the Gear Discussions and Advice tab that has gear lists.

pretty much just get every piece of gear at least to ilvl 346 and you're good for raiding, gear wise. there's no specific list since there's alot of tanking gear available now unlike at the start of WotLK.

you'll get most pieces of tank gear out of Heroic Halls of Origination if they can actually drop.
    Last edited by Lumidar; 2010-12-30 at 12:48 PM.

Item level is the least of your concerns (as long as you meet Blizz's weak requirement). Get hit and expertise cap for sure, and get block as high as you can by reforging mastery etc. Check the maintankadin link above and also look at elitistjerks:

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110338-...3_2010_4_0_3a/

While it won't give you a "list" per se, it will definitely fill you in on what stats etc. to gem/reforge for and so on. Often times, regardless of ilvl and gs etc., the highest lvl items are not always the best if you have stat deficiencies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lthompson94 View Post
    Item level is the least of your concerns (as long as you meet Blizz's weak requirement). Get hit and expertise cap for sure, and get block as high as you can by reforging mastery etc. Check the maintankadin link above and also look at elitistjerks:
    You need to be neither hit or expertise capped for raids or heroics. Especially at the current level of itemisation it is a waste of stats to do so as threat issues are non existent.

Item level is the least of your concerns (as long as you meet Blizz's weak requirement). Get hit and expertise cap for sure
    This is terrible advice that people really need to stop throwing out there.

Hit until cap, then expertise are our best threat problems, but currently paladin tanks who are competent are not having threat problems.

Pick up every piece of plate gear that without crit or haste (avoid pieces with both hit and expertise) and make sure that every piece has mastery on it or reforged on it and you can't go wrong.

Keep your dodge and parry levels as close together because they're basically equal now so one dosn't get hit too hard by diminishing returns.

Most socket bonuses are worth getting: Stam in blue, stam/mastery in green, stam parry in red.

There are also a crap ton of lists floating around and learning how to filter on wowhead is a useful skill.

BTW: Look over this, it's pretty much everything you can use, use common sense on the trinket procs.

http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=...:0:0;gb=1#back
    Last edited by texaport; 2010-12-30 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaport View Post
    This is terrible advice that people really need to stop throwing out there.

Hit until cap, then expertise are our best threat problems, but currently paladin tanks who are competent are not having threat problems.

Pick up every piece of plate gear that without crit or haste (avoid pieces with both hit and expertise) and make sure that every piece has mastery on it or reforged on it and you can't go wrong.

Keep your dodge and parry levels as close together because they're basically equal now so one dosn't get hit too hard by diminishing returns.

Most socket bonuses are worth getting: Stam in blue, stam/mastery in green, stam parry in red.

There are also a crap ton of lists floating around and learning how to filter on wowhead is a useful skill.
    Sorry, I do what's been researched and proven over what some tank does who I've never seen in action. Also, pure mastery or parry/mastery beats stamina any day, and last I checked there's no green socket. Again, I'm just going by what's been researched and proven. But keep stacking stam like WotLK if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by texaport View Post
    That's reasonable advice, but not exactly true. I did all the math and developed the equations to figure out whether parry or dodge is optimal, and the breakeven point usually has parry a couple percent higher. (Basically because you get 5% base parry prior to DR but only 3.6%-ish base dodge prior to DR).

When I have all the stuff organized and easily explainable, I'll post it here, the formulas are very long and explaining what gets counted in DR and what doesn't is a bit complicated.

That's the thing with "researched and proven" - might as well claim, the fact that the Paladin MT of Method had stamina gems wherever he could and the hybrid gems were Mastery/stam and exp/stam - so you could say, if it works for the most advanced guild in the world, hey...shouldn't it work for us?
    Oh, so even HE had exp gems to hit the cap. Hmm. And I bet he was also block capped (or as close as he could get) before stacking stamina... interesting.
    Last edited by lthompson94; 2010-12-30 at 05:49 PM.

Higher base parry, getting parry from Strength and gemming parry (because dodge is yellow and mastery > dodge) pretty much always lead to parry being higher so trying to even them out still leads to parry being at least 1.4% higher.

Thanks for the tip though, have you run any numbers on threat gen from parry haste?

Sorry, I do what's been researched and proven over what some tank does who I've never seen in action. Also, pure mastery or parry/mastery beats stamina any day, and last I checked there's no green socket. Again, I'm just going by what's been researched and proven. But keep stacking stam like WotLK if you like.
    Also if someone is here asking for a pre-raid tanking list, they're not going to be tanking raids. What cutting edge guilds do in progression content is not the same as gering up in heroics.

And sorry that I made a mistake. Green gem in yellow socket, oh no! My whole argument is invalid now!
    Last edited by texaport; 2010-12-30 at 05:54 PM.

Deleted
    Oh, so even HE had exp gems to hit the cap. Hmm. And I bet he was also block capped (or as close as he could get) before stacking stamina... interesting.
    Yeah blocked capped in Cata that happens a lot. What do you think the precision stats are for aside from threat? Take a guess if they are valuable if you aren't having threat issues

Theckhd said:
    "I've been reforging away from threat as much as possible, for the most part. Threat is only an issue for the first 30 seconds of any of the fights I've seen so far (which is everything except Nefarian), and Tricks/MD cover that. It sucks when you miss 3 of your first 4 attacks on the boss, but that's what taunt is for."
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

So it is probably best not to ignore what one of the main theorycrafters for paladins thinks is the right way to prioritise stats, the main field he works in is threat theorycrafting....

Also if someone is here asking for a pre-raid tanking list, they're not going to be tanking raids. What cutting edge guilds do in progression content is not the same as gering up in heroics.
    You're right. It's hard for me to gear without raiding in mind, and spending hours reforging and reading up. I apologize for my tankish attitude, lol. The yellow socket mistake was also a low-blow. I knew what you meant.

I've always gone for proper threat levels (hit and exp) > block/avoidance caps > stamina. If you're getting the threat you need skip it until you're not. It just sucks to find out you're not generating the threat you need the hard way. And I've always had better survivability prioritizing avoidance/block over effective health, even when it wasn't the cool thing to do (WotLK).

If you could get block capped at current gear levels, you'd see every top end tank gemming straight mastery. But you can't, and they don't. Nobody is going for the expertise cap at the moment, or the hit cap. I didn't look at the Method pally tank's armory, but I'd be willing to bet that he wasn't expertise capped either, just filling up a few gem slots with expertise instead of parry for the additional threat.

Stamina is still really important, and much MUCH more important than hit or expertise. Stop being wrong.

Yeah blocked capped in Cata that happens a lot. What do you think the precision stats are for aside from threat? Take a guess if they are valuable if you aren't having threat issues
    It's difficult, but you can get pretty damn close w/ holy shield. I'd always get as close as possible on mastery (since theres currently no DR) before I prioritized EH.

And I'm not down with "that's what taunt is for." Missing 3/4 hits just isn't a risk I'll take. Just me. Gotta love freedom.

---------- Post added 2010-12-30 at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
    Stamina is still really important, and much MUCH more important than hit or expertise. Stop being wrong.
    Or you could read. I said avoidance was better than stam. And by exp cap I mean 26 not 55. And pretty much everyone is hit capped, honestly its kind of hard to avoid.
    Last edited by lthompson94; 2010-12-30 at 06:05 PM.