Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've done multiple things and it's always a one-shot.

Being a pally - I'm not getting a dot or anything from judging - even switching to Seal of Truth. I've tried it and nothing came on me. So I've done two things that work each time.

1. If there's another cleanser (priest for ex) - they go out and cleansed me then I got anyone who still needed to get unparalyzed.
    2. Stand close enough - melee range - so Ozruk's aoe that lets out the tank and melee dps gets me out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermor View Post
    Maybe you didnt understand what I was saying. There was no chance of the healer breaking paralyze meaning she couldnt break the paralyze. Everyone takes the 50k damage, she spam heals them the top them up, same thing happens again and again until she goes oom. I dont see how skill has anything to do with a broken/impossible mechanic.
    Well the whole group was shit then, the healer isn't responsible for every person getting the buff, melee can remove it themselves by having the 'thorns' bleed on them, casters etc must put a dot on themselves via spell reflect. Also if 1 person gets hit, the whole group doesn't take 50k damage.

Your healer was probably really bad.

I am a holy pally and I am really bad at casting when elementium bulwark is cast, I've had groups where all the range get paralyzed everytime and I can still heal them up before the next cast.
    Last edited by Coar; 2011-01-01 at 09:23 PM.

You only need to absolutely remove paralyse to avoid Shatter. If you're ranged (dps or healer) you can just eat it if necessary, just ensure you're out of his Shatter range at all times (which isn't hard).

e: Never seen him chain cast Paralyze.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    I dont see the problem...While doing this with my guild we tend to slack alot since we already know the fights etc. And my healer (im tank) allways gets paralyze. If you actually do what you are supposed to you take as fogi said above - 30k damage or so tops, during the time the healer is paralyzed...
    And you, as a tank should have roughly 150k buffed (if you just started doing heroics)...that leaves you with 120k once the healer breaks free...
    Where is the problem?
    I'm not sure what kind of tanks you're playing with, but I, as a bear Druid, have 156k hp with fort + motw in ilevel 349 gear.

So no, you will NOT have roughly 150k buffed if you just started doing heroics.

Shatter is easy to avoid.

You all realize that Elementium Bulwark (the hit him, he dots you) thing would also screw the tank over if it's not timed properly? If the tank can dot himself by melee-ing the boss, so can a healer. If the tank can't dot himself, the shatter+melee he'll do after paralyze while the healer is still paralyzed should make your tank kick the bucket pretty easily...

also, what Iceleaf said.
    Felpuppy and prot-warrs easily screw the reflec with dispells.

For Real? lol

First time we went there we didn't know about the spell reflect mechanic to break the paralyse and I, as the healer, still kept the group up just fine even with all the ranged (3 of us) getting paralysed.

As it happens my tank buddy and I both needed a trinket from stonecore so we've done the place a hell of a lot and these days, I literally have nothing to heal apart from my own feeble shadow word: pain.

Providing the tank knows what he's doing and doesn't get 1 shotted, this is probably one of the easiest heroic fights for a healer, even if you couldn't remove paralyse it's still easily doable to heal through it.

Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    Sort of off topic, but if you are a mage and really hate your tank you can actually kill the tank in this fight. A mage can spell steal off the bulwark and he will then go and do his ability called shatter (or is it something else) and he will just one shot the tank. This happened to my group a few times in my first run in there until i made the connection that I was killing the tank.

Uhhhhh, no. If your tank got pwned during a shatter it's entirely his fault. He should be continuing to melee the entire fight. The ability that dots the melee and the ability that dots the casters are two completely separate mechanics. Elementium bulwark reflects the spells cast on him. Elementium Spike Shield dots anyone who melees him. The reflect is dispellable, the spike shield is not. Your tank died because he was an idiot, not because you stole the buff.

This is what makes the fight hard for hunters. Their attacks aren't considered spells and therefore aren't reflected. Either they have to run in and melee while the spike shield is up, or find another way to dot themselves (like using a sulfuron slammer).

I'll admit that on the first few fights I had to condition myself to think about when I used shield slam...it's an integral part of the warrior tank rotation (especially on a fight like that...not a whole lot of rage cuz there's not a whole lot of active time on boss due to all the dancing. Any free/cheap attacks are much appreciated).
    Last edited by CynicalOtaku; 2011-01-01 at 10:50 PM.

As everyone already stated, your healer was shit. Also, Paralyze hits for 50k and besides the melee and tank, noone should be getting any damage, as a healer if you miss a chance to DoT yourself up, simply heal people over 50k hp and you are fine. No need to top off rangeds.
    Last edited by Photek; 2011-01-02 at 02:43 AM.

In my experience, once he enrages, the bulwark and paralyze casting gets a bit weird. Sometimes it's fine but occasionally you will get paralyzed without a chance to reflect on the bulwark. With that said, as long as you dispel the enrage immediately, the tank can survive through a full paralyze on the ranged.

If timing becomes an issue, the simplest solution is for the healer to keep a dot rolling on the boss at all times, not just when he bulwarks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems your problem OP is that you had to many Ranged DPS for Healer to keep up after each Paralyze. However the only reason for the Ranged DPS to take damage from Paralyze is because they were Hunters and I don't believe you had three Hunters in your group. Any other class but Hunters can use some kind of DoT (doesn't matter what spec they are). Hunter's DoT doesn't count as spells and therefor aren't reflected.

I've healed the fight a few times. Whenever I do it, I just stand in melee range and whack him with my mace. Gives me the debuff, breaks the stun, and I can easily get out before the AoE.

The damage to the tank is practically nothing - you take care of nearly all of it with riptide and earth shield, and you can top him up between stuns before starting to melee again. HST takes care of most of the damage people take from their own reflected DoTs/melee DoTs.

I think it is a bug, besides that, the most you can do is burn the boss as fast as you can or have a long duration dot you can apply as the shield is about to fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had this happen to me once in a Pug. The spell reflect kept happening right when paralyze went off so I couldn't dot myself. A simple fix to this is just to melee him. One melee before paralyze will give you the bleed to break the paralyze.

Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    Pretty sure any tank can solo the fight as his personal damage output is fairly pathetic.
    I tanked him on my holy pally(healing myself through his attacks) after our tank died to shatter.
    Last edited by Khellehendro; 2011-01-02 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceazyface View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of tanks you're playing with, but I, as a bear Druid, have 156k hp with fort + motw in ilevel 349 gear.

So no, you will NOT have roughly 150k buffed if you just started doing heroics.

Shatter is easy to avoid.
    I agree with the fact that tanks starting will not have 150K, but how are you iLvL 349 and 156K buffed? I am 349 and 155,879 UNbuffed

Deleted
    I'm sort of amused that we made it to post #37 with only a handful of people actually getting the point.

I've seen it happen exactly once, where Ozruk would cast Paralyze, followed by Elementium Bulwark, followed by Shatter. And since we were still paralyzed when the Elementium Bulwark wore off, there was no chance of anyone getting a DoT up in time. Back then, I'm fairly sure it was due to a warrior Shield Slamming it off. It took a few tries before he stopped doing that :/

ETA: And yes, it's definantly a bug.

he's still buggy sometimes and when he is, you will not kill him

shatter isn't supposed to crit but does
    shatter has a 15yd range, but will hit you over 25yds away sometimes
    ground slam is supposed to have an 8yd range and he isn't suppose to turn while casting it, but sometimes he does and sometimes you die when 30yds away

and when you run out of shatter and he ground slams the party before you can even get back, there isn't anything you can do

first boss in hsfk is doing similar things at times too, he'll asphyxiate the group (down to 1hp) and instead of casting the next ability that you interrupt after a tick or two, he casts more aoe and you die with no chance at recovery

just buggy

if it's working properly, it's not bad at all

Quote Originally Posted by Photek View Post
    As everyone already stated, your healer was shit. Also, Shatter hits for 50k and besides the melee and tank, noone should be getting any damage, as a healer if you miss a chance to DoT yourself up, simply heal people over 50k hp and you are fine. No need to top off rangeds.
    Shatter hits for 50k? Sorry, it should be apparent we're discussing heroic mechanics, not reg. Shatter hits for approximately 150k and will easily one shot a tank (as will ground slam).