Processors - Help Please!

So here is the deal. I ordered an i5 760 and windows 7 bundle on Christmas; it came with a free intel SSD. I'm thinking of canceling the order and instead holding out for the i5 2500K. Will the 2500K beat out an i5 760 + cheapo SSD?

What should I do overall? (there *might* be a small restocking fee if I cancel the order)
    mostowizard is genius.
    -Posted by zaf on 23/12/10

Yes, he new i5 2600k and whatever motherboard you stick it in (note, it has to be a Sandy Bridge compatible one) will beat out the 760. As for what you should do, it depends if you're willing to wait or not.

Deleted
    Go Go I5 2500k 30% more performance ;P

Deleted
    Definitly wait for sandy bridge, they have an awesome performance and for what i've heard yet, they are perfect for overclocking.
    Also i don't think that u will have to pay if u send it back. Almost every online shop (atleast in my country, which is germany) has a 14 day time span in that u can return what you bought there. Condition it has to be unopened.

I am waiting for the i7-2600k myself since im upgrading from a older core2quad thats about to die on me

I'm going to go against the grain here. First off, I've played WoW on a computer setup for just about every configuration possible. P4 530, E6750, Q6600, E8500, Q9650, E8600, i7 920, and finally on my i7 860. Probably about 10 different video cards and motherboards (yes, I bounce from hardware to hardware way to often just to try new things). Once I got to the mid section of that processor list, I stopped seeing a performance boost. For example, I didn't see any gain going from my E8600 on a P45 platform to the i7 920 on the X58 platform.

What I'm getting at, while Sandybridge will perform better than an i5 760 in synthetic benchmarks (they are beast chips, and I probably will get one), you will not gain a noticeable performance difference in WoW over the i5 760. If your choice is an i5 760 with a SSD, or a Sandybridge without a SSD, keep the first option. A SSD is something that WILL give you a noticeable improvement.

Again, don't read my post wrong. I'm not saying Sandybridge isn't a better or more powerful chip. But in something like WoW, you won't see a difference.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMenace View Post
    Definitly wait for sandy bridge, they have an awesome performance and for what i've heard yet, they are perfect for overclocking.
    Also i don't think that u will have to pay if u send it back. Almost every online shop (atleast in my country, which is germany) has a 14 day time span in that u can return what you bought there. Condition it has to be unopened.

I am waiting for the i7-2600k myself since im upgrading from a older core2quad thats about to die on me

Sandy Bridge came out today, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGxMdwJ1Rjk

This video has me very confused. More CPUs in this series will be released over the next half year? How is the performance on these CPUs? Are they better than anything else on the market?

Also, I know there's a new socket, but will the new chipsets work with the i5/i7 processors?

Quote Originally Posted by Eruu View Post
    Sandy Bridge came out today, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGxMdwJ1Rjk

This video has me very confused. More CPUs in this series will be released over the next half year? How is the performance on these CPUs? Are they better than anything else on the market?

Also, I know there's a new socket, but will the new chipsets work with the i5/i7 processors?
    This one I can answer. Assuming you mean current 1156 processors, no, they won't work. Natively. But ASrock is coming out with an LGA 1155 board that WILL work with 1156 processors.
    mostowizard is genius.
    -Posted by zaf on 23/12/10

15+ Year Old Account
    Get Sandy Bridge.

With the ease of overclocking it, and WoW's biggest benefactor being CPU clock speed, Sandy Bridge will have a large impact on everything in WoW, and everything on your computer in general
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right