Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DK tank - Weapon of choice?

I'm currently BiS for pre-raid standards. My only issue is... I have 3 weapons in my inventory from fastest to slowest

Arced War Axe (heroic)
    Foe Reaper (heroic)
    Blade of the fearless

Besides the foe reaper which is dead in the middle as far as atk speed goes, it also gives hit rather than crit; However, I been debating if a slower weapon would be better for my DPS as far as death strike goes as well as threat building.

Any thoughts?

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 03:33 PM ----------

also note, I'm PRE RAID!! So yes, I would obviously like a destroyer of worlds or worm mace... but I only have these to choose from for now... =P

I say either a 2h with hit/exp like Foe Reaper or something like http://www.wowhead.com/item=56342/sw...bottomless-pit that increases your blood shield and rune regen.

EDIT: I know you don't have sword of the bottomless pit but it is fantastic for dk tanks, also threat is pretty minor now with vengence so don't let attack speed make or break a 2h for you.

Deleted
    Zin'rokhs is pre raid, so there you go^^

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SioX View Post
    Zin'rokhs is pre raid, so there you go^^
    lol good luck getting that one
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    lol good luck getting that one
    don't mention it... 90 hours farming, no sight of it yet... though there are supposed to be lucky people.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't mention it... 90 hours farming, no sight of it yet... though there are supposed to be lucky people.
    lol the drop rate is close to the same % chance to be directly struck by lightning... 5 times... in 2 days... while in a building with lightning rods... after winning the lottery... 5 times.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.

Deleted
    lol the drop rate is close to the same % chance to be directly struck by lightning... 5 times... in 2 days... while in a building with lightning rods... after winning the lottery... 5 times.
    I think you are exagerating, several people on my server already have it. Just tough luck i suppose.

Back to topic: I like the mace from deadmines for it's mastery a lot. I'd stick with that one.

Edit: Fail it wasn't the mace it's the mace from Grim Batol or the sword from stonecore, haste isn't so bad.
    Last edited by mmoc28b40944be; 2011-01-07 at 09:01 PM.

The mace from Grim Batol has 202 mastery on it, and 202 haste you can reforge to whatever you please. I prefer this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're an orc, go for the Arced War Axe, if it puts you over exp cap, reforge some of it off your gear. If you're human use the Foe Reaver, same deal. Any other race and I don't know what to tell you, but as of right now I'm using the Arced War Axe and using it for raiding, it's my baby... an ugly baby, but still, mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are exagerating, several people on my server already have it. Just tough luck i suppose.

Back to topic: I like the mace from deadmines for it's mastery a lot. I'd stick with that one.

Edit: Fail it wasn't the mace it's the mace from Grim Batol or the sword from stonecore, haste isn't so bad.
    ok so i went overboard... :-þ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettshock View Post
    If you're an orc, go for the Arced War Axe, if it puts you over exp cap, reforge some of it off your gear. If you're human use the Foe Reaver, same deal. Any other race and I don't know what to tell you, but as of right now I'm using the Arced War Axe and using it for raiding, it's my baby... an ugly baby, but still, mine.
    THIS is bad advice. Hit and exp are not needed atm. Vengeance should keep you holding your mob. Go for survival! Your healers will thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    your first item listed you claim is called Arced War Axe
    i got curious and copy and posted that item...
    why would you want to use
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=3191/arced-war-axe

Kidding
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Arced_War_Axe_%28heroic%29

10+ Year Old Account
    THIS is bad advice. Hit and exp are not needed atm. Vengeance should keep you holding your mob. Go for survival! Your healers will thank you.
    I'm neither hit or exp capped, and it's always been a balance of threat/survivability. Yes, vengeance is amazing, but when you missed that blood boil or icy touch 80% of the time, you're wasting gcd's, losing threat, and losing survivability. Plus last I checked you needed to connect with the boss to keep Blood Barrier up :3

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 09:16 PM ----------

your first item listed you claim is called Arced War Axe
    i got curious and copy and posted that item...
    why would you want to use
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=3191/arced-war-axe

Kidding
    I used to tank LK 25 man with http://www.wowhead.com/item=28773
    Don't hate on the oldies buddy, that's just mean.
    Last edited by Brettshock; 2011-01-07 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Interesting you are posting 2 things where exp doesn't matter as far as i know...
    but yeah you need some threat that is true, however not going for those stats makes at most 2% difference in dmg taken, there is a nice little sim of that on elitjerks if you care to check^^

Edit: here is a direct link: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t110102-...6/#post1831776
    Last edited by mmoc28b40944be; 2011-01-07 at 09:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm neither hit or exp capped, and it's always been a balance of threat/survivability. Yes, vengeance is amazing, but when you missed that blood boil or icy touch 80% of the time, you're wasting gcd's, losing threat, and losing survivability.
    Follow the advice with http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t110102-...e_tanking_4_x/ on thie hit/exp and get the appropriate weapon with more of the stat you need.

Interesting you are posting 2 things where exp doesn't matter as far as i know...
    but yeah you need some threat that is true, however not going for those stats makes at most 2% difference in dmg taken, there is a nice little sim of that on elitjerks if you care to check^^
    i posted about the elitist jerks and they said to get hit/exp for threat if its an issue. which he is clearly saying. So based on what he said, your however doesn't apply to the OP
    Last edited by Avatar Killer; 2011-01-07 at 09:22 PM.

im using foe reaper atm( atleast until i get http://www.wowhead.com/item=59492) and works alright for me which means no threat issues at all even if im hideously below hit and exp cap but its not nearly as important now as it was before because of vengeance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to tank LK 25 man with http://www.wowhead.com/item=28773
    Don't hate on the oldies buddy, that's just mean.
    lol it's not mean it was meant to be funny

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 03:26 PM ----------

For the record... if you get the slowest weapon of your list you can generally make up for the threat loss from lack of hit and what not for the added damage from strikes based on what malletin just said.

I'm neither hit or exp capped, and it's always been a balance of threat/survivability. Yes, vengeance is amazing, but when you missed that blood boil or icy touch 80% of the time, you're wasting gcd's, losing threat, and losing survivability. Plus last I checked you needed to connect with the boss to keep Blood Barrier up
    Agreed. I tend to try and get 5-6 percent hit and close to expertise softcap. I like the mace out of Grim Batol as well (Using the normal version right now) because of the mastery.
    SW:TOR: Kina Legacy on Drooga's Pleasure Barge, formerly Senjak Legacy on Master Zhar Lestin.

2H with Mastery and either Hit or Expertise.

Reforge one of them into Dodge/Parry depending on which is lower, if you don't need threat definitely reforge the hit/expertise into Dodge/Parry.

Hit and Exp are threat stats, that's true, but a run of misses or dodge/parries on your DS will quickly turn them into potential survivability stats. I use the Foe Reaper, and I aim for the 5-man soft caps on both. Very easy to get without much reforging at all, and allowing for a great deal of reforged mastery (or whatever we'll be forging for after the patch).
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    All you're really going to gain is a slightly higher rank on world of logs, which is fine if that's what you're into. You know what I'm into? AFKing in dalaran while hot bitties swoon around me and my good looks.