Poll: [MMO] Would you play a Harry Potter MMO?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nescáfè View Post
    wouldn't adava kedavra (ish?) be a bit OP? I hear all the dumbledore dudes crying for it to be nerfed already, and all the Hermiones crying that they have too many spells in their spellbook and not enough keybinds.
    not if its used like Execute, around 10% a long CD spell with a hopefull long cast time isnt too OP imo.

Quote Originally Posted by nescáfè View Post
    wouldn't adava kedavra (ish?) be a bit OP? I hear all the dumbledore dudes crying for it to be nerfed already, and all the Hermiones crying that they have too many spells in their spellbook and not enough keybinds.
    This made me laugh xD. But yeah maybe it's "too dark to be used" or something. I'd play it, but they would need to continuously add a lot of content to make it work for longer than a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheafie View Post
    Now here is where you've kept saying, WELL WHAT ABOUT SPELLS AND TANKS AND WHAT NOT, ITS NOT A MMO WITHOUT THAT
    Here we are,
    Why have tanks/healers/dps?

Traditional D&D worked for 30 years without them. There was no 'taunt' spell that tanks had. The other classes just had other means to mitigate damage. The whole 'role' thing is one of the major things holding MMOs back, imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who Cares? I like Eduard Khil though.. TROLOLO FOR PRESIDENT!
    I would def play a Baux!
    Infractions this, infractions that.
    There's my sig.

I agree with you almost, but the questing would deffinitely be different in my opinion. Instead of classes making you go outside to scavange, it could range from the headmaster, James Potter, Albus Severus Potter, or some other child of the original trio, and when you head home for summer, you can do quests in Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley, or your home (for sake of argument, Godric's Hollow) and you could even go to 12 Grimauld Place. When your at school, you'd go to the forbidden forest, Hogmeade, Dungeons, or somewhere else inside the castle of Hogwarts.

I stated that you could go home. Along with your X number of hours, instead of staying at hogwarts, you go home until you complete another set ammount of quests, then you return. The leveling should go to at least 50+, and you should be about ready to leave hogwarts around lvl 24+, depending on how long you decide to stay and fight creatures in the forbidden forest.

After Hogwarts, that's when you get your choice of career. Good or Evil. You can join or rebel against the new Dark Lord of the wizarding world. This is when you could also get a hold of your Unforgivable curses. If your in Slytherin, you could advance faster in the dark arts, and that makes your the dark spells more powerful.

Finally, as for side quests, while in hogwarts, you'd be helping or attacking students (of course, you may get detention, in which you get harder, but short, side quests in the dungeons or forbidden forest) or finding lost objects or something along those lines. When your out of school, you could go and help muggles, hunt dark wizards, help the wizarding community in Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade, prevent attacks on Hogwarts, etc.

It would also be fun to explore all of the hidden room and paths of Hogwarts and even the Ministry of Magic. So many ideas come to mind when people bring this up, but Warner Bros. has confirmed they are making this, but are in a developmental stage at the moment to try and work out the kinks. Mugglenet released the story months ago. Hope it does well.
    Last edited by xrosatix; 2011-05-11 at 03:21 PM.

Deleted
    It would lack interesting content and lore...and honestly we wouldn't have many classes. (that actually differ much I mean)

Something that would be cool, yet hard to balance, would be to have the competition (but make it last a week or a month) for which house (faction) gets most point, and then have a reward for that house at the end of each cycle (exp boost or a scroll or something).

Dont really know how to balance this as 90% of players will probably be playing Slyth or Gryph....

---------- Post added 2011-05-11 at 04:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    It would lack interesting content and lore...and honestly we wouldn't have many classes. (that actually differ much I mean)
    I play mage, im happy
    Omegasupreme - Memento Mori - Frostmane-EU wowprogress

I don't think this would work. Harry Potter is nice as a story, but the games have always been eh.

Deleted
    No. There isn't a deep enough universe in the books to provide an entertaining gameworld.

There is Hogwarts, and references to a few other schools like it around Europe, and the odd magical location dotted around the country, but the majority of it is just English countryside. I see enough of that in my regular life to not want to escape to a virtual world designed around it.

Not every fantasy would work as a computer game.

Deleted
    I would, it depends if its well made like WoW.

If yes then sure, it would be pretty nice ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Eace View Post
    I'd certainly give it a try. If made properly, it could be pretty good.
    this .

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why not. I've played worse games before.

I'd definately try this out. The Harry Potter series was one of the best fantasy stories ever written and if the right company developed it, I could see the game being just as awesome. (Not the kitty crap games they have now, but an actual multiplayer one.)

No - I loved the books, and loved the movies even more. A MMO would ruin a perfectly good story for me.

I would probably not play a harry potter mmo, I would however play a pokemon mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    I don't think this would work. Harry Potter is nice as a story, but the games have always been eh.
    Yeah, movie games always suck. They just try to churn out a quick piece of crap that leeches off the potential success of the movie. That's the only thing I'd really be skeptical about, but if a game like this looked like it had quality development behind it I would definitely give it a try.

My answer is the same as for the SW:TOR MMO.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It would make me feel like I'm playing a kids game.

Deleted
    I'd probably give a game like this a try, if it will ever be created... But to be honest, I don't think it will. And, even if it does get created eventually, I don't really see myself playing it as actively as I play WoW.

Deleted
    Harry Potter magic is too boring really.

But the premise sounds awesome, if you ditched the lame Harry Potter setting and went full on Wizardly apprentice, it would be something I would love to play.

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 01:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    My answer is the same as for the SW:TOR MMO.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It would make me feel like I'm playing a kids game.
    The last few Harry Potter books and movies are pretty adult and grown up, or do you mean "kids' game" because it doesn't have guts and gore and dark brooding emo trends?