10+ Year Old Account

Post Looking for clarification regarding blocking

So, from what I understand, enemies have a chance to block your attacks based on their stats, and it works the same way any other block does. What got me curious is that the Dummy was blocking attacks, and it only blocked 6 of my Cobra Shots after ~4 minutes of DPSing.

They hit for a lot lower, which was expected, but I don't understand what's with the extremely low percentage of blocked attacks. Is there any way to guarantee that none of my attacks will be blocked? Should the Dummy even have the ability to block attacks?

Some clarification would be appreciated.

Also, how do you make thumbnails? I hate clogging up the thread like that.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bucharest, in a little corner Country called Romania
    Taken from Wowpedia "Mob rules

While it is clear that a Blocked attack made against a player cannot be a crit, it is possible that mobs have different rules for determining whether an incoming attack is blocked or not, which includes the possibility of a "blocked crit". (c.f. Attack table)

It should be noted, however, that only special attacks—i.e. yellow-damage instant attacks such as Claw, Overpower, and Sinister Strike, and yellow-damage on-next-swing attacks such as Heroic Strike and Raptor Strike—have been observed as inflicting blocked crits. Normal white-damage auto-attacks have never been seen inflicting a blocked crit, and are probably subject to the same mutually-exclusive-attack-result rules that attacks made against players are.

Note too, that unlike player characters, mobs sometimes block attacks even though they have no shield equipped."

To summarize, yes a dummy can still block you even though it is, well, a dummy. Also the reason the dummy was able to block it in the first place is because Cobra Shot counts as a physical attack due to it dealing weapon dmg and only the extra dmg from RAp as nature dmg^^

Hope this helps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrm View Post
    To summarize, yes a dummy can still block you even though it is, well, a dummy. Also the reason the dummy was able to block it in the first place is because Cobra Shot counts as a physical attack due to it dealing weapon dmg and only the extra dmg from RAp as nature dmg^^

Hope this helps
    That explains most of my issue here, but does anyone know why they (Bosses, dummies, trash in instances etc) block attacks like this in the first place? It doesn't seem like a CD they would pop or anything, just something that tends to happen every now and then.
    [/url]

If you shoot at their face, mobs can block you, if you shoot at their backs they don't. It's been that way for a while. Stand behind the dummy and shoot and you'll notice the blocks go away

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasseim View Post
    If you shoot at their face, mobs can block you, if you shoot at their backs they don't. It's been that way for a while. Stand behind the dummy and shoot and you'll notice the blocks go away
    That's probably why I never noticed this during Wrath, I was DPSing on my Warrior and was behind my target 99% of the time.

Thanks Rasseim.
    [/url]

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bucharest, in a little corner Country called Romania
    Indeed, as Rasseim said, it's just how mobs work. If you shoot them from the front they have a chance of blocking your attacks, while shooting from the back prevents that from happening. It isn't very logical nor is it normal but hey, it's a fantasy/adventure MMORPG, the very definition of non-normality^^

yeah, if you shoot from the back, there is reduced/no blocks, but how practical is that unless it fight where tank supposed to have boss not facing raid

Granted I haven't played WOW since prior to 4.0.1, but from what I can remember from Wrath and BC raiding, I can't think of a time off the top of my head when you would want to have the boss face the raid. Apart from gimmicky fight mechanics (eg Bonestorm) where the boss isn't controllable, it was never that hard to keep behind the boss. Being able to move effectively with minimal dps loss is a necessary skill of a raiding hunter, pay attention, move as needed, get used to dpsing on the move, and pretty soon it'll be second nature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasseim View Post
    Granted I haven't played WOW since prior to 4.0.1, but from what I can remember from Wrath and BC raiding, I can't think of a time off the top of my head when you would want to have the boss face the raid. Apart from gimmicky fight mechanics (eg Bonestorm) where the boss isn't controllable, it was never that hard to keep behind the boss. Being able to move effectively with minimal dps loss is a necessary skill of a raiding hunter, pay attention, move as needed, get used to dpsing on the move, and pretty soon it'll be second nature.

Staying where I need to be and being aware of what's going on isn't a problem for me. I had just never seen an attack blocked like that, and was curious. I couldn't get an answer from any guildies or friends, so I decided to post here. I got an answer and have solved my problem.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2011-01-11 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
    [/url]

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    According to my knowlegde, mobs can not block magical attacks, and since Cobra Shot is nature damage, aka magical, it should not be blocked.

It is a bug, or Blizzard just hate hunters even more than I would have expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnious View Post
    According to my knowlegde, mobs can not block magical attacks, and since Cobra Shot is nature damage, aka magical, it should not be blocked.

It is a bug, or Blizzard just hate hunters even more than I would have expected.
    Cobra Shot is not considered a magical attack. I believe the only thing that is considered a magical attack for hunters would be traps. Just because something does magic damage does not mean it is a magical attack. Though, if I am wrong, would appreciate being corrected about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Cobra Shot is not considered a magical attack. I believe the only thing that is considered a magical attack for hunters would be traps. Just because something does magic damage does not mean it is a magical attack. Though, if I am wrong, would appreciate being corrected about this.
    It is magical attack but is not a spell. Spells/dots/bleeds cant be blocked, attacks (magical or physical) can.
    List of SV abilities
    CAN be blocked:
    Auto shot
    Cobra Shot
    Arcane Shot
    Kill Shot
    Multi-Shot
    Improved Serpent Sting (!!!)

CANNOT be blocked (hint: any dots we have)
    Explosive Shot
    Serpent Sting
    Serpent Sting from Serpent Spread
    Black Arrow
    Explosive Trap

10+ Year Old Account
    Thought I'd follow up with my results while standing behind the dummy this time.

No blocked attacks for any of my shots or dots!
    [/url]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepfriedegg View Post
    It is magical attack but is not a spell. Spells/dots/bleeds cant be blocked, attacks (magical or physical) can.
    List of SV abilities
    CAN be blocked:
    Auto shot
    Cobra Shot
    Arcane Shot
    Kill Shot
    Multi-Shot
    Improved Serpent Sting (!!!)

CANNOT be blocked (hint: any dots we have)
    Explosive Shot
    Serpent Sting
    Serpent Sting from Serpent Spread
    Black Arrow
    Explosive Trap
    Might be diffrent from target dummys and players, but players CAN block explosive shot ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Might be diffrent from target dummys and players, but players CAN block explosive shot ticks.
    Oh, I didnt mention my list was valid for PvE only

Dont stand in front of Bosses / Dummy. Stand on the side or behind it - problem solved.