Is our 10 Man Raid Comp doomed to failure?

Hello MMO-Champion!

Co-leader of raiding and guild management, my guild is getting ready to head into 10 man Raiding in the next few weeks here.

We absorbed another guild in order to get our numbers up there and mutually benefit each other, but sadly, I don't think either of us took a look at raid comps before doing so.

It's looking more and more like we're going to end up with the following comp, and I'm severely worried about our ability to finish content.

Prot Warrior
    Blood DK
    2 x Holy Priest
    Resto Druid
    2 x Shadow Priest
    Demo Lock
    Ret Paladin
    Survival Hunter

What worries me is the presence of 4 priests in a 10 man raid. I'm trying desperately to get a couple of them to play different toons that they enjoy, but I refuse to force them to do anything, as it's a game after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make them fight to the death over cloth gear. That should be entertaining at least.
    "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." - Einstein

Other than them having to accept a massive clash in gear, there isn't a huge amount wrong with that comp, getting in a holy paladin over the 2nd holy priest would probably be the most beneficial way to alter that group, but other than that I wouldn't say any encounters should pose you huge problems. The only thing that will slow your progress is so many people sharing the loot, thus not all gearing up a roughly equal rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deverca View Post
    Make them fight to the death over cloth gear. That should be entertaining at least.
    That is not fair, the demo lock will win every time...Meta/immo aura/hellfire/felstorm...poor 4 dead priest at once..

... on the plus side, the Hunter and Druid will get geared lightning-fast
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Just wait for the piss fest when a BiS 2 hander drops and then the DK and Ret try to make claims in raid chat why they deserve it. Those are always fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Surtain View Post
    Just wait for the piss fest when a BiS 2 hander drops and then the DK and Ret try to make claims in raid chat why they deserve it. Those are always fun to watch!
    Thats easy, DK gets Akirus the Worm-Breaker and ret can have all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtain View Post
    or hunters and druid tanks for polarms. damn basterd bears.

The only big problem i see with that comp is that you are lacking many classes with an interupt. The ones that do are going to have to be perfect for some fights to go smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    Hello MMO-Champion!

Co-leader of raiding and guild management, my guild is getting ready to head into 10 man Raiding in the next few weeks here.

We absorbed another guild in order to get our numbers up there and mutually benefit each other, but sadly, I don't think either of us took a look at raid comps before doing so.

It's looking more and more like we're going to end up with the following comp, and I'm severely worried about our ability to finish content.

Prot Warrior
    Blood DK
    2 x Holy Priest
    Resto Druid
    2 x Shadow Priest
    Demo Lock
    Ret Paladin
    Survival Hunter

What worries me is the presence of 4 priests in a 10 man raid. I'm trying desperately to get a couple of them to play different toons that they enjoy, but I refuse to force them to do anything, as it's a game after all.
    say youre going to replace them (priests of course) with other classes that fit the raid comp, unless they want to play a different character.

There is no such thing as a raid comp that will fail (assuming you have the required amount of tanks, healers and DPS) except on very specific fights that may require a certain class or type like ranged or melee. I remember in ICC we ended up with 5 Pallies, 2 Druids, me (Shadow/Disc Priest), a Resto Shaman and a MM Hunter. We did fine.

If it really bothers you just tell them it isn't gong to work out- It's a game, but they have the choice to say no and leave. It's pretty obvious there are too many Priests. If you can't tell people what they need to do even if they don't like it, how can you raid lead? Just say that someone is going to need to change toons or specs. Surely someone in there has an alt or two.
    Last edited by Xelestial; 2011-01-03 at 08:56 PM.

"I want a Tier that actually looks stereotypical.
    Hunter in camo; Rogue in ninja gear; Priest in a prison uniform - that sort of thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Alexiaa View Post
    Thats easy, DK gets Akirus the Worm-Breaker and ret can have all the rest.
    Currently yes, after the ret mastery changes...who knows...

Very few CC, few interrupts, no Bloodlust/Heroism and 1 melee... not impossible, but you are stacking the raid to be more challenging than your average group.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Just think of all the mechanics you can avoid with that many priests! (referring to lifegrip)

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless the content you are running is Undead heavy, you may have a bit of trouble with CC's.

Interupts should be fine, it really depends how the DK is speced.

1 Melee is not a bad thing, as we have seen a lot of groups are having trouble with a strong melee presence.

No Bloodlust is bad.

2 Holy Priests, not a fan. I would try switch out for a Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman (Shaman for the extra 2 CC's and Lust)

2 Shadow Priests, see if one of them has a mage/ele or enhance shaman for Bloodlust and CC's in the event you cant find a Resto, would also be good for gear spread).

I can foresee some shit fights over gear.

speaking as a hunter, your doing great!

Yeah right now my guilds comp looks like

Ret/Prot Pally & Blood DK, dblFeral Druid

Ele/Enhance Shaman
    Surv Hunter
    Rogue
    Warlock
    Mage

H-Priest
    H-Pally
    Ele/Resto Shaman
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!

If your hunter gone bm for hero, then youd have most of the needed buffs plus 4 interupts.
    Also i suggest you to read abit about boss abilities, watch some videos to see if there are fights that favour one or other part.
    Thou from my own observations (still havent raided yet) fights favour ranged rather then mellee, so you should be fine as of now

Quote Originally Posted by Rosham View Post
    getting in a holy paladin over the 2nd holy priest would probably be the most beneficial way to alter that group
    more benefical would be to change resto druid for that holy paladin )

Deleted
    Well for us gearin has been really easy, we roll with 4 cloth users too, im our only plate user and no single plate dps drop in 3 weeks of raiding..