Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mind Sear & Raid AOE DPS

Hello.

How are other Shadow Priests holding up DPS wise to other raid members in AOE? I'm finding myself pulling up the rear in DPS when AOE is needed using Mind Sear.

I understand that Mind Sear is needing work and most people are aware of it, but what should I do in AOE situations (Magmaw for example). Should I just single target DPS or should I use Mind Sear?

I'm pulling around 11-11.5k DPS raid buffed single target DPS, but around 4900-5800 DPS with Mind Sear on 5 targets.

It sucks but there aren't really any viable alternatives for adds like Magmaw and Cho'gall
    Blizzard stated it "feels low", hopefully that means they will address it soon.
    On magmaw I will throw up say 2 swp and MF between MS as needed to keep up evangelism stacks.

I am unsure if Empowered Shadows buff effects mind sear's dmg, but I believe it does so I have been keeping it up during as well. (by just casting MB+orb on the add, since I generally have others in raid keeping up replenishment)

edit: on Cho'gall I wouldn't use mind sear on the first set of (4) mobs, just the 2nd and 3rd.

MS is probably the one thing that separates a Shadow priest from all the other dps classes. Even rogues have a substantial AoE these days.

I have heard many ideas on improving it, and hopefully blizz is listening to some of them.

A limp noodle will hit harder than mindseer now and I've found that in aoe situations, I do much better and more easily controlled dps by single targeting. Then again, some situations, it dosn`t matter how quickly the adds die, `youjust hit mindseer and wait. But when the dmg needs to be out there quick (ex magmaw) I've found that mindseer is seriously lacking and your best bet is to mindspike

The problem I have had with mind spike is cast time by the time I actually get the spell off most adds are dead. Same with dots, i may get one tick before adds die.

This may not be as relevant on Raid fights though when adds might last a little longer.

I find it funny how shadow priests went from one of the strongest aoes in wotlk to one of the weakest in cata. In fact, holy nova (especially if glyphed) yields more dps that Mind Sear. Unfortunately nova isnt a viable option because it costs too much, and adds like magmaw prevent you from being in melee range anyway.

Mind Sear should be getting a buff in 4.0.6 though, as they have acknowledged that it is too low

Quote Originally Posted by domzai View Post
    I find it funny how shadow priests went from one of the strongest aoes in wotlk to one of the weakest in cata. In fact, holy nova (especially if glyphed) yields more dps that Mind Sear. Unfortunately nova isnt a viable option because it costs too much, and adds like magmaw prevent you from being in melee range anyway.

Mind Sear should be getting a buff in 4.0.6 though, as they have acknowledged that it is too low

Ask and you shall receive

Mind Sear: Causes an explosion of shadow magic around the enemy target, causing 146 to 158 Shadow damage every 1 sec for 5 sec to all enemies within 10 yards around the target.

15+ Year Old Account
    What would be nice is add an effect like DKs have to spread our dots using MS

On fights where you need to AoE, just dont.. hopefully your raid has enough aoe dps for you to just stay on the boss until they buff sear

Patch notes say +60%. I don't think I've seen a buff of that magnitude ever. And I'm still not convinced it is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Patch notes say +60%. I don't think I've seen a buff of that magnitude ever. And I'm still not convinced it is enough.
    It should be enough, because when you MS a ton of targets its actually useful even though its still low compared to other DPS. I don't care if it tops the DPS charts are at the bottom as long as its now worth casting and out dmgs holy nova i am happy.

I think they should revamp mind sear into a multi-shot style mind flay, you know with slow, chaneling and ticking for mf + swp damage

/discuss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampue View Post
    Hello.

How are other Shadow Priests holding up DPS wise to other raid members in AOE? I'm finding myself pulling up the rear in DPS when AOE is needed using Mind Sear.

I understand that Mind Sear is needing work and most people are aware of it, but what should I do in AOE situations (Magmaw for example). Should I just single target DPS or should I use Mind Sear?

I'm pulling around 11-11.5k DPS raid buffed single target DPS, but around 4900-5800 DPS with Mind Sear on 5 targets.
    Essentially, our DPS can't hold up with other raid members when AoE'ing. You always have the option to multi-DoT, but you'll be going OOM pretty quick.

On Magmaw, I tend to focus solely on the boss. I leave the adds for the mages, boomkins, DK diseases, etc. My raid leader doesn't have a problem with that, and I do more overall damage that way. It might help that I'm also an officer, so it has been explained to other leadership that when they call for AoE I will probably be ignoring them.

On Cho'gall, I have to agree with others posts. For the first wave of AoE adds, I stay on Cho'gall and continue single target DPS. When there are 2-3 waves coming, I will switch to mind sear. Unless there are about 6 adds up, I don't usually bother throwing out a Mind Sear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuismar View Post
    What would be nice is add an effect like DKs have to spread our dots using MS
    This.. Or just an ability that is like hunters old Volley, just with shadow missiles. The problem with Mind Sear is also that it doesn't do damage to the target you actually use for mind sear, and most of the time the target we decide to use is the one that's killed fastest (or it's just always like that for me it seems). Plus, channeling spells are seriously annoying in Cataclysm because of all the movement.. All the clipping in MF is really FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by domzai View Post
    I find it funny how shadow priests went from one of the strongest aoes in wotlk to one of the weakest in cata. In fact, holy nova (especially if glyphed) yields more dps that Mind Sear.
    Yeah it's really nice, extra shadow damage in shadowform my ass Ô_ô
    Last edited by Neliah; 2011-01-11 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    On WoWhead it said it can now be cast on any target, which means you could cast it on a friendly target so it actually hits all the enemies now
    : D
    85 Priest/72 Druid/85 Mage/24 Shaman/56 Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marraphy View Post
    On WoWhead it said it can now be cast on any target, which means you could cast it on a friendly target so it actually hits all the enemies now
    : D
    I wouldn't keep your hopes up - not sure that's intentional. If it is, I guess you just start casting it on your tank.

holy shit, if you can cast this on people, its gonna need a nerf to its graphic, because you can cast that anywhere now! but that would really help out with mind sear's issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    on the other hand, not-so-long ago it got nerfed with like 300% :S

Quote Originally Posted by rhyliss View Post
    I wouldn't keep your hopes up - not sure that's intentional. If it is, I guess you just start casting it on your tank.
    Well, they changed the tooltip, which seems intentional enough, but we can wait and see.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Mind Sear can now be channeled on friendly targets in addition to enemy targets. In addition, Mind Sear's damage has been increased by roughly 15%.
    hurray! at least we may channel Mind Sear to the end more often.