Q6600 vs i7 + (Sandy-Bridge)

My current PC has a Q6600 CPU, I plan on building a new gaming rig in 2011 with intels new CPU, so it pretty much means I am building a completely new rig.

My current PC can only get 20 fps in main cities like Orgimmar on high/full population servers...the stats are

Q6600
    ip35e
    GTX280
    4GB RAM DDR2
    300gb velociraptor
    antec1200
    850watt psu

When I build my new PC this year...which will most likely have

Sandybridge CPU
    New intel motherboards for sandybridge sockets
    6-8GB RAM DDR3 (unless the new mobos/cpus have DDR4 or something
    GTX 580 or whatever newer model is out (585 or 590/595 etc)
    WoW and OS installed on a SSD.

How much FPS in org do you think a rig like that would get on a high-full population realm in a main city compared to my current rig?

My wish is to be able to be in a main city with 60fps+ instead of being at 15-20fps like my current rig.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    no one can say how much FPS the new sandy bridge cpu`s will give.

there are no benchmarks of them yet
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Something is wrong if on that setup you get 20 fps. Try to lower it to Medium/High, kill shadows/sunshafts/water and put spell particles on good.
    Should be better. About Sandy Bridge I'm interested as well and will buy one hopefully in the summer. Since the new CPU's aren't out yet no one can tell you how much FPS you can get. Wait till January and check the review sites then.
    How did he die ?

His death was caused by pneumonia induced by daggers to the chest.Repeatedly.

I was more so referring off guesses based off on performance differences in WoW from a Q6600 to the i7 series (920,950,980 etc)

Also, the 20 fps I get is when I am in a main city with hundreds of people around....no matter what settings I have the game running on...and I only run @ 1440x900. I get like 15 fps on ultra, 20 fps on high, 25fps on good, then 27-30 on fair and low. These FPS are all done in orgimmarr in peak play times. I haven't raided since TBC so I couldn't give you my FPS in raids but in general leveling I get 100+ FPS all the time. I just don't like getting such LOW fps in main cities :/

Deleted
    Your rig still has a few fights left in it, I'd spend my money elsewhere. Also, I have a lower spec than yours and my fps doesn't drop that much. Perhaps you have an optimization issue? Or even, dare I say it, malware that's slowing you down?

I had a Q6600 on my old PC. That, coupled with a 3 year old 8800GT and I get alot more than 20 fps in a crowded Dalaran running at 1680x 1050 with most settings on high.

I have a i7 950 on my current PC and a GTX570. It's nice getting a constant 60 fps with everything set to Ultra. (This is with vsync enabled, yes I know it can go a lot higher without it on)
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Deleted
    currently i got an Q6600 and 4gb of DDR2 - 800MHz
    I recently got a new GFX-card, an XFX Radeon 5870, this brought my wow up to MAX settings and im pulling 17~20 FPS in wow during peak hours. Only got in 1 night on a full server tho, short after that i did a FCM. Now on a medium filled server, it's just above the 20.

You should do fine with that new rig, if you wanna be certain. Spend another couple of hundred dollars on a 2nd GFX-card. Get them in SLI/Crossfire, since with an i7, your GFX-card will be the bottleneck before the CPU becomes the bottleneck. I guess.

My question would be is it your rig or is it your net connection causing these issues because your rig easily exceeds recommended specs for wow.
    as does mine I have no problems maintaining 60 fps in everything i do in wow except in a majorly populated city. Just curious if anyone might know.
    Last edited by mazox74; 2010-12-31 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesthes View Post
    Your rig still has a few fights left in it, I'd spend my money elsewhere. Also, I have a lower spec than yours and my fps doesn't drop that much. Perhaps you have an optimization issue? Or even, dare I say it, malware that's slowing you down?
    You wouldn't believe the lenghts I go through to not have malware/viruses.

I format once every 1-2 months. No one uses my PC besides me, I have everything that could cause a slow-down turned off. Heck, even all my OS config settings are set to max performance. My PC loads in seconds even without an SSD.

Every other game I runs flawless...not being able to achieve 60fps in a crowded main city is the Q6600 being too old to do it.

If you guys didn't read it properly...I am only complaining about my FPS in main cities where it's peak play-time and hteres hundreds of people in Orgimmar. The game is flawless everywhere else.

15+ Year Old Account
    SLI/CF wont help you in wow at all...... it is still in the test phase and no one knows when it will be fully inplanted. SLI/CF is for other heavy FPS bound games that doesn`t use to much cpu power, but gpu power. NOT wow.

the 20 fps you are getting on your system right now in populated areas and 25 man raids is normal if your are runnig all on high/ultra settings in a high resalution (spelling)
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    Q6600 were upper mainstream CPUs when i first bought my E4500 system.

To spend potentially over 700-800 dollars (or even pounds, since you americans have the amazing Newegg) for an increase in FPS for running around a city seems incredulous to me. I think someone had said it already. Your money is best spent elsewhere.

As an experiment you could try overclocking your CPU, to see if that should give you any other performance gains, but since you're not raiding and seeing well in excess of over 100 FPS in other areas, I'd suggest you set your HS to a new city and encourage your friends and family to move there.

Lastly just wait and see what the Sandybridge CPUs have to offer and see whether or not upgrading to completely new platform in the near future is worth the cost. Seems like you have money to burn

/jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by codsafish View Post
    My current PC has a Q6600 CPU, I plan on building a new gaming rig in 2011 with intels new CPU, so it pretty much means I am building a completely new rig.

My current PC can only get 20 fps in main cities like Orgimmar on high/full population servers...the stats are

Q6600
    ip35e
    GTX280
    4GB RAM DDR2
    300gb velociraptor
    antec1200
    850watt psu

When I build my new PC this year...which will most likely have

Sandybridge CPU
    New intel motherboards for sandybridge sockets
    6-8GB RAM DDR3 (unless the new mobos/cpus have DDR4 or something
    GTX 580 or whatever newer model is out (585 or 590/595 etc)
    WoW and OS installed on a SSD.

How much FPS in org do you think a rig like that would get on a high-full population realm in a main city compared to my current rig?

My wish is to be able to be in a main city with 60fps+ instead of being at 15-20fps like my current rig.
    1) Overclock the Q6600 if you haven't already, because there is a lot of life left in it.
    2) Make sure WoW is utilizing all processor cores when WoW is enabled.
    3) Look into the settings you have displayed for WoW. Like another poster stated, turn shadows & etc. off
    4) Look into overclocking the video card, because currently you should be getting 35-40+ fps on that video card.

Now if you plan on jumping to SB, please be advised that it's dual-channel so 3/6GB configurations are out on the 2500/2600K models. SSD is a great start, just grab one with enough space for the OS & your #1 played game. GTX580 is a great start, but also look into the 570GTX to save on cash to put towards the SSD. What kind of PSU is that exactly?

Deleted
    i was in the same boat running a Q6600, oc'd her to 2.8, 4gb of 800mhz corsair ram, gtx460. i just upgraded to a new rig, i5 760 oc'd to 4ghz, 4gb ram and still a gtx 460. i now get 0 slowdowns anywhere with everything ultra including shadows and 50 minimum fps in raids.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil21 View Post
    1) Overclock the Q6600 if you haven't already, because there is a lot of life left in it.
    2) Make sure WoW is utilizing all processor cores when WoW is enabled.
    3) Look into the settings you have displayed for WoW. Like another poster stated, turn shadows & etc. off
    4) Look into overclocking the video card, because currently you should be getting 35-40+ fps on that video card.

Now if you plan on jumping to SB, please be advised that it's dual-channel so 3/6GB configurations are out on the 2500/2600K models. SSD is a great start, just grab one with enough space for the OS & your #1 played game. GTX580 is a great start, but also look into the 570GTX to save on cash to put towards the SSD. What kind of PSU is that exactly?
    OCìng the gfx card wont help him at all. WOW is cpu depended and the q6600 is just nor enough for wow any more if you wanna have over 35-40 fps in raids and in places where there is alot of players at the same time. 70% of the wow players think its enough to just buy a bigger gfx card or oc the one they have........ that doesn`t help in wow. a bigger and better cpu helps. a i5-760 ocèd to 4.0Ghz or a i7 at 4.0 Ghz can`t even get over 50 fps in raids and org/sw at peack hours. maybe the new sandy birdge can and maybe it can`t.

PS.
    to all of you saying you get over 100/200+ fps......... WOW gz on that. but you do know that you monitor can`t show more then 60 fps right?. thats why we have Vsync to save the monitor from screen tearing. 60HZ monitor = 60 fps..... 120HZ monitor = 120 fps

I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz and an ati radeon 4850, and i get upwards of 60 fps with all setting on Ultra and Max AA. So, I would definitely overclock your cpu, its not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    OCìng the gfx card wont help him at all. WOW is cpu depended and the q6600 is just nor enough for wow any more if you wanna have over 35-40 fps in raids and in places where there is alot of players at the same time. 70% of the wow players think its enough to just buy a bigger gfx card or oc the one they have........ that doesn`t help in wow. a bigger and better cpu helps. a i5-760 ocèd to 4.0Ghz or a i7 at 4.0 Ghz can`t even get over 50 fps in raids and org/sw at peack hours. maybe the new sandy birdge can and maybe it can`t.

PS.
    to all of you saying you get over 100/200+ fps......... WOW gz on that. but you do know that you monitor can`t show more then 60 fps right?. thats why we have Vsync to save the monitor from screen tearing. 60HZ monitor = 60 fps..... 120HZ monitor = 120 fps
    i think its unfair to say that the q6600 is not enough for WoW I rarely see any drop in my FPS and my 6600 isnt even overclocked anymore, I feel that all these people saying the 6600 is knackered really need to clean up there PC

Quote Originally Posted by Talaa View Post
    i think its unfair to say that the q6600 is not enough for WoW I rarely see any drop in my FPS and my 6600 isnt even overclocked anymore, I feel that all these people saying the 6600 is knackered really need to clean up there PC
    Their.
    Also, what resolution and settings do you run with?

15+ Year Old Account
    Why did we bump an almost month old post? Locking this.