Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

In need of EVERY advice we can get on Cho'Gall 10 man normal

Hey!
    My guild and I have finally reached all the normal endbosses, and was trying on Cho'Gall last night!
    We mostly fail to Worshipping, Fester Blood and sometimes Shadowcrash.
    Best attempt was 36% with the following raid setup:
    Protection Warrior
    Protection Paladin
    Assasination Rogue
    Fury Warrior
    Survival Hunter
    Destruction Warlock
    Fire/Frost Mage (we tried both (He didnt have Blizzard specced)
    Balance Druid (untill we went 3healers)
    Holy priest(after we went 3 healers)
    Resto Druid
    Holy Paladin

As you see in the title, do we need EVERY(!!!) advice possible, every little usage of unseen abilitys, before the raid tonight!

Thanks in advance
    Sarrkra And Officers of Synergy (Dragonmaw EU)
    Last edited by mmoce3dc0c7301; 2011-02-15 at 07:35 AM.

It would be appropriate for you to specify any problems your raid was having. Specifically, why did you wipe at 36%? Why were you wiping before? What were consistent troubles you were having with the fight?

Were your healers comfortable with the overall damage?

Were your ranged dps handling the adds effectively?

Were your tanks handling the boss and adds effectively?

Were you interrupting the MC's quickly?

Deleted
    Hey there,

We have pretty much the same setup as You do, just instead of the rogue we have second mage.
    We figured out that none of the normal tactics displayed on internet really work for us so we tried to turn it all around.
    The big ads that spawn were kited and killed at the throne. That way the little slimes struggle a little around the stairs and stuff before they reach the ground and go after group..which gives dpsers a lot of time to kill them fast and without any corruption taken.
    For MCs..we stand all behind the boss and when MCs hit, tank just shockweave to interrupt them.
    Other then that its pretty easy fight, when u get to the last phase (every guild does this different) either spread around the middle circle facing out of each other so you dont vomit on each other, interrupt and kill the tentacles asap (they dont have much hp..). Other tactics is to lure the boss to the throne itself and kill him there, the tentacles will spawn on the same spot or very close to each other, so you just shockweave interrupt them and aoe them down fast.
    We use the first tactic but many guilds do the second.

Hope this helps at least a little

Worshipping: EVERYONE should be trying to interrupt. When you are all stacked up, a shockwave from the tank, a shield from the pally, a shadowfury from the destro warlock, and / or a dragon's breath from the mage all work great and aren't super long stuns. Try not to use anything longer than 3 seconds (don't blind.. don't fear etc). When everyone is spread out when the add is up, make sure people call out immediately if they are crucial to interrupting the add and are mc'd. We generally go with "I can't get next interrupt.. ____ get it.. get me out of mc." Again.. EVERYONE should be trying to get them out of it. Boss tank needs to be very wary of boss buffs... if worshipping ticks too long (and it sometimes happens even though it shouldn't) he / healers need to be ready to pop cd's to keep the tank up.

Adds: Hunter trap is very helpful. I've done it with adds on the steps and in one corner of the room.. prefer the steps. Have the hunter drop a slowing trap @ the base of the steps. Make sure the add tank brings the adherent over the trap to set it off and then up the stairs as far as possible. Warlock shadowfurying all the adds when they are up is very helpful. Mage can nova them as well to buy time. Boomkin can knock them back. It's very important that nobody gets hit by the adds when dpsing them tho. While it might not seem like it is a lot of dmg, it causes corruption, which is crucial to keep corruption as low as possible.

Shadowcrash: It's too easy to avoid.. srsly. Only time anyone should ever get hit by it is if they were mc'd and were just removed from mc when the crash hit them. Some people don't realize they need to move immediately when it spawns on them. Like.. cancel your super awesome cast that has .5 seconds left and get out of there. It looks a little smaller than the crash radius actually is.. get well out of it.

We are mostly interrested in how YOU guys did the fight and i edited the original thread abit
    ya I saw your edit.. sorry mine was a little more delayed.
    Last edited by mascaron; 2011-02-15 at 07:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mascaron View Post
    no advice can really be given unless you give us more information. The fight can be accomplished just fine with your raid makeup
    We are mostly interrested in how YOU guys did the fight and i edited the original thread abit

---------- Post added 2011-02-15 at 08:44 AM ----------

bumping, need more information

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyshit View Post
    Well, there you have it.

Worshipping must be interrupted, or else Cho'gall will gain too many stacks and... WIIIIIPE!

I play only 25-man, but the strategy our 10-man alt group uses is basically the same as in 25-man. We huddle up behind the boss, mages interrupt with dragon's breath for the most part, but priests fear too. I tend to dispell fears and disorients then because it sucks so much so be hit by those shadow crashes when you're still feared/disoriented.

Wiping to Fester Blood so early on is fail. It really is. Don't stand in shadow crashes. That's what seems to really get Corruption going, more than anything else. If you avoid those, you can easily avoid hitting 100% corruption and dying to no more healing received. 75% corruption level already sucks. The tentacles are icky. And before that, face away from the raid when you're vomiting. Yes, even if it hurts your DPS. Even though the last phase is a bit of a DPS race, killing your raid and ooming your healers will not help speed up that race.

Do you dispell the debuff on people that looks like a warlock's corruption icon in grid? Dispell it. It'll raise the corruption level of the afflicted with each tick. The sooner it's dispelled, the better.

Move out of fires. Move out of shadow crashes. No really, move out of shadow crashes. If your people can't handle shadow crashes, take them to Ulduar and have them engage Vezax and only leave the place when you've got the Shadow Dodger achievement - and maybe have them wear worse gear or else they'll one-shot the poor guy

Aside from blatant interrupt/movement fails, kill any spawning adds quickly. Pull the big adds far away from Cho'gall, kill the small ones. Any DPS too lazy or dps-crazy to switch target needs a kick in the shins.

Deleted
    Stack up in middle. Have the warlock interrupt worship with shadowfury. Don't get hit by shadowcrashers. Have the other tank taunt the beam so that the cho'gall tank never goes above 1 debuff.

Deleted
    Hey!
    My guild and I have finally reached all the normal endbosses, and was trying on Cho'Gall last night!
    Protection Warrior
    Protection Paladin
    Assasination Rogue
    Fury Warrior
    Survival Hunter
    Destruction Warlock
    Resto Druid
    Holy Paladin

As you see in the title, do we need EVERY(!!!) advice possible, every little usage of unseen abilitys, before the raid tonight!

Thanks in advance
    Hello, congratulations on reaching the end bosses. Cho'gall has an enourmous amount of abilities and skills to watch out for but in my opinion is relatively simple. A few tips and tricks we use:

Have the prot pala tank the boss, so he can clear worships with avengers shield.

Make sure you are using DBM, and have the announce shadowcrash near you option ticked.

With the amount of ranged aoe you have the festering blood should be a breeze, make sure the hunter is getting a slowing trap down, when they are out of that get the destruction lock to shadowfury them, frost/fire mage nova them. A tip for the warlock, use summon infernal on the last wave of adds (usually 4 waves in our case) really cleans them up fast. Ring of frost u also good for emergencys.

When you get to the last phase, spread out a bit for all the people throwing up and make sure you nuke the tentacles fast interuppting their cast. They are stunnable so things like shadowfury, HoJ work wonders.

Best of Luck.
    Destron - Twilight EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destron View Post
    Hello, congratulations on reaching the end bosses. Cho'gall has an enourmous amount of abilities and skills to watch out for but in my opinion is relatively simple. A few tips and tricks we use:

Have the prot pala tank the boss, so he can clear worships with avengers shield.

Make sure you are using DBM, and have the announce shadowcrash near you option ticked.

With the amount of ranged aoe you have the festering blood should be a breeze, make sure the hunter is getting a slowing trap down, when they are out of that get the destruction lock to shadowfury them, frost/fire mage nova them. A tip for the warlock, use summon infernal on the last wave of adds (usually 4 waves in our case) really cleans them up fast. Ring of frost u also good for emergencys.

When you get to the last phase, spread out a bit for all the people throwing up and make sure you nuke the tentacles fast interuppting their cast. They are stunnable so things like shadowfury, HoJ work wonders.

Best of Luck.
    Destron - Twilight EU
    We use our shadowfury on Worship

Make sure ur hunter is specced in "entrapment" which roots targets for 4 sec when they get afflicted by frost trap. I play an SV hunter myself, and by glyphing ice trap, speccing entrapment and putting one trap down as soon as the big add spawn, i've been able to use 2 ice traps on each addwave for a whopping 8 sec root, which was enough to allow me, an elemental and a shadowpriest to kill up to 5 packs of adds(notice the lack of aoe dps)

furthermore make sure ur mage does combustion on 2nd and 4th wave if u have 4 waves, 1st and 3rd if u have 3, 1st 3rd and 5th if u have 5

Your setup is insane for this fight with all the aoe, the warr tank to interrupt and everything
    gl m8

edit: typo

you definately do NOT need three healers, you will make the final phase much more difficult without the extra DPS and the first phases are not difficult to heal at all

youtube.com/watch?v=FJdxXhQH3-E

2 healers is rly the way to go for this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by VitesseEOD View Post
    you definately do NOT need three healers, you will make the final phase much more difficult without the extra DPS and the first phases are not difficult to heal at all
    We usually run 25s but on our alt 10's run we needed 3 healers for the first 2 kills. The third we managed with 2 (myself as holy priest, and a resto shaman) but had our boomkin tranq and dump innervates into us.

One suggestion I do have is that if anyone is about to hit 100 corruption have them call that out in vent and heal them to full. We found that works best since it gives them the most uptime with increased DPS.

Also for breaking the mind control we have our prot warrior do shockwave on us. If we stack tightly the shockwave will cone through the boss and into us even with the warrior tanking chogall. I was originally doing psychic scream but we found shockwave to be better since it doesn't last as long and since the MC'd players won't be running all over the place.

Other than that its just execution. Hard swap to adds quickly. Try to get grouped back up for AOE to make it easier on the healers. Inturrupt. Click lightwell. Enjoy tier shoulders

We just stack in the middle, moving towards the stairs slowly when Chogal gets positioned in the middle. We always stack. Shadowfury, B11 racial, dragons breath, tankadin shield and the occasional disorienting shot (or what it's called) are predominantly used to get people out.

When add comes all switch on it and kill them pretty close to each other up the stairs, while raid spreads out (making interrupt of worhisp a bit harder admittatly). First add spawn not much AoE, single target seems more viable for many classes. After the second one AoE. We then off tank the fourth add as the DPS is usually sufficient to enter last phase.

Unless the boss is below 1% everyone does tentacles, again stunning/shielding them and so on is awesome, especially if you wait until they cast it, which is 2-3 seconds after they spawn. People vomitting just turn away from the raid (everyone stacks pretty much).

15+ Year Old Account
    Hey!
    Protection Warrior
    Protection Paladin
    Assasination Rogue
    Fury Warrior
    Survival Hunter
    Destruction Warlock
    Resto Druid
    Holy Paladin

Thanks in advance
    A little late, since you were asking for tonight, but my guild just got him for the first time tonight with a similar setup to yours.

Prot pally
    Prot warrior
    Mage
    Lock
    DPS DK
    Fury warrior
    Hunter
    Balance druid
    Holy pally
    Resto druid

The key was to push the DPS so you never got a 4th little ad spawn phase. If the 4th ad comes up, that's fine, just make sure Cho'gal pushes before he casts fester blood.

Prot warrior got all the ads with the DK branched off for interrupt help on him. Killed all the ads in a line on the stairs so all the ads came at a set path toward the raid. Slowing traps and boomkin typhoon were great for keeping the ads at a distance. The warlock was responsible for shadowfurying the ranged group for worship, the DK and DPS warrior had each other, and myself (prot pally) would stand between the boss and the warrior tank for shockwave if I got worship. Have your prot pally keep his shield available for melee worship as well. It will bounce from the boss to the melee for a bit of damage, but not really that much and it can be a VERY fast interrupt since there is no targeting of the person required.

When we were trying this in weeks past with a rogue, we had quite a bit of success with a tricks to the far tank and FoK on the ads after fester blood to put up crippling. Just make sure he gets out before tricks wears off, or he can have his stack go up VERY quick.

We ran 3 heals in weeks past and just found it too cumbersome. We went to 2 tonight and 2 shotted him for our first kill. It IS a healing check and the DPS MUST MUST avoid shadow crashes. Period, the end. Also, if he gets more then a 2 stack of the worship buff, that needs to be solved (we had a lot of zero and one stacks tonight).

In p3, establish a kill order (nothing to complex, just like 'right to left as we face the boss' or something and have the tank who ISN'T tanking go to the last kill target tentacle and get as many interrupts as possible. Occasionally you get 2+ spawned in close proximity... have your boomkin use solar beam on that, where they can get multiple tentacles with the same spell.

From the prot pally perspective, I would take the boss during ads while the warrior handled the ad. Glyphing WoG and Insight for this fight over SoR and HotR and running insight 100%, using HP for WoG self heals can really help the healers out during the 2 tanking times. With wings up and a lucky Eternal Glory proc, you can easily heal for a large chunk of your health in self healing.

Hopefully you got him. If not, this is some food for thought.
    "And then, as though awoken from a blind stupor,the people of the internet realised that: no one gives a damn.
    And no damns were given." - Calon, MMO-Champion (source)

Worship: have raid stack up behind boss for shockwave or AS. If you have bloodelves (which i bet you probably do) they should be using their racial aoe silence for the worshipping. Like you said, if you are using a warlock's shadowfury for interrupt, stacking=win.

Fester Gut: When we first downed this boss on 10man (1month+ ago) we had to drag the big add all the way to the entrance of the room. We tanked Chogal in the middle of the room so dps can switch between adds and boss faster. We also set up a rotation of skills.
    For example: We had our hunter always put aoe frost trap, 1st Fester, just aoe dps. 2nd Fest, just aoe dps, 3rd Fest, Warlock goes demon form and hellfire. 4th, DK pops army to help aoe.
    It's important that your melee tries their best not to get hit by adds and any other kinds of avoidable AOEs because we found that melee has the biggest problem with the corruption bar and if your melee are going into last phase with 50+ corruption, it's almost certain you won't have enough DPS to down the boss (this is back when we were still in blues though, not sure how geared you guys are)

Shadowcrash: Well, what can I say about this?... When you see any kinds of aoe on ground, gtfo of it.... I mean if your raid members are planning on doing any heroic raid content (before they get nerf batted even more), this is pretty standard... if they keep failing to this. Teach them how, yell at them, or replace them with new members.

Our 10man Set-up for Chogall first down:
    2 Paladin Tanks
    1 Frost Dk
    2 Demo Warlocks
    1 Surv hunter
    1 Elemental Shaman
    1 Holy Paladin
    1 Resto Druid
    1 Holy Priest

We had our warlocks rotate their demon form hellfire combo for 3rd and 4th Fester and Dk pop army for 5th. Our biggest problem at the time wasn't really the AOE, it was tanks were dying to chogal's hits when healers get Worship (at the time we did not use the stacking method so we had every raid member watch to interrupt + we did not tank chogal in the middle, and dps had to run super far to get back to boss) and making the enrage timer. The first time we downed Chogal, he was into enrage for 5-6 seconds, it was extremely close.

We currently do 25 mans only now so I can't give you any updates on our current comps for 10 man but I would assume almost any comp would work as long as you don't have 3 fury warriors (lols) since we're already so far into the expansion where everyone is pretty geared if they did any raiding for the last 2 months.

Hope this helps you on your encounter and good luck on Nef

**I might've mixed the 4th and 5th Fester wrong. It might've been just 4 in total, I don't really remember because we haven't gotten to Chogal on heroic yet so every time we do him on normal I'm just afking my ass out (I tank Chogal when the Big add is out, oh and don't tell other tanks that I told you this because they might get mad at me)
    Last edited by Fidoii; 2011-02-15 at 09:28 AM.

lv85 Protection Paladin
    lv85 Resto Shaman

Deleted
    that's actually quite similar to what raid comp i go with my guild.

well, we go all 3 ranged on the addhertens, along with rogue for interrupt. fury warrior stay on cho'gall.
    also if you have problem with the slimes after fester blood then can the rogue talen in assasination who makes targets strucked by fan of knives affected by cribbling poison very help full.
    Oh and just keep on reminding everyone in your raid to help with worshipping, and to stay in decent range in shadow order not spread like mofos. group up in flame order.

10+ Year Old Account
    We did this with 2 healers, 2 tanks, 4 ranged and 2 melee.

Our composition was
    Paladin tank
    Druid tank
    Holy paladin
    Resto druid
    Rogue
    Retribution paladin
    Fire mage
    Destruction warlock
    Shadow priest
    Hunter

What we did is have the boss at the throne with everyone except the boss tank at that time behind the boss. I, being a blood elf mage saved my arcane torrent for the first worship and dragon's breath for the other ones.

When the add spawns, the off tank at that time picks up the add and kites it to the stairs (as far up as possible), where we kill it. Pre-4.0.6 (when survival was the shit and hunters had good AE) we had the hunter take care of the first pack, with me just single targetting wherever needed. It was generally me and the hunter on the adds, but we needed help on the 4th pack from the other ranged (the rogue sometimes ran over and FoK'd with crippling poison on their thrown to slow them down). We never had more than 4 packs, if you get more, you should either a) swap out the crappy DPS or b) tell the ones who's falling behind, to step it up.

Theres no need to mention to get out of the fire and shadow crash thingy, it's obvious (ohwait, i did mention it now).

When we hit phase 2, we had the boss taken all the way up on the throne so the tentacles were easily AEd down by DS, FoK and all that stuff, we had me marking whatever we were focusing down. When the boss hit ~2%, we ignored the tentacles and just AE silenced them and nuked the boss.

All in all a pretty easy fight, we had around 5-6 wipes on him before our hunter logged on, when he got in it was a 2shot.

Cho'gall is definately the best end-boss to start with, in my opinion at least.

It's surprising that your best go was 36%, that means you're still "far" off of p2. What's killing you? The only "sudden death" options would be a tank getting killed, but that shouldn't happen if worships are interrutped quickly. First tank pulls -> Fury of Cho'gall -> 2nd tank taunts -> First tank grabs and drags the add to the back of the room where it's killed -> Fury of Cho'gall -> 1st taunts again (note that he still has the debuff for ~8s, make him use his 1m cooldown when he taunts) -> Fury of Cho'gall -> 2nd tank taunts (again, Fury is still up, use your 1m cooldown).
    The boss also deals additional damage after he "soaked" the fire elemental (gaining a buff for 10s) - if you're feeling spiky during this you can use your stronger cooldowns to cover for this. You shouldn't need cooldowns outside of Fury and the Fire phase if worships are interrupted.

People should avoid shadow crashes. The AoE Cho'gall does during his Shadow phase leaves a lot of time to heal the raid back up as there is no unavoidable damage for the following seconds.

You have a hunter. We didn't have one which made us struggle a bit (we run with 3 healers). Frost trap on the Blood helps a LOT. Have your Assa rogue tricks someone and FoK spam to make sure he doesn't grab any aggro, leave any other melee on the boss as it's too risky for them. By the time the bloods leave the frost trap they should have crippling poison on (Deadly Brew talent ftw [only needs 1 point]).

Phase 1 shouldn't be much of a problem. Get your people used to avoiding any kind of Corruption (interrupt-rotation on the corrupted adherent [tank & rogue]) because otherwhise you will likely not get him down in p2 (you shouldn't have more than 10-20 corruption entering p2). Once you get past phase 1 you just have interrupt-kill the Darkened Creations asap while making it into p2 with low corruption and it should be a kill (save BL for this).

Good luck!

Xcused - Dragonmaw EU! :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Only advise I can give is what we are doing. Use one Tank only, you get more DPS out of it. All you need to do is have someone to taunt the boss to take a stack of Fury of Cho'gall so that tank never goes above one stack. Basicly the DPS takes first fury, Tank takes second and then DPS takes third and so on. We are using a Death Knight DPS to take the stacks. And to point out, no the Hunter taunt doesn't work on Cho'gall otherwise he/she would be perfect for it since deterrence would be ready for each taunt.