Thread: Define Skill :D

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Define Skill :D

If you see a player, what action of his would make say: 'Yea that guy is definitely skilled!'?

It matters not if it's in a dungeon, a BG, a duel, arena.

Here's mine: Knowing how to use your 'special situational CC'. A damn fine sight seeing a hunter fear a druid, a druid making the travelforming enemy druid sleep, a full unbroken repentance in enraged regeneration when he can't enrage out, a Holy Wrath/Turn Evil for Lichborne, a warlock actually banishing a tree druid, and it goes on. It either needed the player to be reactive or knowledgeable or what category the enemy can turn in. Sadly some of the stuff is gone though.

And there's Shadow Wordeath backfire to break CC. Not referring just to Poly here, that one's the easiest, you make him waste much time juking or already force a counterspel. It's quite a sight to see things like Repentace or Blind (instant cast) get broken, but not by chance, but predicted every time. Also there was Seal of Blood backfire for paladins, I often saved the Judgement for the same use, and it was quite a pity to see Seal of Blood go away, wrath pala skill...let's say it almost died with that day.

There's using the warr's spell reflect as a mage... to heal yourself with Polymorph.

Also there were those old abilities that were very uninteresting in TBC but got buffed in Wrath to have interesting effects, like Feint that lowered AoE damage, it was nice to see a rogue that knew to tank a Bladestorm or Divine Storm And that's before crazy sap-abusing tricks

At last, when I see someone fall victim to the Skill metagem (1% spellreflect chance) where he gets a strong CD reflected, but reacts quickly against it and still pulls out a win.

Long story short it's more around class knowledge, reaction, quick decisions and cooldown management.

What about you folks?
    Last edited by mmoc3b65426e43; 2011-01-30 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Rewording!

Pretty much what OP said

Too bad that high majority of WoW players aren't capable of doing such things...

Deleted
    Skill can be shown in many ways, for me, when somebody is able to do their job well, and also pick up slack of somebody else. (An elemental shaman banging out top DPS, and popping heals as the healer is strugling) or be able to switch roles instantly if somebody dies!

Knowing your class, when to do what, and not standing in fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meguas View Post
    Knowing your class, when to do what, and not standing in fire.
    Dont forget clicking the lightwell....

There is no skill involved in making logical choices. People that fail at "move to x, don't stand in y, cast z when big shiny happens" are simply just stupid.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Pretty much gotta agree with OP, you kind of covered almost everything D:

When someone says he's skilled, you expect him to not be a keyboardturner (backpedal), to have keybinds on all his abilites, to have macros/focus macros, to have great knowledge of their class, as well as all the other classes in the game and not to forget, to be experienced and know what to use when.

Deleted
    Dont forget clicking the lightwell....
    Good point!

10+ Year Old Account
    skill is admitting you can make mistakes, and trying to fix them, instead of blaming others/boss mechanics

also, taking the time to read up on your class/spec instead of relying on others to help you, or worse, not accepting any comments about your playstyle

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
    a warlock actually banishing a tree druid?
    Yey you can't actually banish a tree druid anymore bro

Deleted
    If you're a rogue at level 29 with all the heirlooms and enchants possible. That takes skill.

On a serious note, I don't think PvE requires skill at all. All it takes is memorization, addons, and a lot of time.
    PvP takes skill, especially arena.
    Last edited by mmocfccb6e2de1; 2011-01-29 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warriors heroic leaping over traps, Hunters disengaging over gaps/rivers, Rogues Vanish - Sapping a target that is about to come out of another CC...

But mostly, the things that really make me say wow he is good are not those things that just use class mechanics and training/ watching vids, but rather very situational things like people being absolutely aware of their surroundings, immediately switching/ccing new enemies, reacting in the best possible manner.
    If something unpredictable happens, you see very quickly who has skill and who just learned by watching vids/reading guides and tricks.

LFM ICC25 HEROIC FOR THE MOUNT......MUST BE 85 AND HAVE 360ILVL....

"facepalm"
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Deleted
    Skill = not standing in Fire or any other form of Enemy AOE. >>

Deleted
    Skill is when you stunlock lowbie while eating sandwich with one hand and drinking coke with the other hand.

Deleted
    Yey you can't actually banish a tree druid anymore bro
    Pity they nerfed most situational CC. On my Dk I used to have to setup my Lichborne in a moment when I don't get CC'd by a pala. Not even Holy Wrath seems to work, but at least the Garg/Rotface can be controlled

But mostly, the things that really make me say wow he is good are not those things that just use class mechanics and training/ watching vids, but rather very situational things like people being absolutely aware of their surroundings, immediately switching/ccing new enemies, reacting in the best possible manner.
    If something unpredictable happens, you see very quickly who has skill and who just learned by watching vids/reading guides and tricks.
    Ye I love those situations, when you gotta take good decisions on the spot without raging when odds turn against you and your allies all of a sudden. Situational awareness is an awesome thing <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Skill is when you stunlock lowbie while eating sandwich with one hand and drinking coke with the other hand.
    Not to forget that you also are playing piano with your right foot and xbox with your left.

It's called ADHD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neltharia View Post
    If you're a rogue at level 29 with all the heirlooms and enchants possible. That takes skill.

On a serious note, I don't think PvE requires skill at all. All it takes is memorization, addons, and a lot of time.
    PvP takes skill, especially arena.
    Then you never raided hard bosses mate. the easy bosses are of course very easy and just memorization. But bossfights where you have to time every cooldown with other teammates and make quick decisions while managing your mana very well takes skill. That only affects healers.
    So yeah in my opinion only healer stand out if they show skill. DDs & Tanks are easy to be good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Skill = not standing in Fire or any other form of Enemy AOE. >>
    Yeah that's just logical thinking, a 10 year old can do this. This is no Skill. If someone can't manage to do so, he/she is just stupid.