Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    That mushkin RAM you've decided to buy is excellent RAM. For a £600 budget you could probably get a decent i5-2500K sandybridge setup.
    To be honest I don't think I will, the prices of the 15-2500k is £170 and my OCed CPU, Mobo, Ram, and cooler are £220, as well as the fact the i3 is ready overclocked which is a major must for me, in the future I will learn to overclock with my old T11 rig but for now I am not risking doing it myself on a computer I need / one I have spent £500 on hardware on.

Thanks

Matt

Deleted
    Maybe i'm playing devil's advocate here. However if you can push that £580 budget by £3 and find an alternative OS(linux/Ubuntu), then there are some excellent alternatives.

From Ebuyer:

CPU: Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Box Processor £183.95

Mobo: Asrock P67 Pro3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £86.84

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM £32.68

RAM: G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ripjaw Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.65V £55.02

GFX: PALIT GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card £117.32

Case: Coolermaster Elite 335 Case - No PSU £29.39

PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail £66.14

DVD Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5260S 24x DVD±RW & DL SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black £11.99

Including free delivery, total comes to £583

If you increase you budget by roughly £20, you could get the ASUS LE or the MSI C45. Both have quick auto overclock features of the CPU. In short, by just the press of a button you could OC your CPU to 4.2GHz no problems whatsoever, using their excellent stock cooler. The ASROCK Mobo is a rock solid board though, and OCIng your CPU is alot simpler with these new SandyBridge CPUs. Choice is yours ofc. The RAM also comes very highly recommended too!
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2011-01-11 at 02:32 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the effort but this is a budget system for a reason, at £580 I am already £30 over budget, I can just about ( and I mean literally only just) stretch to that, £583 with no OS would leave me dead in the water (and not to mention what my wife would do to me if I spent anymore)
    Last edited by mmoc38ac3ad4dd; 2011-01-11 at 02:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Deleted
    No problem. Its a shame about the OS. The sandy bridge CPU even at stock should perform amazingly well compared to the oc'ed i3-540, but that is still a beast of a budget processor you have there. Enjoy your new build.

Deleted
    No problem. Its a shame about the OS. The sandy bridge CPU even at stock should perform amazingly well compared to the oc'ed i3-540, but that is still a beast of a budget processor you have there. Enjoy your new build.
    Indeed it is but in a year or so I can build a really meaty system as our debts will be paid off by then and should be able to afford £1000 for a rig, and the one I am building now can replace the Packard bell for web surfing / rig for my wife to occasionally play wow on so I am happy, after all the best I have ever really played wow on is high back in vanilla, since BC I have played on medium and in the last year its been low settings so it will be stunning to play the game as its meant to be again.

One last thing is my choice of Mobo,(aria seem to be flexible so should beable to switch mobos in the bundle and maybe even save the difference) the one in the bundle at the moment is an MSI H55M-ED55, on a tech forum where I posted this build they recommended I try to go with a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H Intel H55 as MSI are just known for making * consistently good* Mobos and that they "used" to be better quality w/better reliability than they are now whereas Asus and gigabyte are the top two, what do you guys think of this?

Is there a noticeable difference between the two Mobos in performance and quality? Weird thing is-is that the gigabyte board is ~£35 cheaper than the MSI one.

Thanks
    Last edited by mmoc38ac3ad4dd; 2011-01-12 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Edit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Einholt View Post
    Indeed it is but in a year or so I can build a really meaty system as our debts will be paid off by then and should be able to afford £1000 for a rig, and the one I am building now can replace the Packard bell for web surfing / rig for my wife to occasionally play wow on so I am happy, after all the best I have ever really played wow on is high back in vanilla, since BC I have played on medium and in the last year its been low settings so it will be stunning to play the game as its meant to be again.

One last thing is my choice of Mobo,(aria seem to be flexible so should beable to switch mobos in the bundle and maybe even save the difference) the one in the bundle at the moment is an MSI H55M-ED55, on a tech forum where I posted this build they recommended I try to go with a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H Intel H55 as MSI are just known for making * consistently good* Mobos and that they "used" to be better quality w/better reliability than they are now whereas Asus and gigabyte are the top two, what do you guys think of this?

Is there a noticeable difference between the two Mobos in performance and quality? Weird thing is-is that the gigabyte board is ~£35 cheaper than the MSI one.

Thanks

Anyone that can help with the motherboard question?

Thanks

Einholt

Deleted
    Maybe i'm playing devil's advocate here. However if you can push that £580 budget by £3 and find an alternative OS(linux/Ubuntu), then there are some excellent alternatives.

From Ebuyer:

CPU: Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Box Processor £183.95

Mobo: Asrock P67 Pro3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £86.84

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM £32.68

RAM: G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ripjaw Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.65V £55.02

GFX: PALIT GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card £117.32

Case: Coolermaster Elite 335 Case - No PSU £29.39

PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail £66.14

DVD Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5260S 24x DVD±RW & DL SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black £11.99

Including free delivery, total comes to £583

If you increase you budget by roughly £20, you could get the ASUS LE or the MSI C45. Both have quick auto overclock features of the CPU. In short, by just the press of a button you could OC your CPU to 4.2GHz no problems whatsoever, using their excellent stock cooler. The ASROCK Mobo is a rock solid board though, and OCIng your CPU is alot simpler with these new SandyBridge CPUs. Choice is yours ofc. The RAM also comes very highly recommended too!
    Well I managed to sell some bits over the weekend and now have around £630 for my build, So I could probably just about stretch to a similar i5 build now but the question is is what do I get with an i5 2500k that I do not with an i3 540? Will the i5 2500k stock perform aswell as the i3 that is overclocked to 4.2 Ghz for getting the performance I want in WoW?

And honest answers here please

Einholt

Deleted
    Here are some reviews posted on non overclocked CPUs, http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20. It doesn's list the i3, but you should be happy with similar framerates at good settings while you're questing surely?

Lastly the Mobo is no longer available from Ebuyer, but including a Windows 7 Home Prem OS, i'm getting a decent budget, close to what you have.

Deleted
    Hmmm, those benchmarks are not exactly useful, carried out with a 260 gtx and with the games on medium settings etc, does not really give a clear picture to me atleast, is that just me?

---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 12:09 AM ----------

Also on the i3 build I have posted this build over on a techie forum and they came up with a few issues on the build, now I have no idea if what they are telling me is fact or just opinion but here are some qoutes from that thread:

To be blatantly honest, you are probably going to fry that board first. µATX boards are compact in size and usually hold more componentry than their full sized bretheren. Running a heavy OC on that board is going to stress it out. µATX boards that are built for "OCing" is a crock. Twice as much current running through much smaller, compressed traces in a very crowded environment to begin with. µATX boards were originally intended for low power consumption use in smaller, more "friendly" cases.

I have seen many µATX boards of better quality than that MSI, fry from a light overclock because they just can't handle it.

Have to agree there, though I haven't seen the bios options on that board, generally, mATX just don't have the overclocking options that full ATX boards do. If your case and budget allow it, you're always better off with ful ATX for overclocking.

I have to agree with my teamates on this one. Those boards cannot handle the throughput that a Atx board can and while your Cpu may last "20 years", your board will not! The boards chipset is going to run extremly hot on such overclocks

Thinner conductors are nice from a miniaturization standpoint but they do come at a cost -- increased resistance. The resistance of an electrical conductor is inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area and directly proportional to its length. Therefore, all other factors taken into account, shorter and fatter wires are often better.

Resistance also factors into power loss, which is dissipated as heat. Any kid who has shorted a thin wire across the terminals of a battery understands this concept instantly (and often painfully).

As I said no idea if these comments are true but one of the guys started by saying the i3 would run to hot and fry,then when I said I had researched and that it would not him and others posted those comments.