Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My younger brother sells anything at stupid prices, just so they sell quickly. He'd rather greed an item, so he could vendor it for 5-20g, instead of D.E and selling it for 4 times the amount.

When he got gems he was selling them for a 3rd less than the next lowest. He was loosing out alot of profit, but in his mind he was gaining a profit. I try to explain to him that you don't undercut by almost half, you only drop of like 5% the price, but it's his gold his time.

So i guess alot of other people out there undercut by almost half because they want it to sell. Again at the start of an XP, alot of people will sell items for a stupid amount in hope they sell. Epics for 40k gold, then 2 days later are in AH for 15k.
    Some people make sense of how much something is worth, others just get greedy. I support the people who sell things for the right amount tbh.

I actually had someone /w me and had ago at me because i undercut them on fiery/lava cores from Molten Core. They were selling for about 25g each. One day they shot upto 80g, and i knew they weren't worth that much, so i tried to make some profit over the old 25g, and put mine in there for 40g.

Someone wasn't happy and had ago at me saying i shouldn't be under cutting them, i explained to them that i just assumed they were worth about 40g, and didn't check if there was any in stock and that i would remove them in a moment. I didn't remove them, and i prefered to lie to this person instead of explaining that he was being greedy and i knew that these items were more common, and a lowered price ment i wouldn't have to remove them and reset the price again.

Its just part of the AH game, you will always have people who want to go below your price if they can make any profit themselfs.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ilver View Post
    This is just 12-year olds being stupid.
    What a 12 yo w/o any needed expense in a game to cover is compensated for what he (or she) believes their time/effort to be worth quicker then you or someone else?

Sounds like they are not the stupid ones. I would be proud if my son at 12 would have came to me showing how he undercut high priced gougers selling popcorn while still making a profit....
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

maybe because its a game and some people just don't care much about fairytale gold, apparently you do! like a 12yr old who believe in fairytales.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    2 days ago quick amberjewel was selling for 50g.Yesterday it was selling for 250g and the uncut amberjewel was selling for the awesome price of only 9 gold.Bought 34 of those, cut em, sold 20 aaaaaaaaaaand that's easy gold. Buy cheap , sell high, make a lot of gold.Your gems will sell eventually no matter how many you have if you are always 1st on AH couse ppl are all gearing up atm.Just buy all the very cheap gems even if they are cut and sell them next day or later that day for their normal price.But I also don't understand why ppl undercut so much. I've put yday some brilliant inferno rubys and when i looked 1 minute later i was undercut by 100g. Dunno, i guess ppl like earning less money for the same amount of "work" if you can it like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydramaster View Post
    I am just wondering why people will undercut you for such great amounts, especially when they were selling at the original price.

In the first week of cata when JC designs were rare, I was selling fierce ember topaz for over 300g. I obviously knew this was going to be short lived, but the very next person I saw putting up that cut was putting it up for half the price.

Recently I have been selling enchanting mats, literally just yesterday i was selling stacks of dust for 315g. today I log in, and see stacks up for 200g. really?

Are these just the chinese gold farmers catching up? or are these people just being stupid and drastically dropping the price to try and get a quick sell?
    Most stuff on the AH is just massively overpriced at the moment. So thank god for undercutters and AH casuals that are too poor to play the ah.

I undercut just because there's an AH fee. If there were no AH fee, the AH market would be a lot more stable. However, since it costs me gold to put up an item I'd better at least be sure I'm going to get my item sold or else I lose that money. By undercutting you I'm increasing my chances at a sale and I also won't have to handle the item a second time to put it back on the AH.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Limiter View Post
    im on your server, undercutting till you go crazy.

but yeah, i dont care about others the sec i hit the AH, i undercutt EVERYONE on EVERYTHING because i want money right now.

and it makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside when people send me rage whispers.
    I'm pretty sure this is not about undercutting in general. but undercutting by such huge amounts(eg. item is on for 200g, 199g, 198g and someone undercuts them down to 120g)

Personally, I just think it's pretty stupid that they are willing to lose such a huge profit for a quick sale, but hey, it makes me a profit, like 99% of others, I just buy them out and put them back on for the original price)
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2011-01-03 at 11:49 AM. Reason: GRAMMARZ

I bought almost all of my enchants for 1-30g only the chest one was expensive. Some undercutters just go too far.

Deleted
    atm on the server i playon Ember meta gem is currently at 350g bo. i was the frst on the realm to get this cut and was selling em at 1k each and now has slowly drop to the mentioned price of 350g, this i down to undercuts but its stable price. i have moved to raw metas as the sale price is much much more and im gaining a bigger profit.

also undercuting works great if you have stocks.. i have over 200 nightsones and lots of gold due to undercutting..

nightstones sell for like 150+ i undercut big time and then hope some undercuts me.. i buy them up, remove my undercut and then sell at the 150 price. i always keep stock and a big profit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skodnar View Post
    maybe because its a game and some people just don't care much about fairytale gold, apparently you do! like a 12yr old who believe in fairytales.
    Thing is, this may just be fairytale gold but if you take the time to learn how things work and get good at it, you'll have an edge in RL economics compared to a different person that didn't take the time to play around with AH and instead sold his items for 1/3 of what he could have.

Not to mention it's fun!
    Last edited by mmoc4b41585514; 2011-01-03 at 11:53 AM.

the price of dust follows the price of de'able greens that provide dust

eg. a pair of redsteel gauntlets costs 18-20g on my server - they de into 1-3 dust or 1-3 Lesser Celestial Essence - which would mean an inferred value of 1xdust = 9g

one stack of dust = 180g

any greens that are priced lower and have similar dust castoff should be bought and de'ed - then sold for profit

seems to me u were just pricing urself out of the market

pricing ur stacks at 315g would meen that redsteel gauntlets should cost 31,5g be4 ur price holds
    Last edited by ;-)-~~; 2011-01-03 at 11:56 AM.

Deleted
    Not every WoW player has a brain mate, some people undercut themselves... /facepalm

May be stating the obvious but you should AH everything off-peek (1am-8am)
    Volatile Air at that time sell for around 35/38g and during peek hours they're only 25-30g

They DO sell off-peek, sometimes as fast as peek time.

Deleted
    Just recently I had a couple of Flashing Inferno Rubies up for sale for 330g. I come back a bit later to see I had been undercut. I relist the items below the cheapest auction. A few minutes later I come back again and I see that once again I'd been undercut.

This goes on for 2 days until I get pissed of my stuff not selling and drop the price from 300g to 200g. I don't care if I do the extra 100g or not, it's all still profit to me but not selling is a loss, since I can't use the gems myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by Puffpower View Post
    If you CAN sell a product for much less than your competitors, turning a profit and keeping business away from them and with you, do it.
    If you WANT a product, you're always going to look for the best deal while retaining certain (your own) standards of quality, which in wow is negated since [Item] either exists or does not exist. if it does and there are lots of them, you get [Item] cheap (everyone undercutting each other), if supply is sparse, you pay more because of less competition at pricing.

Welcome to basic economics; supply & demand. While wow is only a "game", this model still applies too the fullest.

While there are lots of threads on this topic & the majority of them are replies such as "12 year olds being dumb", the truth is, people are buying their "product" and not yours. They must be turning some kind of profit or they wont be doing it (even a 12 year old realises they're running out of gold). As posted above, a better action to take, is to "buy up" your competitors and create a monopoly on the market. Assuming you have the initial fund of course xD

The fact someone undercut you and is getting their product sold isn't really a negative on them, more yourself for not adapting to what is obviously a changing market as supply increases (new stuff becomes less rare / easier to obtain).
    this is wrong because you can farm a lot of stuff yourself, and "12 year olds" don't always make the connection that the items they have farmed are worth a lot because they got it for "free". so without any research they just think that it would be cool to get 100g for this [item] even tho the next one on is 200g. somepeople simply don't think about what mats and such are worth because they rarely buy from the AH themselfs, they just get them while questing or w/e.
    these are also the people that craft stuff where the mats are worth 1000g and put it on for 600, because they got a skill from it. undercutting is rarely a clever buisness strategy in this game, it is much more common that it's just some1 without a clue just thinking "X would be nice to get from this item".
    ps: it's the same people that put BoE epics on ah for 80k gold.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ilver View Post
    Chinese gold farmers wouldn't do this kind of nonsense since the food on their table literally depends on how good they play the AH. This is just 12-year olds being stupid.
    Also depends on how many accounts they hack and how much gold they steal

15+ Year Old Account
    It's even worse with tailoring. The crafted epic legs where selling for 18-16k easly for a few weeks. A few days later there are 3 on ah for 18-15k

[2.Trade] WTS Flame-ascendsomething 9.5k

soo.. undercutting by 6.500 gold are we?

I always undercut for a lot. It is that i still get more with undercutting than by vendoring it, else everything would be giving away to the vendor.
    Why? I do not like the ah, i just want to get ride of the items i do not use, i do not want to spent time on the ah, putting something on the ah itself cost already enough time.
    So if i believe some of you, i would be stupid and 12y young. Hmm, playing this game since vanila open beta, a 29 years young and if i believe others, not supid. The point is that i do not care about ingame gold, i only care about what i like on this game.

Why wouldn't you undercut?
    I always undercut by 5% with my addon. It's not like the items im selling are worth anything to me, I just buy and resell. As long as I have a small profit im happy, since I sell in masses.