Thread: Mumble

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mumble

In my mind i believe this is the forum area to put it in, because like it or not, VoIP programs might as well be part of our UIs as addons because they are so vital.
    On-to my question : Can anyone give me a reason,besides the lesser usage, to not goto mumble from vent? I have been using it a lot in pugs, and while the initial download can be a chore, it actually doesnt take that long to set up (my tests have been 3-5 minutes to get talking in server). The quality is better, the interface for ingame is nicer than vent's, and it is lightyears faster when talking. I cant find one, does anyone have any?

I do realize that people use vent 1000000000% more, but just because the majority do it doesnt mean it's better. Just means more people use it.
    Last edited by Alteris; 2011-01-04 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Adding extra part

Sry if this seems off topic, but light years is a measurement of distance, not time.

Simply for the fact that more people have vent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mumble beats Vent hands down, I don't understand why people are so resistant to change and are unwilling to try new things though

Quote Originally Posted by xepheroth5026 View Post
    Sry if this seems off topic, but light years is a measurement of distance, not time.
    It kinda is. When i was using the lightyears reference, i was using it in the common saying of something being miles ahead of something else, might be a regional saying tho

Edit ----

Quote Originally Posted by Krid View Post
    Simply for the fact that more people have vent.
    um... i might not have been clear. I do understand that Vent is the "industry" standard
    Last edited by Alteris; 2011-01-04 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Added extra comment

Honestly the only problem is people can be stupid and completely unable to get mumble to work. But mumble is so much better. Especially since running your own server is free assuming you have the capability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woxingma View Post
    Honestly the only problem is people can be stupid and completely unable to get mumble to work. But mumble is so much better. Especially since running your own server is free assuming you have the capability.
    I completely agree, and there isn't much to it either, just use the Audio Wizard, it guides you step by step, and even if you're unable to host, there are plenty of private servers which are so much better than Vent anyday

Quote Originally Posted by Larcissa View Post
    I completely agree, and there isn't much to it either, just use the Audio Wizard, it guides you step by step, and even if you're unable to host, there are plenty of private servers which are so much better than Vent anyday
    Not to mention cheaper if you need to get your own hosting.

Mumble, while being an excellent program, still has some issues, such as not being able to adjust individual volume of users, even though it has the sound dampening while a user is talking, individual people can be too loud or too quiet, and that isn't easily fixed.

I know of a few people that experienced crashing, or sound cutting out while using the program.

Ventrilo is much more refined in it's current state, but I'm sure Mumble will become more popular in the future.

Had to download it for a raid once. I'll give you several reasons why I won't and have not used it ever again.
    It was a hassle to both download and setup. Ventrilo is much easier to set up and also understand.
    My mic sounded terrible on mumble, and I couldn't figure out why. (smooth on vt, skype etc).
    Several others in the raid had trouble setting it up as well, couldn't talk, annoying mics and other issues.

Given this was around a year ago, they may have improved it greatly, but still it was over-complicated and annoying, I just don't see why I would do the switch when ventrilo works just fine.

I just switched to Mumble - way better, do not regret. Not to mention the Overlay is just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Värgen View Post
    It was a hassle to both download and setup. Ventrilo is much easier to set up and also understand.
    My experience was the opposite. It had a quick 5 min setup process that took you through everything you needed to do and it came out perfect at the end. No issues - way quicker then a Vent setup.
    Last edited by Yooya; 2011-01-04 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well light years measures the Distance light spans "or Travels" within one year.
    So its a measurement of both time and distance.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Well light years measures the Distance light spans "or Travels" within one year.
    So its a measurement of both time and distance.
    No, a "light year" is a measurement of distance only.

Specifically, it is 5,878,625,373,183.608 miles (just shy of 6 trillion miles). It can also be listed as 0.3067 parsecs, or 63241.1 AU.

On german server, everybody uses teamspeak3.

mumble is 10x better than vent. No latency at all when you need to get things said (basically like skype very low latency), where as with vent is a delay for everything you hear. No need to even normalize anyones voices mumble does that for you, i have never had to turn down or up anyone in my mumble server.
    Last edited by Kepi; 2011-01-04 at 06:08 AM.
    Thanks Caiti for the Signature and Avatar

It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!

My guild uses Mumble, it's way better. It feels better, functions better, looks better, and two people on the same IP can be in it at the same time! Not sure if vent fixed that yet, it was really dumb.

It's a shame the WoW community doesn't change to Teamspeak 3. It's far beyond any VoIP out there right now.

Deleted
    Moved, Computers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    My guild uses Mumble, it's way better. It feels better, functions better, looks better, and two people on the same IP can be in it at the same time! Not sure if vent fixed that yet, it was really dumb.
    We use Vent in our guild and works perfectly fine also we join like 2-3 from the same ip so i think they fixed it.
    I dont get why change something that works fine...
    Retired