The New and Improved MIND SEAR

I'm lovin' the changes to mindsear. One question I immediately thought though was, does this mean that we can cast Mind Sear on ourselves? Can anyone elaborate further?
    Also, I am a bit confused as to why the initial patch notes read a +60% increase to mind sear damage, while the ones today read "roughly +15%". Anyone have some further insight on this?

Deleted
    Jep, now +15%, this will let us in the position to stay on bosses
    Will test the self_MS today on the PTRs

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the current state of Shadow Magic AE damage I think this buff is very welcome.

Deleted
    +60% is on the *base* damage but I'm not sure how this translates in to +15% on top of the casting on friendly target.

Given the figures this would imply that 15% of our damage was about 60 and hence our new tick damage would be about 420, which seems far too low.

Unless they've tweaked the spell power coefficient too...

And on top of this we get an extra target, which is a good % increase too in a lot of cases.

Deleted
    Probably best to cast it on the tank, dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by schleimhaut View Post
    Probably best to cast it on the tank, dont you think?
    Yes I would say in most cases if the adds are meant to be tanks there still a couple of raid fights where we have to pick our target because they are not meant to be tanked. In that situation I just target the one when the highest health every time I recast

Kinda a pointless change if you think about it. Since we can now cast it on the tanks to damage all enemy's around they could of changed it to just damage the target of mind sear instead... but if they fix mind sear on self we have a way to get stealthy s out. Currently on the ptr it just shows up as a buff and doesn't channel if you use it on yourself.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

See I didn't think of it when it comes to the PvE aspect of the game. When I saw this change my heart jumped because I have some sneaky plans for this. How about a stealthed rogue with mind sear on him walking around. If he even gets close to a stealthie my sear will get him out. Many other uses in PvP for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
    I'm lovin' the changes to mindsear. One question I immediately thought though was, does this mean that we can cast Mind Sear on ourselves? Can anyone elaborate further?
    Also, I am a bit confused as to why the initial patch notes read a +60% increase to mind sear damage, while the ones today read "roughly +15%". Anyone have some further insight on this?
    Maybe you should read the text introducing the initial patch notes posted here. The 60% number wasn't official, it was datamined.

The 15% number is from the official patch notes.

Quoting Boubouille now:

The notes for tonight's PTR build have been updated, as usual, they are the only thing you should trust and any change mentioned here is more reliable than the funny datamining. Blizzard spends a lot more time than they used to working on very nice official patch notes, use them.
    Keep this in mind for the future.

Thanks for that clarification, a 15% buff is still very welcome. I absolutely love the fact that we have a true AoE now that can hit all targets. The more I think about the "castable on friendly targets" part the more I like it. Still curious if this is castable on yourself though which would be pretty useful if so, however if this is not possible I don't forsee it being a problem. I like the fact that anyone in my raid group now becomes a beacon for my aoe damage whenever I want, and will follow them around. Also, if this is kept on a raid member (like your tank)this puts an end to having to re-aquire a new target when one dies, we all know how annoying that was, expecially because most adds die so quickly and mind sears first tick is not instant.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Kinda a pointless change if you think about it. Since we can now cast it on the tanks to damage all enemy's around they could of changed it to just damage the target of mind sear instead... but if they fix mind sear on self we have a way to get stealthy s out. Currently on the ptr it just shows up as a buff and doesn't channel if you use it on yourself.
    I do not agree that it's pointless, this lets us use it and not be afraid having to recast it after 1 sec because the targeted mob dies. Now we can spam it just like everyone else when we target the tank.

i like mindsear

but i'm wondering...... can i cast it on friendly totems....... cause then i can cast it on earthbind totems for the worms on magmaw. :O)

edit: or even my own lightwell for that fact....
    Last edited by Alenoria; 2011-01-12 at 09:03 PM.

Deleted
    rofl how about the shadow apparitions xD

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by magnem View Post
    I do not agree that it's pointless, this lets us use it and not be afraid having to recast it after 1 sec because the targeted mob dies. Now we can spam it just like everyone else when we target the tank.
    Unless your tank dies :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grrumpy View Post
    Unless your tank dies :P
    If the tank dies I am pretty sure low AoE DPS is going to be the least of your worries.

Also, when I read the title, I got a mental image of "NEW AND IMPROVED! Mind Sear, now with REAL DAMAGE!"
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivicen View Post
    Lightwell cant be targeted anymore with the changes 4.0 brought. Im guessing totems can though, since you can heal them (We had a wipe when one of our tank healers did over 3 million healing on a totem) -.-

Edit: Rolling off of your idea. Why not fling our shadowfiend into the unfriendly fray and mindsear it?
    /tar lightwell

it targets a friendly lightwell. you just can't click it to target it.

I do see a
    /cast shadowfiend
    /tar shadowfiend
    /cast mindsear

macro in the near future