Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Mage (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)

* Molten Armor, Frost Armor, and Mage Armor no longer cost mana.
    * Mage Armor now reduces the duration of magic effects by 35%, down from 50%.

* Arcane Barrage mana cost has been reduced by 8%.
    * Arcane Blast mana cost has been reduced by 12%.
    * Counterspell lockout duration reduced to 7 seconds, down from 8.
    * Fireball mana cost has been reduced by 25%.
    * Polymorph now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
    * Ring of Frost: Radius shrunk to 8 yards, and inner "safe" radius is now 4.7 yards (exactly matching graphic). Dispelling the effect of Ring of Frost will now make the target immune to being refrozen for 3 seconds. If a second Ring of Frost is cast by the same mage while the first is still active (via Cold Snap), the first will now disappear and cease functioning. In addition, Ring of Frost now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
    * When a mage uses the Invisibility spell, it will now also cause their pet Water Elemental to become invisible.

Arcane

* Slow now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.

Fire

* Firestarter now allows the mage to cast Scorch while moving (regardless of which armor spell is used), and no longer eliminates Molten Armor's critical strike chance reduction.
    * Flashburn (Mastery) benefit per mastery has been increased by 12%.
    * Living Bomb mana cost has been reduced by 22%.

Frost

* Deep Freeze's base damage has been reduced by 20%, from [ 1447 to 1814 ] to [ 1157 to 1451 ].
    * Fingers of Frost now also increases Ice Lance damage by 15%.
    * Frost Specialization now also increases the damage of Frostbolt by an additional 15%. However, if will decrease your Frostburn mastery by 6.

Restoration

* Tree of Life Polymorph immunity change reverted

Shatter is a 3x multiplier of crit resulting in mages having to stack crit to at least 17% to get the same effect as before when it was a decided percentage (50%)
    With this shatter nerf, it results in mages having less funstats to reforge/gem into haste/intellect/mastery. This is a huge nerf

Then we have the famous Fingers of frost nerf that removed frostbolt from counting in with fingers of frost.

Then we have the bloodlust removal from arena, which was a fun spell for mages, I don't PvE and if I can't use my 85 spell in PvP then how worthless is it! I demand a PvP 85 spell.
    Or a spell that is good for both PvE or PvP, its a waste that our 85 spell, that is the most special for every class except maybe boomkin and now mages in the upcoming change to be completly worthless in PvP
    If you look at these nerfs they are alot, and they will nodoubt affect my 2k+ rating in the arena. But at the same I'm kind of glad that all the FotM rerollers will rollback to their normal classes. WoW was getting inflated with mages.
    But rest in peace mage, you're dead. And hope you rise one day from the ashes of your flames to be a fully burning phoenix again (Not meaning hope they will be op again, but hope we will be balanced some day again)

Of course mages can still perform good, but now you have to be like 3x the skill level of someone for say an affli warlock to beat them in a duel/arena.

Love to see a single guy saying mages are OP now, but I bet most of you whiners who are whining that frostmages are op, would be owned against me in arena/duel even after these changes. GG Nerfs will never make you more skilled.
    Last edited by mmoccec1481890; 2011-01-13 at 03:19 PM.

If you think that mages before this patch was announced were not extremely strong, you are delusional. If you still think that given all the changes announced so far, that mages are still not extremely strong, especially in relation to the other classes, your opinion should not be considered by anyone as it holds no merit because you clearly have no concept of class balance in this game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Long overdue. I expected it to be 25% reduction only though.
    We'll see how all the changes come toghether when they actually come.

Frostbolt never benefitted from fingers of frost

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post

Yeah because there is countless Frost mages raiding out there
    There...are. Guessing you just decided to not install Cataclysm and are living in WotLK.
    BfA Beta Time

PvE Frost needs buffing, along with Arcane. Fire is alright, could use a bit of a tweak.

the deep freeze nerf doesn't make sense to me. i get the pvp nerf... hopefully people will stop QQ about frost mages and how OP they are blah blah blah. but, as stated in a previous blue post... pve damage was looking low. so, you reduce our biggest damage ability? you would think that the deep freeze spell would be the perfect thing to adjust to increase pve damage without affecting pvp... i still think "when deep freeze does damage, its internal cool down is reduced by x" is the way to go. no pvp balance issues, dps gain in pve. doesn't seem like a hard fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Frostbolt never benefitted from fingers of frost
    Ugh... the previous version of Fingers of Frost allowed all frost damaging spells cast while Fingers of Frost active to act as if the target were frozen. So, Frostbolt did in fact benefit from Fingers of Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Goliethlol View Post
    Ugh... the previous version of Fingers of Frost allowed all frost damaging spells cast while Fingers of Frost active to act as if the target were frozen. So, Frostbolt did in fact benefit from Fingers of Frost
    In Wrath, yes.
    Not since 4.0, making it a pretty irrelevant thing to mention.
    Since 4.0 it's only been Deep Freeze, Fingers of Frost and (Brain Freeze) Frostfire Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0 View Post
    Slow Fall, prob, "Slow fall now costs 200% more Mana and only lasts 5 secs" because we want to completely have people stop playing mages
    Glyph of Slowfall ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Learn from the best! FIGHT THE POWER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0 View Post
    Slow Fall, prob, "Slow fall now costs 200% more Mana and only lasts 5 secs" because we want to completely have people stop playing mages
    Hey if you want to do something funny, when your guild gets ready to do Conclave raid and everyone is flying on the winds to their respective platforms.... if you hit someone you hate with slow fall, they fly off the other edge instead of landing on the platform. LOLOLOL! *evil grin*

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, complaining about this? Chillout, this was OP against dot/magic users and needed to be done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomity View Post
    Seriously, complaining about this? Chillout, this was OP against dot/magic users and needed to be done.
    Err, no, it was done because all magical CCs had their durations reduced. If you notice, the Mage Armor "nerf" comes out to CCs lasting 5.2 seconds instead of 8, when they previously lasted 5 seconds instead of 10. People need to l2reading comprehension.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Err, no, it was done because all magical CCs had their durations reduced. If you notice, the Mage Armor "nerf" comes out to CCs lasting 5.2 seconds instead of 8, when they previously lasted 5 seconds instead of 10. People need to l2reading comprehension.
    I think Gnomity was talking about the Mage Armor nerf, not the Sheep nerf... so... take your own advice? l2reading comprehension?

Deleted
    i would agree with the mage armour change, but i play Affliction PVP, so i cant even try to claim to be unbiased. even at 35% its still pretty strong against dot classes. you guys are doing fairly well right now in pvp anyway so i wouldnt worry too much.#

visit the druid forums if you want to feel better from hearing some other classes QQ, the shift not breaking snares nerf has them getting the torches and pitchforks out, understandably whether the nerf was deserved or not.

at the end of the day there'll be loads of buffs and nerfs from patch to patch as we're still early days in the expansion and blizz hasnt nearly got everything worked out (COUGHtol barad?COUGH).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindy View Post
    I think Gnomity was talking about the Mage Armor nerf, not the Sheep nerf... so... take your own advice? l2reading comprehension?
    rofl :s

u should l2reading comprehension, try rereading it.

hell, where did u even read sheep nerf in his post?
    really dude :s
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

Quote Originally Posted by Jankes View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking a dip in population. EVERYONE has a Mage now.
    Agreed. Too many mages, not enough warlocks. It seems that for every warlock there is 10 mages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    In Wrath, yes.
    Not since 4.0, making it a pretty irrelevant thing to mention.
    Since 4.0 it's only been Deep Freeze, Fingers of Frost and (Brain Freeze) Frostfire Bolt
    It is still a nerf ain't it? I'm counting in the nerfs we've been getting lately. First you were wrong, then you pulled a lifesaver when you checked up the information on google now you're actually saying its irrelevant? I must inform you, that you are wrong again, it isn't irrelevant, this nerf that may seem minor to you.But it changed the way to output a burst in a different and harder coming by manner. So basically, if you thought people were spamming ice lance alot, thats because this nerf. Spamming ice lance with FoF is acceptable, and will still be after this nerf. Blizzard doesn't know how to fix issues. Oh we have alot of mages using icelance for everything, lets nerf everything except the real issue. Thing is it would've been enough if they nerfed icelance damage with 15% while not having FoF and that FoF affected frostbolt too, this way you'd begin casting frostbolt icelance shatter bursts again.

And also if someone is deep frozen, give a 20% damage to icelance after a frostbolt. For example you deep freeze someone, then you cast a frostbolt at them you get a buff called (ex. Lanced!) Which increases your icelance damage by 20% on a target that is deep frozen after casting a frostbolt. This way the damage output would have them using more casts. Keep in mind this is just an example. But fixing the Fingers of Frost nerf and this lanced idea, would promote people to cast alot again. But your only position of thinking is "Mages output too much damage, they can icelance for high numbers and still have alot of mobility" Well the problem isn't mage armor or counterspell, god these spells have been the way they are for almost since TBC came out, and it was never the overpowered thing about us, people adjusted through the fact that we have these spells. You're just thinking "Oh mages are getting nerfed, this will resolve the issue" But its not going to, its just a case of fixing what isn't broke. And I have no idea why they would suddendly nerf Mage Armor or Counterspell lockout when that was never the real issue of why they were thinking mages are OP. (BTW I know the fact that even after the cc nerfs mages would end up being cc'd for 5.2 seconds, 0.2 seconds more than before, but its still a nerf) You know the counterspell nerf you will see alot more blanket silences than interrupts now. You will be blanked all the time unless you're on the verge of dying, in which the mage is saving it waiting for a cast and he's sure he can burst that person down in the 7 seconds lockout.

TL;DR

The real issue is the fingers of frost nerf and an example of having a buff to icelance damage after critting with a frostbolt against a deep frozen target. That should remove the issue of mages deep freezing you and handing out 4 icelances. BTW Skilled mages never spammed 4 icelances against a deep frozen target, they did Frostbolt, Frostbolt Icelance and then if you had enough haste for another GCD icelance.
    Last edited by mmoccec1481890; 2011-01-13 at 09:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindy View Post
    Uhh, I'm saying that Mage Armor was changed to keep the duration of CCs the same as they were prior, not because it is overpowered against casters or DoT users. For example, a Warlock with resilience and SL would take far less damage from another Warlock than a Mage using Mage Armor would, but now, since all CC has had their duration reduced by 2 seconds, Mage Armor granting 50% reduction on that would be broken. 35% reduction on CC keeps them the same duration they were prior to the change.

Learn to read before getting upset.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by daydayhyphy View Post

* Molten Armor, Frost Armor, and Mage Armor no longer cost mana.
    * Mage Armor now reduces the duration of magic effects by 35%, down from 50%.

Mage armor nerf woot. What next?
    Like you didn't need it, lol. Against a ret pally, 50% duration on both our cc's, and that is if you don't just blink out of the stun.