Thread: Rift

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's release date is 1st March for US and 4th for Europe
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

Was part of the beta, I really enjoyed it.

Deleted
    Looks promising indeed, I hope I won't be as disappointed as when Darkfall was released.

I can't stop thinking of The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist when I hear the name

Quote Originally Posted by Deathloc View Post
    I think that RIFT is going to be a very solid MMO but it'll never beat WoW.
    Its incredibly hard for one mmo to beat wow currently but alot of wow players are looking for a new mmo and it looks like there getting some good options coming out this year

Quote Originally Posted by Spidarz View Post
    It is nothing like garbage Aion
    and Aion was nothing like garbage war or guild wars

come on,you're all ''oh look a new game!it's better then wow...ow yeah!''

3 months later

''WHY DID I SPENT MONEY ON THAT GARBAGE?''

It's basically a WAR clone (same devs, similar graphics, similar animations, similar classes, similar public quests ("rifts")), they only removed PvP.

Thus no incentive for me to even look at it. If you liked PvE in WAR, it's worth a shot because, since they copy pasted everything from WAR, they had more time to fix bugs and glitches.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blade and Souls is much better

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks really, really impressive gameplay wise. Graphic wise I am not that impressed. Technically it looks 20 times better than WoW, but the style doesn't really attract me.
    Still I am eager to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Its incredibly hard for one mmo to beat wow currently but alot of wow players are looking for a new mmo and it looks like there getting some good options coming out this year
    WoW just released it's most awesome and refreshing expansion yet. Why are so many people looking for something new?

Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    they only removed PvP.
    Except there is pvp so idk what your going on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    WoW just released it's most awesome and refreshing expansion yet. Why are so many people looking for something new?
    Feels like same thing new skin

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    It's six years old and has been using the same model's with new skins, same sounds, same everything pretty much. It's the same skinner box, period.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually pretty pessimistic about other mmos because really, they all suck. I knew aion would fail, and warhammer, and AoC, and vanguard, and lotr, and the other 50 mmos I've tried and failed.

But, I really liked this game. So far, even in beta, it's easily better than all those other mmocs combined. It takes the best parts of wow that have taken expansions and expansions to perfect and changed them a bit. It's a lot like wow, but the tweaks still make it feel like it's own game. It has an interesting lore foundation though I haven't fully been paying attention to it.

IF they can get max level and dungeons/endgame raids well made, I think the game really stands a chance. And the graphics are pretty awesome. Not just herp derp pretty like aion, just very well made and realistic.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing around, only level 8 or so, so I can't judge too much...but...

It honestly feels like WoW with new graphics. The rifts are cool, but it seems to be the only difference between the two so far.

Pet bars are the same, chat options are the same(You can right click and get the SAME options for people), combat is the same(not a big deal, and expected), quests are mostly the same(Though below WoW in quality imo), Talents are nearly the same, even models are nearly the same.

The story is very nice, however.

If it's the same all the way up, I'd say it'll be a GREAT wow alternative, or even side by side game, if you are looking for a game like wow but not.

From what I am lead to believe its a cross between Aion (which I played and the game failed after 2months) and Everquest( which was the daddy of pve raiding games in its day) however raids are sucky 20man size, with only 2 at release, not 54 man epic raids like EQ and they copied shitty heroic dungeons from WoW, so yea, big thumbs down from me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    From what I am lead to believe its a cross between Aion (which I played and the game failed after 2months) and Everquest( which was the daddy of pve raiding games in its day) however raids are sucky 20man size, with only 2 at release, not 54 man epic raids like EQ and they copied shitty heroic dungeons from WoW, so yea, big thumbs down from me.
    No, it's not really similar to Aion at all. The game it is similar to most is definitely World of Warcraft, and at its core, it is nearly a WoW clone.

However, it does a damned good job at it. seam's analysis above is spot on.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    No, it's not really similar to Aion at all. The game it is similar to most is definitely World of Warcraft, and at its core, it is nearly a WoW clone.

However, it does a damned good job at it. seam's analysis above is spot on.
    Have you even played it? It's nothing like WoW. The UI is similar to GWs, not WoW. Animations and combat are different and more diverse. Your given more options and spells and with each point you put into certain abilities you gain bonus'. Lore wise it's nothing like WoW.

The commands are similar and keybinds. But there the same for almost every MMO. Hardly something WoW can claim to hold as original.

I've played WoW on and off for 5 years and this is definiately different in style, artistic and combat wise. It's refreshing

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNz View Post
    Have you even played it? It's nothing like WoW. The UI is similar to GWs, not WoW. Animations and combat are different and more diverse. Your given more options and spells and with each point you put into certain abilities you gain bonus'. Lore wise it's nothing like WoW.

The commands are similar and keybinds. But there the same for almost every MMO. Hardly something WoW can claim to hold as original.

I've played WoW on and off for 5 years and this is definiately different in style, artistic and combat wise. It's refreshing
    Having played Rift since Closed Beta 1 and WoW since Dec 2004, I can say with some certainity that it feels a LOT like Vanilla WoW. It's got the whole "PvE-focused game with PvP thrown on as an afterthought, encouraging World PvP" vibe going on.

The lore is actually very similar. Two factions, tried peace, a middle party betrayed both sides (twice) and tried to unleash a great evil (the Burning Legion, I mean... the Forces of Regulos). Guardians are viewed as the 'good', Defiants as the 'also good, but misunderstood'.

The UI and -especially- the menu options are almost identical to WoW's.

As for questing, it is similar to WoW/most MMOs, but I'd rate it a step higher than Vanilla WoW. It seems to follow the "Here's two quests, one of them might have a reward, once you complete both quests, you get a third one that definitely has a reward and involves doing something special or killing a boss and then you move on". Vanilla WoW's quests were all over the place, and not even that structured. They definitely aren't as good as Cata's quests though.

As for combat, it is fairly similar to WoW, but most MMOs have similar combat, really. It is much more of the fast-paced WoW-like style than a slow-paced style, though.

As for classes, yes, this is a large departure from WoW, and a fairly awesome one. Unlike Vanilla, most classes are somewhat viable, even when soloing. The amount of customization options is pretty staggering, especially with the recent talent changes to give you points that are forced into other trees than your primary.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines