Learning to play my frost mage

Sure PVE is not really hard to master (just have to get your proc use order straight), but when it comes to PVP, playing a mage isn't as easy as it seems.

I am learning that while doing alot of BG's (I am level 74 at the moment) you improve your mage skills by a dozen! You can own if you make sure you are not the target. Or avoid being approached by one. And ofcourse we have a bunch of tools to keep them away.

I usually end up in the top 3 and have a kill/death ratio of 3+.

To all leveling mages I would advise doing at least 3-5 bg's per time you play. You also get awarded with experience so it's not just for the honor. It's alot of fun and you learn to CC people, which makes it easier to cc NPC's afterwards.

I must say that I don't use sheep alot in BG's since there is too much AoE-ing going on. And I must say I loooove deep frost where I can spam 3x Ice lance while my enemy is stuck in the ice

Frost is so much fun!

Edit: Btw what armor type do you use in Pvp? I found that Mage armor has more use for me against ranged casters (reduced magic damage). Since Melee can't really get close to me anyway! Or do you use frost armor?
    Last edited by Debikkel; 2010-12-31 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Want to know which armor is best for PvP

Mage armour is probably best for PvP, what with the reduced magic damage and also reduced effect of magical debuffs.
    I would say though, while it is good practice for playing in general you aren't really going to learn how to be a PvE mage by doing PvP. Quite a few things work differently in PvE, for instance you can't freeze bosses pretty much ever so you'll be relying entirely on fingers of frost and Deep Freeze becomes a very impressive nuke spell that can crit for upwards of 130k in the right gear when used on a boss.

Also I'd reccomend not actually spamming ice lance on deep freeze, if you cast frostbolt it will apparently do more damage, although you will probably only have time to cast one and then do a couple of ice lances afterwards.