Page 1 of 2
LastLast

T11 Raids and DPS... as a tank spec?

So there very well might be something I don't quite understand about the Magmaw encounter, even though I've completed it twice now as a Fire Mage.

That being said, I looked up the top DPS on BWD fights just for kicks and giggles, and I was rather surprised to find a Prot Warrior holding the #1 spot at 33k, and a Prot Pally holding the #9 spot. Everything else was as expected - the show is still being ran by DKs (so much for "hybrid tax"), survival hunters, and warlocks.

My mage struggles to pull 13k on Magmaw while trying to juggle adds and making sure I have enough mana to spam what I need to spam in burn phases, and although it's fairly common knowledge (at least to mages) that current gear levelled (346/359) fire mages are kinda shafted, with frost and arcane performing even worse. The same is true for quite a few other "DPS" class specs such as MM / BM hunter.

However, this is not another mage QQ thread.

Are tanks -supposed- to be on the top of DPS charts? It seems kind of silly to me, but I haven't seen any blue posts / discussion about this at all.

Deleted
    Yeah I don't understand this either, surely with this dps you could have as many tanks as you want in a raid, hey...even have all tanks fill out your dps spots.

I don't know what you are talking about frost preforming worse. My ilvl sits around 347 on my frost mage (without pvp gear since that is his main focus) but I pulled 17k on this fight as frost.

You had to have missed something on the fight because there is no way a prot warr did that much damage.

In general, I think a good prot paladin will do the most damage over all the other tanks, I've yet to have any tank do more when tanking on my prot pally, but I don't know much about dk tank damage but I'm asusming it would be pretty high.

Possibly the warrior switched to a 2h weapon for the burn phase, similar to a druid switching to feral, but I dont think that is possible for this fight since the tank is in the mouth unless you had tank swaps.

(pally talking) well Vengeance on a fight like Magmaw if you are not switching tanks is gonna be crazy. For me its maxes out (around 15k ap) in less than 10 seconds. So an Indirect Festergut-like effect. you can get a lot out of it.

Last night in our 10-man I was tanking onyxia (nefarian encounter) and I was pulling near 11k dps as well (21k AP 97% of the time onyxia was alive). The moment your Vengeance can stack quickly and not fall off, Tanks are gonna have a real good dps.
    Last edited by Thorakar; 2011-01-10 at 03:33 PM.

The high dps might be because all tanks have vengeance now, which pretty much does this:

The harder you get hit, the more AP you get. Meaning that on fights where the tanks gets hit hard (like magmaw) the tank will have a lot of AP due to vengeance.

Deleted
    Tanking the Parasites in 25 man -> Nice AE DPS as Tank.

OT: Vengeance thats all to say gogo 22k ap and 63k crits on magmaw as tank and that with the 4.0.1 nerfed shield of right (gogo 100k+ crits with the old one)
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Holyspartann View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about frost preforming worse. My ilvl sits around 347 on my frost mage (without pvp gear since that is his main focus) but I pulled 17k on this fight as frost.

You had to have missed something on the fight because there is no way a prot warr did that much damage.

In general, I think a good prot paladin will do the most damage over all the other tanks, I've yet to have any tank do more when tanking on my prot pally, but I don't know much about dk tank damage but I'm asusming it would be pretty high.

Possibly the warrior switched to a 2h weapon for the burn phase, similar to a druid switching to feral, but I dont think that is possible for this fight since the tank is in the mouth unless you had tank swaps.
    If you pulled 17k on this fight, bravo, there are less than a hundred people in the world who have pulled that on Magmaw as a Frost Mage.

Also, go look up the WoL stats on Magmaw, there are currently 21 Prot Warriors who have pulled 20k+ on it.

Quote Originally Posted by g1ner View Post
    Yeah I don't understand this either, surely with this dps you could have as many tanks as you want in a raid, hey...even have all tanks fill out your dps spots.
    Ever heard of the mechanic Vengeance? >.<
    If you aren't tanking the boss it will never ever stack to max, so your post is invalid.

and yes after checking it out.

Lava Parasite 10662061 71.7 %
    Lava Parasite 3877220 26.1 %
    Exposed Head of Magmaw 192439 1.3 %
    Magmaw 87542 0.6 %
    Syeres 38961 0.3 %
    Lekesy 20101 0.1 %

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/056jj...=14097&e=14544

Quote Originally Posted by Amatory View Post
    So there very well might be something I don't quite understand about the Magmaw encounter, even though I've completed it twice now as a Fire Mage.

That being said, I looked up the top DPS on BWD fights just for kicks and giggles, and I was rather surprised to find a Prot Warrior holding the #1 spot at 33k, and a Prot Pally holding the #9 spot. Everything else was as expected - the show is still being ran by DKs (so much for "hybrid tax"), survival hunters, and warlocks.

My mage struggles to pull 13k on Magmaw while trying to juggle adds and making sure I have enough mana to spam what I need to spam in burn phases, and although it's fairly common knowledge (at least to mages) that current gear levelled (346/359) fire mages are kinda shafted, with frost and arcane performing even worse. The same is true for quite a few other "DPS" class specs such as MM / BM hunter.

However, this is not another mage QQ thread.

Are tanks -supposed- to be on the top of DPS charts? It seems kind of silly to me, but I haven't seen any blue posts / discussion about this at all.
    Look at the log. He gained 86 Parasitic Infections. He was tanking the adds, and Shockwave was hitting 80 billion of them.

Double Post alert:

Ah, well that's silly. I've been pulling 7-8k in heroics on my DK tank, but vengeance stacks to the point of out performing DPS seems silly and extremely broken to me. Oh wells.

Their real tank on the fight was a druid and pulled just under 7k

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's because of Vengeance, a constant damage-taken-to-attack-power conversion for tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Deleted
    Vengeance would never allow you to pull >30k on a single target boss fight. (Except Halfus with increased dmg)
    It's only about tanking adds, thunderclapping the Rend dot to all and then just smiling about the dmg blinking up on your screen.

Ahh I didn't think about a tank tanking the adds, I've only done it with 1 Tank thus far, and single target is meh, but yes with vengeance building up fast its ridiculous. And with the amount of health tanks have it stacks pretty high...

For aoe tanking, everyone but feral druids have MASSIVE aoe dmg.

Our feral druid quite happily does 25-30k AOE tanking, our DK and warrior don't even get close to that. I don't know about warrior mechanics, but DKs don't have particularly high AOE DPS (their TPS is fine) because Blood Boil hits like a little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendeis View Post
    The high dps might be because all tanks have vengeance now, which pretty much does this:

The harder you get hit, the more AP you get. Meaning that on fights where the tanks gets hit hard (like magmaw) the tank will have a lot of AP due to vengeance.
    Also doesnt vengeance max out at 10% of the tanks health, and the more health the higher the AP.

I haz bad grammerz!

Ahh I didn't think about a tank tanking the adds, I've only done it with 1 Tank thus far, and single target is meh, but yes with vengeance building up fast its ridiculous. And with the amount of health tanks have it stacks pretty high...

You really should get a clue about other classes....
    A feral with berserk on and mangle/swipe, that is massive aoe!
    Ofcourse it's situational because of the berserk CD, but you atleast can do nice aoe damage.
    Saying that only ferals suck at it is so ignorant really...
    Most classes these day suck with AoE, that is the intent that blizzard has. There is no Dps spec more suckier with AoE atm then a shadowpriest. And Aoe really is so small of an aspect in this game these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    heres my question, was he/she/it the only tank? i mean was he/she/it solo tanking it? because if you had 2 tanks he could have roic leaped into the adds laided down teh law with blood and thunder and a shockwave and then charged back to the boss, all the ticks and the aoe damage could have boosted his/her/its dps that high. However if they had the damage to compliment their DPS, or were soloing it, then well... can i has name and server so i know who to bribe to come tank for my guild?! and from one warrior tank to another, give that guy a big hi5 for me.

OH! and a quick side thoght, due to almost all of the tanks abilities taking their extra damage from AP the Vengence might have amp-ed his thunder clap/blood and thunder as well as his roic leap and his shockwave. if thats what he did :X
    Prepare your anus! THE EWOK DAWN COMES FOR YOU ARTHAS!!!