ret pvp

So you want to PVP?

Table of Content:
    Talent Tree
    Glyphs
    Stats, Reforge, Enchants, Gems
    Playstyle

Talent Tree:

So, there are a few things you can do with the current Retribution tree. It all depends on what your playstyle will be(see playstyle).

Raiding Spec: Here you have the current raiding spec for Retribution Paladins. This is simply for your casual PVPer whom does a battleground here and there. http://wowtal.com/#k=7_URFqaQ.a8t.paladin.

PVP Survivability: Here you have a PVP spec more for survivability. I'v used this a few times and its a pretty decent build for running flags. This would be more of a Battleground(flag running) spec. http://wowtal.com/#k=xNrkAib0.a8t.paladin.

PVP Damage: If you want to do the abosolute best damage while having some sort of survivability. Then i would recomend using this spec. http://wowtal.com/#k=7KpvDLi0.a8t.paladin.

Glyphs:

There isn't many to choose from to help you out, but here is a few that will.

Prime:
    Glyph of Crusader Strike : Its your main damage ability
    Glyph of Templars Verdict : Use as much as possible with only 3 holy power!
    Glyph of Exocism : It turns your Exorcism into a hurtful DoT

Major:
    Glyph of Hammer of Justice : Stuns are very valuable in PVP
    Glyph of Rebuke : You will use Rebuke alot
    *Whatever youd like* : There isn't much else so put whatever you feel is better

Miner:
    Glyph of Rightous : You will change seals a few times
    Glyph of Insight : You will change seals a few times
    Glyph of Justice : You will change seals a few times

Stats, Reforge, Enchants, Gems:

This is pretty simple. Your mostly going to want to get a few stats(according to other guides). However i have found getting certain stats to a certain point to be very helpful.

Stats:
    Strength: This is your most important stat. You want to stack as much of this as possible.

Hit Rating: You want to make sure you have atleast 5% hit rating. This allows you to not miss.

Expertise: Again, you want to get a decent amount so your not being dodged(will come with gear.
    never reforge/gem)

Haste: This is a very big stat right now. You want to snatch up as much haste as possible. As a general rule; you want to get crusader strike down to a 3 second cooldown

Mastery: Alot of people are saying not to get this stat. But I have found to get your mastery to atleast 20% to be viable(this will change and be updated in the next patch!)

Reforge:
    Strength>Haste>Hit/Expertise>Mastery This will be your guidline. Remeber! you want to get hit to 5% as well as exertise to 5%(dodge)

Enchants:
    Strength>Haste>Hit/Expertise>Mastery This will be your guidline. Remeber! you want to get hit to 5% as well as exertise to 5%(dodge)

Gems:

Playstyles:

There are quite a few different playstyles today. You have playstyles to fit Battlegrounds, and Arena's.

Battlegrounds:
    You generally want to go more for a spec that does damage as well as being able to keep yourself alive. I would say go more for the PVP Damage spec for this. Simply because it allows you to do decent damage while keeping yourself alive.

Arena's:
    The purpose of going into arena's as ret is to do as much burst damage as you possibly can. So for here i would really say use the Raiding Spec. Simply because it will allow you to do the most damage.

Deleted
    You missed crit compleatly?

I think that crit is much more valuble in pvp that haste atm. Nice little post though.

Edit-

Also, a note on your 'Arena Spec'. I found it wise to grab 2 points in selfless healer, do a full 3 HP word of glory on your team member (lets face it, paladins arnt the primary focus target at the start) which gives you 12% extra dmg, pop wings which is an extra 20% then hammer the healer.

Also, you'll wanna always take 2 points in eternal glory. The heal from WoG isnt too high but its enough to keep a member topped. I've won loads of 2v2/3v3 just because of my WoG critting twice in a row for 25k each.

Edit again-

Holy crap, is it even possible to get 20% mastery right now? lol.
    Last edited by mmocb990c7e779; 2011-01-04 at 03:37 PM.

Deleted
    Hi,

I have been discussing the secondary stats for Ret pvp for quite some time now on the forums and it seems that the main discussion boils down to Haste versus Mastery from PvP. Crit comes after both imo. I know that contradicts what the person above me stated, but it's plain simply explained by the insane amount of RNG crit we already have and the gains from haste (and mastery) compared to a increase in a % of crit. It could be so that at a higher item lvl, crit becomes more viable, but at this point it seems pointless to invest in such a low percentage when all our RNG abilities crit for loads.

Back to Haste versus Mastery. I believe that mastery overtakes haste in pvp and let me explain why. Haste is only useful for two things in PvP: Exorcism procs and CS cd reduction. All other proclaimed advantages are false in PvP, because the aspect of PvP is not about a a sustainable dps routing like in PvE.
    Looking at these two advantages, I can evaluate them both. The CS reduction is nice, but already present due to a holy talent called: Judgement of the Pure which gives you a really big haste buff). That talents actually does something for the cs cd, but a few secondairy haste stats on offsets actually does little to it. You might be able to reduce the cd to 4 seconds with pvp gear, but then you'll see that the cs-random-cs routine still won't be possible. Than there is the aspect of PvP which requires you to Word of Glory and be very flexible in combat, which undermines every benifit I stated above. Sustainable perfect dpsing is not possible for ret in pvp.

Exorcism procs. These are great! I still think one could choose to go fullout haste and combine it with the blazing light talent in holy and have exorcism as one of their strongest burst skills. But! How much more often will exorcism proc in an average pvp battle? I believe this to be maybe once or twice in a normal battle. Think about it.. 20% chance for the proc to occur on auto attacks. You only get a small increase in the # of auto attacks (if any really in pvp). And auto attacks are not really ever present in pvp are they? You are healing, supporting your teammates, while RNG bursting people down. So this seems not really a good option if you ask me.

So why is mastery better? It's better now because of Hand of Light! It's awesome and in combination with "Last word" you'll be able to pop 40-50k crit heals with word of glory or pop out a TV with 3 stacks. I believe this to be the PvP new ret for grouped pvp.
    The new changes provide us with hand of light as a talent and changes mastery into a dmg increase on our abilities. This doesn't sound very pvpish, but could still be better than haste spec for the same reasons I mentioned above. It's a combination or aspects really.
    Last edited by mmoc16c853e3cf; 2011-01-04 at 04:16 PM.

I strongly disagree with your specs. Your survivability spec lacks Selfless Healer and your damage spec lacks Blazing Light. Eye for an Eye offers nothing to a survivability build.

Also, Glyph of Exorcism would be a bad idea because that DoT might still be ticking when you need to target swap and Repent your target. All DoTs other than Censure should be your enemy.

Stack haste of PvP?? You didn't really say that, did you? Never reforge/gem Expertise, but you suggested reforging/gemming for it further down the page?
    Last edited by Prentice; 2011-01-04 at 04:32 PM.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    I strongly disagree with your specs. Your survivability spec lacks Selfless Healer and your damage spec lacks Blazing Light. Eye for an Eye offers nothing to a survivability build.

Also, Glyph of Exorcism would be a bad idea because that DoT might still be ticking when you need to target swap and Repent your target. All DoTs other than Censure should be your enemy.

Stack haste of PvP?? You didn't really say that, did you? Never reforge/gem Expertise, but you suggested reforging/gemming for it further down the page?
    I'm no PVP genius, but I also strongly disagree with the specs.

I think playing around with Selfless Healer/Imp HoJ are viable options. If you play correctly, you will notice that you can sacrifice some damage for important PVP utility. I was able to do this because I already so an enormous amount of damage, so losing out on a little bit did not really affect my ability to kill a target.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PvP build i prefer
    http://wowtal.com/#k=7CURRIIZ.a8t.paladin.zMVNM

There is one alternative with EG and imp.HoJ.

And the Stat priority imo is
    Hit (get it capped dammit!) > str > crit > mastery > expertise > haste
    Last edited by ipoststuff; 2011-01-05 at 12:45 AM. Reason: typo

Why would you suggest raid spec in arenas? I appreciate the effort, but this post is all kinds of wrong. I'd get more into detail, I'm on my phone in an airport right now.