A Prot Paladin Gemming/Reforging Guide

SEE POSTS below - specificly Maintankadin, which is much smarter than me.
    Last edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn; 2011-01-11 at 03:49 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Goal 1:
    Reach and KEEP Hit and Expertise cap. This is crucial to threat-gen. I don't care if you have decent threat gen or your threat gen is good enough - Get to 26 Expertise (USE THE GLYPH!) and 8% Hi
    Wrong, hit and expertise is not needed in this stage of the game. Even with 0 hit you should be able to keep treat. Better to spend your points on avoidance stats to survive fights

When it comes to avoidance.... Mastery > Parry > Dodge. Dodge is worst. Yes Dodge means you take no damage, but Since we get parry from Str now, parry is inherently better.
    Not true. Mastery > Dodge & Parry, but you want your Parry and Dodge to be as close as each other, because of diminishing returns.
    12% dodge + 12 % parry is better then 10 % dodge and 14 % parry

Go to the Elitist Jerks page, Elitist Jerks Home Page>>Forums>>Paladins>>Prot Field Guide, and look at all the best enchants. The only enchant I do not agree with is Dodge to bracers, I use Hit to bracers because Dodge is not one of our best avoidance stats so I avoid it when avoidable.
    And again, ignore all this blahblah about hit. Hit and Exp are not needed, we need max survivability for the raid bosses. Dodge > Hit

Basicly, your Guide is wrong at too many points.
    As prot pally you want to get health until you got around 150 - 165 k health in a raid, then go get max mastery.
    Ignore hit/expertise as mentioned. Even with 0% hit you will have more then 300% threat then the nr1 dps.
    Last edited by Téuntjûh; 2011-01-11 at 03:42 PM.

I obviously disagree. Do you have proof?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I give this guide a thumbs down, you are really gimping your survivability.

Go read Maintankadin, much better info there.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewforum

A lot of the EJ info that I've looked at just have quotes from MT, so MT is the place to go for Tankadins, read anything from Theck or Digren
    Last edited by Zerbe; 2011-01-11 at 03:46 PM.

Dodge might not be your best avoidance stat, but I'm pretty sure it gives more avoidance than hit does....

Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    What is said here.
    I made myself Expertise capped and hit capped at the expense of mastery/etc. spent a crap ton of money and time reworking gems and forging and found that replacing with Mastery and Dodge/Parry boosted my avoidance up pretty high. (from the old 102 avoidance macro i went from 59.change to 70.2) and now my healer is getting bored on most pulls.

Question i have though is concerning jewelcrafters gems. in the past i would just stack the stam, but with avoidance being so much tastier this time around, im wondering if the dodge/parry or mastery would be a better fit?

Char name is Alasdaír on US:Jaedenar
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%ADr/advanced
    "Mitt Romney is a lot like the band Nickelback. They sell a lot of records but I don’t know anybody that has one."

...Stamina IS NOT our best stat next to hit and exp. Are best stat after hit and exp is AVOIDANCE...
    Then proceeding to suggest stam gems in blue sockets and parry/stam in red, when there are stam/mastery and parry/mastery gems available seems a bit odd (as well as expertise and hit gems, but I'll ignore those since it's already been posted that these are not stats to gear for).

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guys gearing as prot is easy. Just try to get gear with no hit/exp.
    Make sure you got 150/165k health in raids.
    When you got that, just go fullout on avoidance.
    We won't get the 102.4% cap, but when we get there i guess we're gonna drop some mastery for pure parry/dodge.

Until dps is catching up with treat, we really don't need any hit/exp

Deleted
    Guys gearing as prot is easy. Just try to get gear with no hit/exp.
    Make sure you got 150/165k health in raids.
    When you got that, just go fullout on avoidance.
    We won't get the 102.4% cap, but when we get there i guess we're gonna drop some mastery for pure parry/dodge.

Until dps is catching up with treat, we really don't need any hit/exp
    This pretty much sums it up, if you can it is best to try and balance dodge and parry as much as possible due to diminishing returns.

Lazuli is still rocking 2 expertise. Two. And like .042% hit. Lazuli kills bosses on the daily. I'm reforging/gemming survivability. Vengence is my friend.

Alright most of these arguments can be disuaded with common sense. Personally in heroics the hit/expertise isnt as much of an issue, except when you miss with HOTR, and miss out on threat or holy power regeneration. When you get into raids you are not going to want to miss your initial DP and AW buffed SOTR for the burst threat, and build up extra holy power devoted to doing burst threat. We are a very cooldown dependent class, focus on synergyzing cooldowns for instance Divine protection and the impetuous query trinket (which you can buy in ah), and/or get one of the health boosters thats on a 3 minute cooldown (works well with argent defender or Gaurdian of the ancient kings). Stay away from 2 minute cooldowns unless you can find two of them to pop together. Once your geared and play well heroics are pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    AWhen you get into raids you are not going to want to miss your initial DP and AW buffed SOTR for the burst threat, and build up extra holy power devoted to doing burst threat..
    If you miss, dodge or parry a Shield of the Righteous the Holy Power will not be used so you can spend another GCD to use it again. This is the one bright side they actually implemented in the off chance it doesn't connect.

Not true. Mastery > Dodge & Parry, but you want your Parry and Dodge to be as close as each other, because of diminishing returns.
    12% dodge + 12 % parry is better then 10 % dodge and 14 % parry
    While I agree with most of what you said, including the first part of this statement, the second part is simply not true.

12% dodge + 12% parry is, for all practical purposes, every bit as good as 10% dodge and 14% parry. 24% avoidance is 24% avoidance, period. The difference is that the first case is optimal - you can't do any better in terms of avoidance through reforging - where the second case is suboptimal, as you would end up with more avoidance if you reforged some parry into dodge so that the values are closer together. Hypothetically, you could end up with something like 12.5% of both after reforging, thus giving you 25% total avoidance, which is a 1% increase over the previous allocation of stats.

I agree with the general sentiment though, which is that hit and expertise are virtually irrelevant stats for tanking. Any hit or expertise on gear should be reforged to mastery.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Diminishing Returns my friend, Diminishing returns

I know what diminishing returns are, but it doesn't change the fact that 10% dodge + 14% parry is no worse than 12% of both. If you take 2 pally tanks, one with the first set of stats, one with the second, and whack on both with just melee attacks as if they were training dummies, you would notice absolutely no difference in the damage either one takes over the long run.

If the pally tank with 10% dodge/14% parry did some reading and reforged his avoidance appropriately, then you would notice a difference in that same training dummy scenario. As it stands, however, those two sets of stats are, for all practical purposes, equivalent. Whether or not something is optimal or not =/= whether or not something is good or bad.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ofcourse, but that's what I think of all this, in the end you just need to be lucky sometimes.
    You can have 80% avoidance, but it's still possible to get hit every time, RNG.
    The only thing we can do is to optimise our gear (what we're trying here) to lower the chances of taking much damage.
    But in the end all those differences are marginal and mostly not even noticable