Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I successfully healed my first heroic

Hello,

My name is Honen and you might remember me from such posts as http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-would-change...

I've been doing all my heroics as shadow since I wrote that post. I've been healing random regs for guildies to get geared for heroics though. Yesterday I decided I wanted to heal a random reg to get the last bit of rep for Ramkahen and accidentally qued for heroic grim batol (speicific que btw just didn't realize I did heroic). I notice I'm having to drink after a couple of trash pulls and then we get to the first boss...

"HOLY CRAP this tank is squishy!" I think to myself. We down the boss with no deaths and my mana around 20%. I notice the text appear (70 justice points). !!!!

At that point I realized I think the problem is that people are scared of heroics and are making silly decisions based upon that fear when it comes to how they're approaching it. My previous attempts at heroics had me on edge and relying too much on flash heals and gheals because the tank was dipping too fast. When I came in to this run thinking it was reg I told myself... "relax the tank isn't going to die just yet... it's reg".

It wasn't.

I'm Honen and I have fallen in love with healing again..... by accident

Deleted
    I myself healed my very first Cataclysm heroic earlier today too. I play a feral tank as main and I have to agree with what you're saying. Spamming your biggest heal isn't the solution to everything, and everybody doesn't have to be topped 24/7 either.

Just take it easy and use common sense.

(And I've actually fallen in love with healing too after this) :>

Quote Originally Posted by Honen View Post
    Hello,

My name is Honen and you might remember me from such posts as http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-would-change...

I've been doing all my heroics as shadow since I wrote that post. I've been healing random regs for guildies to get geared for heroics though. Yesterday I decided I wanted to heal a random reg to get the last bit of rep for Ramkahen and accidentally qued for heroic grim batol (speicific que btw just didn't realize I did heroic). I notice I'm having to drink after a couple of trash pulls and then we get to the first boss...

"HOLY CRAP this tank is squishy!" I think to myself. We down the boss with no deaths and my mana around 20%. I notice the text appear (70 justice points). !!!!

At that point I realized I think the problem is that people are scared of heroics and are making silly decisions based upon that fear when it comes to how they're approaching it. My previous attempts at heroics had me on edge and relying too much on flash heals and gheals because the tank was dipping too fast. When I came in to this run thinking it was reg I told myself... "relax the tank isn't going to die just yet... it's reg".

It wasn't.

I'm Honen and I have fallen in love with healing again..... by accident
    Heroics really aren't that hard.

Grats on your first heroic however. May there be more to come.

I healed my first heroic literally the second I could, had 80k mana and went oom almost every pull but did I pussy out? No! People need to man up and try stuff instead of running regulars until they "feel" ready, it's a game you can't get hurt by trying things.

Quote Originally Posted by feo View Post
    I healed my first heroic literally the second I could, had 80k mana and went oom almost every pull but did I pussy out? No! People need to man up and try stuff instead of running regulars until they "feel" ready, it's a game you can't get hurt by trying things.
    However this is the opposite of the way game designers wanted it to be done

Quote Originally Posted by feo View Post
    You had 80k mana when you dinged 85? I barely had 66k (resto shaman). >_>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    Heroics really aren't that hard.

Grats on your first heroic however. May there be more to come.
    Sorry not everyone is pro like you.

Deleted
    Good job. I never really understood why people get so nervous about these sorts of things but you're right that it's a lot simpler when you're relaxed, now if only more people would realise it's just a game and not a life-changing exam there might be more decent groups around.

Grats and welcome to Wrath of the Cataclysm. Now featuring heroics roughly as hard as normal Shadow Labs and Shattered Halls were at 70. A huge progressive step forward from our previous heroics, which were roughly as hard as regular Ramparts were at 70. There's enough damage to keep healers busy and enough abilities on mobs to require a sprinkling of CC. Sadly there is no true heroic setting still, but it's a big step forward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Grats and welcome to Wrath of the Cataclysm. Now featuring heroics roughly as hard as normal Shadow Labs and Shattered Halls were at 70. A huge progressive step forward from our previous heroics, which were roughly as hard as regular Ramparts were at 70. There's enough damage to keep healers busy and enough abilities on mobs to require a sprinkling of CC. Sadly there is no true heroic setting still, but it's a big step forward.
    Are you serious? Shadow Labs and Shattered Halls were hard? Lol... so you are one of those casuals then?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathcrab View Post
    Good job. I never really understood why people get so nervous about these sorts of things but you're right that it's a lot simpler when you're relaxed, now if only more people would realise it's just a game and not a life-changing exam there might be more decent groups around.
    This is true. The reason people get nervous in heroics is because other people are douche bags. Tanks and Healers don't want to join heroics just be dis'd by the ignorant 4k DPS who can't interrupt or move out of the fire. As a tank, I tank new instances with a group of friends. Once I know the place (usually after one clear) I'll happily PUG it because I have the confidence to tell people they're doing it wrong and exactly why.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first guild heroic was a while ago, almost fresh 85 with some rep gear on my resto shaman.
    My first RANDOM heroic was a long time afterwards.

It takes balls to click the healer box in a PuG heroic unless you're overgeared.
    Landing in a hc with a 99khp tank and a bunch of fury warriors and DKs is a healer's worst nightmare.
    Then again, if you land in a heroic with a 140k tank and a rogue, mage, hunter CC, you're laughing.

random heroics have random success rates.

i was tanking on my feral druid earlier (my mains a priest ). and the healer was a disc priest doing what appeared to be his first heroic.
    Now i was with 2 DPS guild mates doing the daily heroic for VP with them, 1 a ret pally, other a ehc shaman. We got lost city.
    The priest went oom first 2 pulls, and stopped to drink each time. So i set him to focus for 3rd pull, and notice that the ONLY spells hes using is flash heal, he didnt even shield or penance. Both times ret pally and enh had to cover slightly, but DPS is good and im pritty geared so can hold my own quite good.

before the first boss, I stop and kindly explain that my mains a priest and offer some advise on how to manage mana better and what spells he might want to use instead. The priest gets all defensive saying me to SFTU that im a tank and dont know anything about a priest, then the 2 dps step up saying, i know what im talking about. Priest is like STFU all of you i know what im doing. and he drops group.
    We were all pritty shocked, but nevertheless the pally goes holy and we finish run with 0 wipes whilst doing 2/3 ach's for my feral druid alt, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    Are you serious? Shadow Labs and Shattered Halls were hard? Lol... so you are one of those casuals then?
    lol shadow labs and shattered halls were the 2 hardest heroics not meaning they were "hard" but difficulty wise those 2 take the cake. im so glad someone whos so pro would come here and enlighten us with his/her wit

p.s your probably one of those who think they are hardcore cause they wipe for 4 hrs on a boss, it doesn't make u hardcore to slam your head against a wall repeatedly it makes u bad.

I find your lack of reading comprehension disturbing. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    I find your lack of reading comprehension disturbing. Wow.
    Actually, I think it is YOU who is missing his point.

Yes, he's right. Normal Shadow Labs and Shattered Halls were NOT particularly hard. They certainly weren't harder than the heroics in Cata. If you remember them as being harder, then it can only be because you weren't very good back then (or were in a group with other people that weren't very good).

Seriously. The NORMAL ones were NOT HARD!

someone was not round for early tbc then I guess lol .... sheesh yeah they were easy with some gear but try em with full early tbc greens you could not just walk through them lol
    Last edited by Shakari; 2011-01-09 at 11:25 PM.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

I never made any claim of them having a high difficulty. Perhaps you should reread my post. I never claimed that they were harder than heroics in Cata either. Only that they were roughly as hard, which is definitely true.

Healing a heroic pug is an exercise in saintly patience.

Expect to wipe two times per trashpull, expect tanks getting oneshot, expect tanks being critically hit, expect dpsers seriously asking what crowd control is, expect dpsers to not have trained their interrupt since it didn't do much damage, dpsers whom you can outdps spamming smite, expect pugs loving to sit in fire, expect pugs to be incapable of clicking lightwells, expect pugs to chainpull with no consideration of your manabar, expect to have to interrupt yourself, expect that noone knows anything about the fight mechanics, and expect to be mocked for explaining tactics after the sixth wipe. Any attempts at complaining is rebuked with a simple "l2play noob, stop using so much mana and heal for more".

In TBC / WoTLK, the saying went
    - If the tank dies, it's your fault
    - If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.
    - If the DPSers die, it's their own bloody fault.

In Cataclysm, the saying goes
    - If the tank dies, kick the healer for making the tank leave.
    - If the dpsers die, kick the healer for not outhealing a measly 30k damage / second.
    - If the healer die, kick the healer for pulling healing aggro

The only way to win is to not enter pugs. My life quality dramatically increased after I stopped. There is a lot of wipes in raids as well, but at least they don't kick the healer every time someone fails to get a protective buff at the twilight council, they don't kick the healers when the DPS is less than a third of what is needed to down the boss, and they don't kick the healers when the tank is absentmindedly bathing in fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I assume this was in a guild group? Or that the RNG-gods love you?
    Congratulations none the less.
    Reading these fora it can seem that heroics are extremely hard, when in fact they aren't all that hard. They have much improved over WotLK heroics, but with a more or less decent group, they're okay.
    Resurrected Holy Priest