ARGH! macros are so fickle!

This is driving me nuts. I'm trying to make the simplest of macros. It will cast Curse of exhaustion on my target, or if I hold shift, it will cast Curse of Tongues on my focus.

After some trial and error and some good ole google action, I ended up with:

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod,@focus] Curse of Tongues; Curse of Exhaustion;

Which works, if I actually CLICK on the macro. When bound to a key (in this case, mousewheel down), the mod changes the tooltip but nothing casts. This isn't the only time I've had trouble with focus-targeting macros. I had to try out about 15 different combinations of macros to get one to cast fear on my target, or fear on my focus if I'm holding shift. Other combinations had unpredictable results, particularly when I didn't have a target or if my target was the same as my focus target, the mod part of the macro wouldn't work. Sometimes it would just randomly switch on me. I'd hold shift and feared the target, then let go to fear my focus.

When I was a kid, we had Basic. You tell the computer to do one thing, and when it's done doing that thing, it does the next thing. Then you tell it to goto 10, and it goes to 10. It was perfect.
    Last edited by Jiraiyah; 2011-01-02 at 06:29 AM.

Its failing because of your binding. Your macro is bound to mousewheel down. The problem is, when you hold shift and use mousewheel down, you're activating an entirely different binding, not simply the shift state of mousewheel down. To fix this, simply create a Shift+Mousewheel Down binding, and assign it to a Curse of Tongues at focus macro that you place on a hidden action bar. You'll get the results you want.

This is true. You can also bind Shift Mousewheel Down to anything, then unbind it to free up the bind.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

huh... I never would have thought of that. Thanks!