Is Shadowbolt necessary anymore?

I play Demo spec, and looking through my talents, everything that procs off of Shadowbolt also procs off of Incinerate. My cast time for Incinerate is actually faster than Shadowbolt, and (I'm not completely sure here) but I think that it does more damage than Shadowbolt as well, especially when Molten Core procs.

The only reason I hung on to Shadowbolt was for Shadow and Flame, but now that's not an issue anymore. So is there really any reason to use it? Or am I missing something?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're missing something big. Shadow Bolt has a much higher Damage Per Execute Time than Incinerate thanks to it's better coefficient with your Spellpower. You should only use Incinerate when MC procs; including during Decimation.

Deleted
    I believe it benefits more from spellpower and such than incinerate does, and thus still does more. With Molten Core up, it does come up higher than shadowbolt (and decimation soulfire).

Thanks all. I figured there was something big I was missing, since no one else had asked this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention shadowbolt is waay cheaper meaning u'll have to lifetap less.

The shadow and flame adjustment is for destruction specs which were hardcasting shadowbolt purely for that effect, while shadowbolt outside of molten core is a dps increase for demonology.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The shadow and flame adjustment is for destruction specs which were hardcasting shadowbolt purely for that effect, while shadowbolt outside of molten core is a dps increase for demonology.
    Is this live yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullarkie View Post
    Is this live yet?
    No, it's just on the upcoming patch notes for 4.0.6.

To be honest, it's about time Incinerate can proc it too. <_<

As correctly stated those changes are for the 4.0.6 Public Test Realm, likely to hit live realms with that patch maybe in a month or two based on many of the previous PTR durations.
    It is certainly a sign that despite the nerfs, there is some effort towards improving some clumsy or outdated warlock mechanics.
    I am early awaiting the improved soul fire changes which are upcoming, though quite what they involve remains to be seen, and I feel those will not be quite as soon.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2011-01-08 at 05:06 AM.