Question About Prot Pally Tanking

My prot paladin is very geared and from what I've seen we should stack as much mastery as possible as that's our best "avoidance" stat. I know it's currently impossible to get unhittable (102.4%) but I'm at like 74% or so. My big question is, why am I so spiky compared to other tanking classes? Is this just something pally tanks have to deal with or am I doing something wrong? I keep HS up as much as possible. If it's an issue with the class then I think they need to change Guarded by the Light to give us a shield by a percentage of the heal instead of just when we overheal since it's rare with all the spikyness that we will overheal.

really? I thought we were aiming for dodge, parry and block cap....
    Since masterey is just block...you leave out dodge and parry?
    New one on me...maybe one of us missed the interoffice memo?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not that well geared, but I don't spike any more than any other tank. I have a healer friend who joins HC's with me, and he says I spike the least.
    Might just be crappy geared tanks, but still, I have no problem.

As far as stats go, mastery is indeed a great stat. But, as mentioned, it only gives flat out block.
    As far as gemming/reforging go, I aim for parry/stam in red sockets, and mastery/stam in yellow sockets, and then reforge whatever parry/not usefull stat to dodge.

You shouldn't spike more than any other tank. If so, you are doing something wrong.
    And FYI: Damage reduction cooldowns are there to be used as often as possible to avoid spikes.
    Not saying you aren't using them, just saying it.
    Last edited by Fog; 2011-01-10 at 10:49 PM.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    Stream Twitter WeakAuras - discontinued

I saw somewhere that the ideal unhittable percentages would be 21.4% dodge, 21% parry and 55% block. Right now i'm around 11% dodge and parry and 53% block. I just feel like I spike more then other tanks, haven't really had complaints from healers though.

Deleted
    Im sitting on 13~ Dodge/Parry and about 46% Block and in raids the healers say I and the easiest to heal (DK and Druid tanks are the other 2 we have) Yes Block is the Best avoidance stat atm cause it has no DR.

They might think you take to much spike dmg but they might confuse that with taking more hits but over all we require less mana to heal.

In my eyes stacking stam is a think of the past at least atm, Stam was great in ICC where you got the buff but now its more about control then quickly healing your tank to full reforge all hit/exp you are comfortable with and level out dodge/parry basicly anything you can into Mastery.

Atm for Normal raids im sitting around 165k hp and its enough.

It is mostly about preference, however mastery seems to be the paladin niche. Warriors Have niche with parry/mastery, DK's have a niche with experise, Druids with agility/mastery. Stamina is pretty much universal everyone needs it. With paladins dont discount your expertise and hit caps. Early we should try for 26 experise imo, in bossfights burst threat is very important and you dont want to miss a SOTR that is buffed to crit. I like the idea of parry with reckoning, when you proc reckoning you have 8 secs to get as many attacks as you can. Dodge doesent seem as important as it once was for us, however if you are the designated aoe offtank it might be more attractive than parry. Strength may be a good investment because it buffs threat and a significant amount of avoidance (more so than WOTLK). pay attention to your caps and diminishing returns and try to get the most out of gems and reforges. A constant that I can deduce from what ive seen is the more mastery the better.

Quote Originally Posted by seani View Post
    strength may be a good investment because it buffs threat and a significant amount of avoidance (more so than wotlk).
    ????

Esplain, yuo!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahjj View Post
    ????

Esplain, yuo!

Strength increases parry chance.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    At the moment threat is a non-issue for prot pallies. This means you can drop all your hit/exp, even with 1% hit chance you should still be able to keep top threat. So try to reforge all the gear from hit/exp to mastery. If you can't get mastery, try to get dodge/parry.
    This is if you have enough health. Like mentioned before, 165k is more then enough health. If you get more, swap a stam trinket for avoidance trinket.

As far as stats go, mastery is indeed a great stat. But, as mentioned, it only gives flat out block.
    As far as gemming/reforging go, I aim for parry/stam in red sockets, and mastery/stam in yellow sockets, and then reforge whatever parry/not usefull stat to dodge.
    Mastery > Dodge mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    At the moment threat is a non-issue for prot pallies. This means you can drop all your hit/exp, even with 1% hit chance you should still be able to keep top threat. So try to reforge all the gear from hit/exp to mastery. If you can't get mastery, try to get dodge/parry.
    This is if you have enough health. Like mentioned before, 165k is more then enough health. If you get more, swap a stam trinket for avoidance trinket.

Mastery > Dodge mate
    This isnt quite right. TPS is still an important point, and should be geared for accordingly. I agree mastaery > dodge and parry/

THe matlab thread on maintankadin goes into a massive amount of detail, just stacking one particular stat isnt helpful, but abalance of hit and mastery is best (the 26 exp soft cap is so easy to get it really doesnt matter).

Im not saying chase the 8% hit and ditch mastery, but there is a nice gradual line to be found.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only reason why you want hit = tps, right?
    And even with less then 1% hit decent tanks have more then 300% threat then the top1 dps after 10 seconds in the fight.
    So why exactly do you want more hit?

This phase of cata is all about survivability for tanks, so drop hit, get max mastery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    Only reason why you want hit = tps, right?
    And even with less then 1% hit decent tanks have more then 300% threat then the top1 dps after 10 seconds in the fight.
    So why exactly do you want more hit?

This phase of cata is all about survivability for tanks, so drop hit, get max mastery.
    I totally agree with you, also if you look @ the pally tanks from top guilds, you see they ignore exp/hit cap..