Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sorry to all of you DPS out there in the Random queues.

I am a healer with relatively fast queues and i find maybe 1 out of every 3-6 groups when i random queue is actually capable of completing most encounters in heroics. I dont know how you guys do it with queues as long as they are for DPS. I would shoot myself if i had to wait that long only to join a random and most likely have it fall apart.

I have been healing and playing this game since the open beta before vanilla wow all on the same toon. Guild groups go just fine, even trade chat groups go without a hitch. it just seems every time i join a random heroic it is god awful, and people afk, pull agro, tank doesnt know the fight, people split dps, DPS fail at DPS, tank doesnt pick up adds on encounters, you name it, in a random dungeon it is a common occurrence
    Last edited by Neurotical; 2011-01-08 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why you have such bad luck with groups, but in all the random queues i've sat through, only 2 have been bad runs.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurotical View Post
    I am a healer with relatively fast queues and i find maybe 1 out of every 3-6 groups when i random queue is actually capable of completing most encounters in heroics. I dont know how you guys do it with queues as long as they are for DPS. I would shoot myself if i had to wait that long only to join a random and most likely have it fall apart.
    well ye queueing alone as dps sucks hard with the times thats why I wake up my brother so he can log his tank
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotical View Post
    The healer is a vital part of a group, is it possible that you are responsible for the downfalls?

This is why I queue with a tank from my guild, or work on leveling my tank in the meantime. I'll suffer through the queues if nobody in my guild is online and I need my daily random. Back in Wrath I would just tank on my DK, but then I started playing a prot warrior, realized tanking is much more fun on a warrior, and gave up tanking on my DK. I still need to work on leveling my healer, but healing makes me nervous for some reason, so I haven't touched her for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Siton View Post
    The healer is a vital part of a group, is it possible that you are responsible for the downfalls?
    I hope not, I have been healing and playing this game since vanilla wow all on the same toon. Guild groups go just fine, even trade chat groups go without a hitch. it just seems every time i join a random heroic it is god awful, and people afk, pull agro, tank doesnt know the fight, people split dps, tank doesnt pick up adds on encounters, you name it, in a random dungeon it is a common occurrence

dps not standing in fire/void/desecration/etc, and actually dealing enough damage to beat the encounter before the healer is oom is equally as vital. One that so many seem to ignore and therefore instantly blame the healer for a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    dps not standing in fire/void/desecration/etc, and actually dealing enough damage to beat the encounter before the healer is oom is equally as vital. One that so many seem to ignore and therefore instantly blame the healer for a wipe.
    definitely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    This is why I live by the motto that unless proven otherwise, it's the DPS's fault. If I pull aggro, it's my fault. If I die, it's my fault. If I can provide proof that the healer or the tank did something wrong, then I'll point it out. Otherwise I'll just look to see what mistakes I made and move on.

I'm just happy I've been able to avoid such bad groups.
    Nearly all pugs I've done have been successful (yes there's been some bad apples, but that's where vote kick comes in)

Edit: that said when there's someone so bad in the group you have to vote kick them out it's almost always a DPS. Sure it happens you get the occasional green geared tank with an equipped item level of 310 getting ilvl boosted by his dpsgear in the bags but it's not that often.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    i'm a DPS so we don't fail encounter because of DPS, i'll let you know if it's so bad when i'll join HC with my tank

Everyone is a vital part of a group. All it takes is 1 bad egg for a heroic to fail.
    For every fail one person does, the others have to work harder..
    If one DPS fails at his CCing, the others have to work harder to make up for it so that the tank doesnt get overwhelmed.
    If one DPS fails at his interrupting, the others have to be alert of this to make up for it..
    If one DPS doesnt do enough damage, the others have to do that much more to make sure the mobs/boss dies before the healer ooms.
    Its not just the healer or tank that gets stressed out when someone is failing.
    And to make matters even worse, one DPS screwing up usually places the blame on the DPS as a whole. Meaning that if just one person sucks, the other two who were doing just fine will usually take the flak just as much.

Take a look at raiding as an example of this.
    In fights that requires more than one Tank or Healer (close to all of them), the tanks and healers often needs to be given dedicated targets and commands of when who does what.. DPS has this same thing going on in every single group since Ragefire Chasm, yet its not untill they hit the raiding scene that they're actually presented with any sort of direction of how to perfom this kind of teamwork.
    DPS by default are often just supposed to KNOW how to work as a team, how to chain CCs and Interrupts, how to pull off their own task without interferring with the tasks of the two other DPS.
    Put two tanks together and give them the same amount of directions the average DPS has in a 5man and the only thing you'll see is a spamfest of taunts as they're both frantically trying to do what they're designed to do.
    Ofc the best example of this is with the Healers though.. You know what happens when you dont give your healers directions? They overlap their heals like crazy.. Tanks goes dangerously low only to get overhealed by insane amounts as all the healers suddenly tries to keep the same target up at once. They oom quickly and the raid wipes.
    All of this despite the fact that they actually WERE doing their job.. They just werent doing it with synergy.
    It is this lack of synergy that is the reason you so often will see "the dps" fail in 5mans.. Quite often it is not because they dont know what to do.. Hell they might ALL know what to do. But they're all trying to do it on the same or different targets (CCing the same target but DPSing different ones.. Wasting 3 interrupts on 1 ability only to let the next two get cast unchecked).
    And the only thing that teaches this kind of synergy is the players themselves... Which usually wont happen till they reach the raiding scene, or at best is "taught" through the tanks or healers yelling at them for failing.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

The first four heroics I got into didn't go very well, which is a bit annoying since that means another 30-40 min in queue as dps. But most heroics I get into is pretty good. I mostly get into either guild groups pugging a DPS, or a complete pug with people ready to take a few wipes and learn what they did wrong. But I might just be lucky though.

I only run with guildies now, and am levelling a tank (instant queues FTW!) but my best experience (/worst) was waiting close to 1 hour for the queue to pop. By the time the loading screen had finished (it was ToTT), tank was already dead at the first mobs, healer had left. Within 10 seconds everyone had left and i was left there, like a lemon, with a 1 hour wait for a 10 second fail....

That being said, some LFD pugs have been alright, some downright good! so its not all bad :P

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

on my realm waiting queues are about 20-30 when your dps - fortunatly i dont mind that, it gives me time to sort out what i need from bank, AH etc so i look on it as a "do something else while your waiting" type of thing - for me, i do arch(omg im sad) - anyway, fortunatly i havent ben in any real bad pug hc, u get the odd chara saying 'omg your all shit, i cant believe u wiped there', but the then with th replcament we clear in no time

Healers are nolonger capable and shouldn't heal through stupidity. if the group doesnt interrupt certain spells (even from trash) the healer isnt to blame for deaths. Tanks and Healers has allways been the core of any dungeon group. Now however dps has been put in the same spot as tank and healer and they have to put up their rotations while paying attention to their characters debuffs, buffs, where the character stands and look out for casts and warnings.

Alot of healers and tanks has been giving the "you're so terrible, leave." comment in dungeons, so has dps. The difference though is that there's alot more dps that has noe clue than tanks and healers. If a dps fails at something in a 5man heroic now the whole group suffers. back in wrath it didnt matter at all. In wrath i did 5man heroics with guild and friends at the beginning and if 2 died leaving just tank, healer and a dps they could kill a boss from 90% where we are in Cata now there's some bosses that's hard to kill even if youre 5people (keep in mind this is a 346or lower ilevel) if you loose even one dps now chances are you will wipe.

Oddly, I think Dungeon runs might go better if everyone had to wait the 40-45 mins que. Has it's been noted tanks and healers get Instant or near instant ques. This has lead to a even more self centered attitude by tanks and healers. I've been in a few runs where the Tank lets everyone know they are the boss and if we do "anything" they don't like they will bail out and instant que. Tanks and healers have no investment in a group and very little motivation to complete a run. In some cases, the tank has left, we got a new one and things ran better than before.

I don't mean for this to be a blanket statment for all tanks and healers. I'd say at least 80% of the pugs I run are fine (sure I could nitpick about little things, but if I finish it in a timely fashion good enough). The real problem I see, is people coming into a PuG and automatically expect it to be horrible and fail because it's not a guild run and one mistake made by anyone and the raging starts.

If you (generically speaking) are honestly exposed to an 80% fail rate, I would have to say one needs to take a hard look at themselves first. If you find yourself being one of those people who use the term "you f**king idiot" in every run, I'd say maybe you need to step back and examine how you are approaching things. I've completed most PuG runs with saying nothing more then "Hello, Ready and Later guys"
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2011-01-08 at 11:54 PM.

As a healer, i expect the random queue to pop up before 4mins have gone. I dont know if I feel sorry for the DPS that have to wait up to and more then 30 mins. To be honest, i basically never see a tank failing at his duties - neither do I see a healer. For me its more common to join a group where a DPS is pulling lower DPS than the tank and start bitching because he dies from the fire and blames the healer.

I often find that the biggest contributing factor to groups failing are the healers and tanks. Not because they're bad; but because they get instant(or within a few minutes for a healer) queues. I don't know how many times I've done a completely random pug on my Hunter on my days off when I'm awake at three AM and nobody from my guild is except for a few late night farmers and after the second wipe on a boss, even if it's obvious that we can do it and it's just a matter of one person missing one interrupt or whatever the case may be, the healer or tank says some snotty comment about his instant(or fast, again, for a healer) and leaves the group. It seems a lot of tanks and healers, tanks being the worst offenders I've noticed while playing my only DPS alt, get the attitude that because they can instantly get a group there's no reason for them to stick around and try to help people learn an encounter.

And once that happens, it's pretty much a snowball effect. One of two things happen after the tank nerdrages and quits. Either the healer then quits because he can usually find his own group faster than this group of four can find a tank queueing all by himself, followed by one of the good DPS who isn't causing a wipe, and next thing you know the entire group is gone. Or, the group goes and farms/quests/whatever for five minutes until a new tank shows up, everyone ports in to the dungeon, and the tank sees a pile of skeletons surrounding a boss and quits and goes afk for ten minutes to wait out his timer.

This is why I don't queue and run with friends. I have all I need from them. Hell, I don't even do the daily heroic everyday because I don't feel like waiting. Actually, I don't play that much anymore anyways.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!