Thread: Halfus!

Halfus!

My guild downed him yesterday for the first time and we had whelps, storm drake, and slate.

We released whelps and storm at the same time. I tanked halfus and our OT, who is a paladin, tanked the whelps and the drake. DPS burned down the storm drake and when I got to 9 stacks of the healing debuff the OT HoP'd me to clear the stacks and I kept tanking halfus. By the time I got another 7-9 stacks the storm drake was dead and the pally taunted halfus and we finished off the whelps. Then we proceeded with a tank swap the entire way through with a mage blinking on the 3rd furious roar.

One thing I noticed was that I was getting hit extremely hard and had to rotate out all my cooldowns. I was dropping from 100 to 0 so fast at times it looked like we wouldn't recover but I was able to get topped off quickly at times.

So maybe avoidance is the way to go instead of stam or something, I'm not really sure. My guild is currently 5/12 and I feel like this boss hits like a truck compared to the others I've encountered

Here's my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ADrik/advanced

To be honest, DKs are pretty much the worst Halfus tank, ESPECIALLY when he has the mortal strike debuff. Our mitigation that is needed to keep us on a par with the other tanks takes healing into account, without it we're far squishier.

On that fight I would definately favour avoidance with the mortal strike dragon, if not just palm off the tanking to someone else.

I know mages blink the third roar, but why? No one has ever actually explained it just said mages do it. Im gonna be raiding on my mage soon and knowing why will help me do it better.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomirizer View Post
    I know mages blink the third roar, but why? No one has ever actually explained it just said mages do it. Im gonna be raiding on my mage soon and knowing why will help me do it better.
    You blink the third roar so that you can CS the shadow nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomirizer View Post
    With one of the dragons he'll cast something that's needs to be interrupted right after the third roar, so it's the only way to interrupt it

10+ Year Old Account
    You only need to blink the 3rd Roar when you have the Shadow Nova drake (I forget the name) Since he will cast Shadow Nova right after the Furious Roar, you need a mage to blink out of the 3rd roar and counterspell it so your raid isn't taking massive AoE damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    My guild downed him yesterday for the first time and we had whelps, storm drake, and slate.

We released whelps and storm at the same time. I tanked halfus and our OT, who is a paladin, tanked the whelps and the drake. DPS burned down the storm drake and when I got to 9 stacks of the healing debuff the OT HoP'd me to clear the stacks and I kept tanking halfus. By the time I got another 7-9 stacks the storm drake was dead and the pally taunted halfus and we finished off the whelps. Then we proceeded with a tank swap the entire way through with a mage blinking on the 3rd furious roar.

One thing I noticed was that I was getting hit extremely hard and had to rotate out all my cooldowns. I was dropping from 100 to 0 so fast at times it looked like we wouldn't recover but I was able to get topped off quickly at times.

So maybe avoidance is the way to go instead of stam or something, I'm not really sure. My guild is currently 5/12 and I feel like this boss hits like a truck compared to the others I've encountered

Here's my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ADrik/advanced
    One thing, when people mention this fight they always say what drakes they had present. While this does matter to an extent, you do not have to use all of them. What is most important and what people never mention is what BUFFS the boss has on him before you pull. This determines what drakes you should/shouldn't use. Slate is the attack speed debuffer iirc storm handles the knockback ability and whelps help with fire damage and there is a mortal strike drake as well. If I mixed them up forgive me I may have the names wrong but the abilities the drakes do is correct. The mortal strike debuff can be tank swapped at "X" amount of stacks. You didn't have to release both at the same time. Burn the drake and then release the whelps which is optional as you could heal through the fire aoe from dragon.

They didn't use all of them, and you can never use all of them. Only 3 drakes are active and releasable, and that's what determines the bosses buffs. Storm Rider makes shadow nova interruptable , slate dragon makes the healing debuff stack and makes him be stunned, and the emerald whelps reduce his damage done and gives his proto-drake a fire breath. He used 2 of them, quite a common strat with that drake comp. And I'm glad to hear it worked.
    It's not just me, it's ALL rets. Join the ret MS club, get bitches, get money, get nerfed.
    It takes idiots to do cool things. That's why they're cool.

That boss is so extremely nasty to DK's, because other tanks have block which negates the healing debuff, whereas we do not have said ability. So if you have the slate, try to avoid tanking it, we've had slate twice so far, and it usually ends up being very hectic for the first 40 seconds or something, then when slate dies (we tend to take out the slate first) we're just fine. We usually roll with me as the primary tank and a paladin.