Thread: Mumble

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Vent works, but honestly - I've been using Teamspeak 3 with some my old FPS clans for the past few months - resubbed to WoW and got back on my old guilds VT server.

Jesus christ, it was impossible to hear some people. Not to mention it does a poor job at properly handling volumes. I'm not sure if my FPS clan just has better mic policies or what; but theres no discernable difference at all from user to user when it comes to volume. VT in contrast is a bloody nightmare. And lets not talk about the massive amounts of background and electronic interference (common on integrated mic port soundcards, sorry guys) that VT enjoys transmitting as well. Damnit, Skype filters that out as well.

Oh, and then theres the famous VT delay.

Mumble>Vent>Teamspeak>WoWingamechat

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild
    (Nebulous on Chromaggus)
    use Mumble - find it so much better than Vent

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alteris View Post
    In my mind i believe this is the forum area to put it in, because like it or not, VoIP programs might as well be part of our UIs as addons because they are so vital.
    On-to my question : Can anyone give me a reason,besides the lesser usage, to not goto mumble from vent? I have been using it a lot in pugs, and while the initial download can be a chore, it actually doesnt take that long to set up (my tests have been 3-5 minutes to get talking in server). The quality is better, the interface for ingame is nicer than vent's, and it is lightyears faster when talking. I cant find one, does anyone have any?

I do realize that people use vent 1000000000% more, but just because the majority do it doesnt mean it's better. Just means more people use it.
    1/ I don't know on which realm you play but on mine (EU-CdT) nobody uses vent. We got sth like TS2>TS3>Mumble (ordered by number of guilds using it).
    I've heard about some big guilds on french realms using vent but afaik it's rare.
    2/ I don't know much about vent but as a mumble user AND administrator, sound quality and access management are awesome.
    3/ It's quite easy to set up a mumble server in like 10 minutes (with basic config)

10+ Year Old Account
    Mumble simply have better quality, an awesome overlay, and it's REALLY easy to use compared to ventrilo.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    TS3 would like to have a word with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

Quote Originally Posted by uzdana View Post
    1/ I don't know on which realm you play but on mine (EU-CdT) nobody uses vent. We got sth like TS2>TS3>Mumble (ordered by number of guilds using it).
    I've heard about some big guilds on french realms using vent but afaik it's rare.
    2/ I don't know much about vent but as a mumble user AND administrator, sound quality and access management are awesome.
    3/ It's quite easy to set up a mumble server in like 10 minutes (with basic config)
    awesome ! exactly the feedback i like. i think in a later post i said the TS is bigger in EU, just regional stuff. I am liking all the feedback, keep it coming guys!!!!!!!!! : edit I did NOT say that i knew that! thanks for the good point!!!!
    Last edited by Alteris; 2011-01-04 at 05:28 PM. Reason: correcting my stupid

My guild just switched to Mumble. Its awesome being able to talk and there not be half second/seconds of lag. Quality is better too. And its cheaper. And the interface is better.

Yea, Mumble pwns.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll throw in my support for TS3. It's absolutely superior to the other VoIPs right now.

Vent, however, is both fashionable and mainstream. It's what all the bros and pros use (I say that mockingly), so it won't be knocked from its throne any time soon.

my guild had been using vent for a long time, then the price went up like double per year, so we switched to Mumble which was much cheaper and in the start was no problems but lately we have some serious security issues on provider side.

So can someone give advice on good Mumble server provider company?

thanks for input guys!!! can anyone tell , without naming providers, what they have been paying for their various VOIP hosts? To make it simple i will give an example : $12/50 slots. I understand that things might be in Euros (I cant remember the alt key so i am a clumsy american and dont know it ), i can go check the conversion Thanks for the input again!

In my mind i believe this is the forum area to put it in, because like it or not, VoIP programs might as well be part of our UIs as addons because they are so vital.
    On-to my question : Can anyone give me a reason,besides the lesser usage, to not goto mumble from vent?.

in reality, an voip is bad for a gamer. they can be tunneled through and information about your machine can be gleamed through its usuage. i dont think its very ethical for blizzard to sell authenticators from one side of their mouth whilst promoting voip from another. any voip is a risk. a liability. same as the dilevery systems for addons. these should never be endorsed. and they dont have to be. they make enough money off a single market from ads as it is. those ads will root ya one of these days.

if it ain't broken, don't fix it

On-to my question : Can anyone give me a reason,besides the lesser usage, to not goto mumble from vent? I have been using it a lot in pugs, and while the initial download can be a chore, it actually doesnt take that long to set up (my tests have been 3-5 minutes to get talking in server). The quality is better, the interface for ingame is nicer than vent's, and it is lightyears faster when talking. I cant find one, does anyone have any?

I do realize that people use vent 1000000000% more, but just because the majority do it doesnt mean it's better. Just means more people use it.
    My old guild used Mumble. It is so much better then Vent its silly. The problem came when trying to get PuG's into the server. We used to call it the intelligence test. Points off for trying to plug the server info into vent =P

My current guild uses Vent, much to my dismay, but I'm not paying for it anymore so its not my decision. If I were paying for it still, it would be Mumble all the way.

It's really as good as you hear about.

---------- Post added 2011-01-04 at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chuck123 View Post
    TS3 would like to have a word with you

Mumble>TS3
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    My old guild used Mumble. It is so much better then Vent its silly. The problem came when trying to get PuG's into the server. We used to call it the intelligence test. Points off for trying to plug the server info into vent =P

My current guild uses Vent, much to my dismay, but I'm not paying for it anymore so its not my decision. If I were paying for it still, it would be Mumble all the way.

It's really as good as you hear about.

---------- Post added 2011-01-04 at 08:10 PM ----------

Mumble>TS3
    minus 10k dkp for not speaking with your check book.

Quote Originally Posted by soulbound View Post
    in reality, an voip is bad for a gamer. they can be tunneled through and information about your machine can be gleamed through its usuage. i dont think its very ethical for blizzard to sell authenticators from one side of their mouth whilst promoting voip from another. any voip is a risk. a liability. same as the dilevery systems for addons. these should never be endorsed. and they dont have to be. they make enough money off a single market from ads as it is. those ads will root ya one of these days.
    not the place for this, imo. this thread is asking about the use of it, not the ethical or security ramifications. I have my own views but this isnt the place to talk about those.
    Last edited by Alteris; 2011-01-05 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Spelling errors while shooting down fear mongering

Does anyone know if you can make private binds in mumble like in vent?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    100% agree, our clan went from TS, then Vent then tried Mumble, and i must say, awesome stuff, we sometimes have like 20 people talking at once, and you can still hear everyone crystal clear, what makes it even better too is our mumble provider hooked the logins into our guild forum so we dont have to look after the permissions etc seperately.

We also tried 3 different mumble providers (yes we seek perfection) and we found Leetspeak to be the most reliable and best pings

Ukrai
    The Harlequin
    Biggest Oceanic Clan and proud of it!