Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Origano View Post
    Yep, could've read wrong. Sorry if I did!

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 12:09 AM ----------

Actually you can be held accountant of blogs etc, atleast it's so in finland.

There are cases in WoW where a boy sent a message to GM telling he would commit suicide.. The rest is history.

That case about the suicide you speak of happened in my RL friend's guild. He was the GM of the guild and they had noticed that one of the members was acting unusual. On vent he was going insane. So the Guild master sent a PM to the GM of the server and explained what was going on and that X had been talking about suicide on vent. The GM found his IP address and contacted the local police near the young man's house. They found him dead in his room from an overdose. My RL friend (the guildmaster) then had to be questioned by the police over the phone about the behavior of X. Thats realy all my friend could tell me. Oh, and they were on the realm Uldum in one of the top raiding guilds of Vanilla/TBC.

This stuff does happen IRL. If you srsly dont think what you do or say in a virtual game impacts someone IRL then you are mistaken. Some people may just be so fragile and at the point of breaking when you say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing in the game to them, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ershiin View Post
    Oh.. My.. God..
    This is petty beyond belief.

Why dont we start complaining about how M&Ms should be color coded while we're at it?
    Or how it should be called a Burger with Cheese because Cheeseburger is misleading?

I'll have to be the "nagger" here.

Calls like that prevent people with real, acute problems getting through the lines. That's horrendous!

And no, with an attitude like that I don't think you really work for such a system.
    I know a guy who works as a 911 dispatcher, and he gets stupid calls all the time. He finds them hilarious. That doesn't make him any less of a 911 dispatcher.

Quit being so ignorant, people can have fun with their jobs, even if it is "irresponsible" (and it isn't irresponsible, as 90% of your time as a 911 dispatcher is sitting around doing jack shit waiting for a call to come in for hours at a time).
    (19:15:45) (Bibi) telling me that it makes you harder isn't the best way to make me stop you know

Boubouille is a whore!

This thread is full of stupid, and not just the person who called 911, if true.

Getting your panties all up in a bunch because this call may have made the line busy and gotten someone killed is dumb. First of all, the chances of that actually causing a death are extremely small. Could it happen? Sure. Could that dumbshit bank robber trying to escape the bank after robbing it by pushing the door instead of pulling have accidentally shot someone? Sure. Could this person so obviously terrible at driving that they smash into 5 cars while trying to park kill someone on the road? Sure. But that's not stopping me or the rest of the sane world from laughing at them for being retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Jerry View Post
    yeah the FOIA, but only if the information is important to you or relates to you. I can't just go out a request information on someone i don't know just for laughs.
    Sure you can. How do you think the news media alway gets 911 calls to play on their newscasts?

You can get anything that's considered a matter of public record (typically any document produced with tax dollars) through a Freedom of Information Act request provided it does not meet one of the exemptions. There are a handful of really obscure ones, but the meat and bones of the exemptions are these: You can't get classified or privileged information; you can't get information related solely to internal agency rules or practices; you can't get documents that contain trade secrets; you can't get documents that are clear invasions of privacy (for example, you can't get the medical records of a member of the military or the personnel records of somebody working in the White House); and you can't get information about police investigations that basically boils down to: If it FUBARs their case or puts somebody's life in danger to release the information, you can't have it. If you're interested in all the conditions or the more specific terms, they're all available in list form at http://www.sec.gov/foia/nfoia.htm or in a much more detailed review by the USDOJ at http://www.justice.gov/oip/foi-act.htm.

That said, I would suspect you probably can't get this particular 911 call because it's evidence of a potential crime. If the police were to investigate and the prosecutor were to bring charges, the tape being released before that might hurt their case or the accused's ability to get a fair trial. Though ironically it would be admitted as evidence.
    Last edited by jb226; 2010-12-30 at 10:34 PM.

Deleted
    To the OP

Thank you!

I can assure everyone this was a real call.
    The person did not realize they had called 911, and when they were informed they had, they apologized and promptly disconnected the line.
    Accidents happen, and you should NOT be afraid to dial 911.

I've accidently dialed 911 on my moms crapberry like 3 times second time i had a short convo with the guy on the line lol stupid emergency button yo

I find it amusing they didn't realize they had called 911, although I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm a Virginia native right now. Silly people...
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

I used to work as a Spanish - English interpreter for "LEP"s (Low English Proficient people.) and trust me, over half of the calls we would get from 911 were people that didn't know where to call for an address, not getting signal from their cellphones, not knowing how to enter the code for a prepaid phone card, or just with the weirdest cases (not life threatening or the sorts).

I am not surprised in the least, OP just happened to know what the caller was talking about.
    Last edited by Predatard; 2010-12-30 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    While i agree with the rest of your post in morality, i have to say that if you believe people in positions of Authority, or even in a position of knowing about someone (and by that, i mean even simple things such as Warehouse Guys, Mail Service, etc) don't have a sense of humour that's sometimes dark, satirical, and even morally wrong, then you have led a sheltered life.

At a place of work, you merely show a sense of respectful humour, but outside there, even if it's "wrong" to do so, your own humour is just that; Your own. When i'm at work (or even just posting on public forums such as this one), i don't know the audience, so i limit my boundaries as much as is needed. In more closed places, and amongst close friends, laughing and joking about anything and everything with no holds barred is just a daily routine to brighten the chat up a little. It doesn't mean we agree with everything said, but just that it's simple humour on the surface with no further meaning and certainly wouldn't change perceptions about anything.

The same applies here with regards to the OP. Personally, i don't find this such a funny matter, but in the end, life's too short to not at least give it a glance and a thought about how it is on the surface.

I've gone into it too much haven't i. *sigh*
    This, I'd cry if my cat suddenly burst into flames... but if it happened to someone else's... then I'd burst into tears of laughter.

I'll have to be the "nagger" here.

Calls like that prevent people with real, acute problems getting through the lines. That's horrendous!

And no, with an attitude like that I don't think you really work for such a system.
    I know someone who is an EMT and I fully believe that the OP could easily have said job. You probably don't know this, but people who have jobs that other people sometimes rely on for their literal life aren't all ghandi and mother theresa. My friend actually has a worse outlook on the average human than I do as a food service employee, and there are very few worse places to be treated like you're less valuable than a dirt clod than the food service industry. She particularly dislikes old people as they are usually cranky and ungrateful.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary13579 View Post
    I know a guy who works as a 911 dispatcher, and he gets stupid calls all the time. He finds them hilarious. That doesn't make him any less of a 911 dispatcher.

Quit being so ignorant, people can have fun with their jobs, even if it is "irresponsible" (and it isn't irresponsible, as 90% of your time as a 911 dispatcher is sitting around doing jack shit waiting for a call to come in for hours at a time).
    This. One of my best friends is a 911 dispatcher and after getting call after call regarding car accidents, fires, robberies, etc., she's grateful for the occasional call that makes her laugh. She's still awesome at her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesia View Post
    This. One of my best friends is a 911 dispatcher and after getting call after call regarding car accidents, fires, robberies, etc., she's grateful for the occasional call that makes her laugh. She's still awesome at her job.
    Picking up a phone is hard? or is that even necessary anymore with headpeices

Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    Picking up a phone is hard? or is that even necessary anymore with headpeices
    Because that would be the hardest part of the job right...except maybe having to talk to people who are assisting people who have suffered massive trauma..or the people themselves who are suffering massive trauma..

Some people just open their mouths without thinking at all..the mind boggles..

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I'm a Lifeguard in charge of a local swimming pool and legally responsible for people's lives when they swim. It might seem strange that I hate some of the people that do swim for me, Whether their stroke sucks or too skiny, fat ugly, weird annoying or naggy about somthing.
    Does that make me a bad lifeguard? Does me talking to other lifeguards and emplyees about strange people that make me laugh make me a horrible person?

A example if you will
    a Old man the other day came up to me and pointed out another man in the pool, told me that he thinks he is a killer. I told the man i would handle it. Since i know the other swimmer i go to my boss for a backround check, after looking around turns out our "informer" is a little off his rocker. me and my boss and a few other lifeguards promptly laugh at the situation. Does this make us horrible people?

In high stress jobs, you have to laugh at the little things, whether it be a crazy old man who thinks everyone is a killer, or the old lady with a camel toe. or the kid who calls you up asking for a pin for his WoW account.

Otherwise We would all go 0.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vacor View Post
    Considering I'm a Lifeguard in charge of a local swimming pool and legally responsible for people's lives when they swim. It might seem strange that I hate some of the people that do swim for me, Whether their stroke sucks or too skiny, fat ugly, weird annoying or naggy about somthing.
    Does that make me a bad lifeguard? Does me talking to other lifeguards and emplyees about strange people that make me laugh make me a horrible person?

A example if you will
    a Old man the other day came up to me and pointed out another man in the pool, told me that he thinks he is a killer. I told the man i would handle it. Since i know the other swimmer i go to my boss for a backround check, after looking around turns out our "informer" is a little off his rocker. me and my boss and a few other lifeguards promptly laugh at the situation. Does this make us horrible people?

In high stress jobs, you have to laugh at the little things, whether it be a crazy old man who thinks everyone is a killer, or the old lady with a camel toe. or the kid who calls you up asking for a pin for his WoW account.

Otherwise We would all go 0.o

Clearwater eh? Sup from Ocala.

OT: People call in for dumb things all day every day. Its going to happen, Thanks for sharing OP, made my day a little brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
    That case about the suicide you speak of happened in my RL friend's guild. He was the GM of the guild and they had noticed that one of the members was acting unusual. On vent he was going insane. So the Guild master sent a PM to the GM of the server and explained what was going on and that X had been talking about suicide on vent. The GM found his IP address and contacted the local police near the young man's house. They found him dead in his room from an overdose. My RL friend (the guildmaster) then had to be questioned by the police over the phone about the behavior of X. Thats realy all my friend could tell me. Oh, and they were on the realm Uldum in one of the top raiding guilds of Vanilla/TBC.

This stuff does happen IRL. If you srsly dont think what you do or say in a virtual game impacts someone IRL then you are mistaken. Some people may just be so fragile and at the point of breaking when you say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing in the game to them, unfortunately.
    you sir, are full of the proverbial, shit. You dont just 'pm the gm of the server' you have never been able to do such things on wow. and the story they are referring to was a guy who told a GM he was gonna top himself if he didnt sort his account out. GM contacted cops, and they rocked up on his doorstep much to the surprise of his mother and father and the boy was of course just fine.