Windows 7 licencing question.

Ok here is my question and maybe someone out there knows the right answer.

I build a pc. install vista OEM. upgrade vista to 7 oem.

pc has problems .. i gut it and rebuild it .. to the point only original hardware left is 2 of the harddrives and a videocard (later on i replaced the video card. (case is the same).

Is this pc legal to have that licence of vista/win7? or is it now by microsoft standards considered to be a different pc and must purchase the licence again? what classifies the pc as the pc for the licence.

What if i just replaced the motherboard and cpu?

i've got a dell with a vista key on it .. what if i do a motherboard/cpu upgrade only .. is it still legal to have that licence (the sticker is on the case).

Deleted
    I don't think the operating system is affected wether you have standard hardware or custom hardware..

Have installed multiple systems with windows and my experience with OEM is that it installs even on a custom build PC, so no problem if install.

I have 1 cd key of windows installed on 2 computers at the moment. One was actually installed twice because I got a new hard drive. You're fine.

You are fine. You are the original owner, just using it on a new computer.

Microsoft might have some lawyer bullshit in the owner agreement, but Microsoft will never go after someone for something like that... They have much bigger fish to fry.

At least in Europe you're completely fine: an OEM license is not tied to the hardware, the software was delivered with. It's just the type of distribution. You can always use an OEM license on a new computer, at least if you do not install it on more than one computer at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Morksen View Post
    At least in Europe you're completely fine: an OEM license is not tied to the hardware, the software was delivered with. It's just the type of distribution. You can always use an OEM license on a new computer, at least if you do not install it on more than one computer at a time.
    no his not... ehh you can do 3 modyfications and when you change your motherboard you're completly scr.... i did this i build a new PC and buy new win 7 UL then i change video card and my CPU cople of days after burn my motherboar i still have waracy so i got new one and pay a litle to got diferent(bether) model and gues whot ..... system is not workin anymore and it dosent mether that i have it only 3 moths this nice person in MS costumer Service explain to me that now i need to buy a new system so it mins i need to pay another 300 Eu ) yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    no his not... ehh you can do 3 modyfications and when you change your motherboard you're completly scr.... i did this i build a new PC and buy new win 7 UL then i change video card and my CPU cople of days after burn my motherboar i still have waracy so i got new one and pay a litle to got diferent(bether) model and gues whot ..... system is not workin anymore and it dosent mether that i have it only 3 moths this nice person in MS costumer Service explain to me that now i need to buy a new system so it mins i need to pay another 300 Eu ) yeah right
    Strange i replaced my motherbord yday and i dont have any problems

Microsoft allows you certain number of activations (5?) automatically over inernet if you do major changes, and even after that they will reset the activation count by phone if you tell them you did PC upgrading. I re-activated WinXP pro by automatic phone support (after human service hours) in 10 minutes without any questions, comments or repurchases. I just replaced my AMD CPU and motherboard on tuesday with brand new i5-2500K+mobo, and reactivation of Win7Pro over the internet worked fine.

Also what costs 300€? Win7HP OEM version costs around 100€ if you need to buy one for some reason. More expensive versions of Windows are wasted on home use.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    If you got probs with validity you can just pickup a windows 7-loader (if you think that's ok that is)

Deleted
    Well, of course Microsoft Customer Service will tell you to buy a brand new version of your product... Call me jaded, but that's what I'd expect.
    Either they don't know any other options, or they don't want to run you through a possible manual re-activation for your serial. Because you know... work and effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I've used my OEM Win7 key on 3 different motherboards, 2 different cpus, and my laptop once. Plus I reformat a lot.

If it doesn't activate, all you have to do is do their phone activation stuff. Doesn't take very long, and works for me every time.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qq-r View Post
    If you got probs with validity you can just pickup a windows 7-loader (if you think that's ok that is)
    We don't suggest piracy here.

Three different mobos here, had a slight problem activating when I first replaced my mobo, but a call to MS and it was resolved. Of course, I was on hold for half a day, but whatever. Only real problem I had with MS was when they told me that they couldn't reset the activation key, Asus (the maker of my laptop) had to, all it took was asking to speak to a supervisor and asking how they expected Asus to change details in a MS owned database and he reset the code so I could use it. No problems on the second reinstall.

Deleted
    Oh the joy of piracy.

Heh i've made sure with windows 7 and vista i've got a legal copy .. i'm thinking bout gutting my dell pc i use as a media center and upgrading it a bit. xp at the moment on it.

I also thought about litteraly overhauling it to the point it's basically a different pc and want to carry that vista licence over to it .. duno if that is allowed.

I recall something about windows licences being downgradeable. AKA if you have a windows 7 licence on a pc .. that pc an have win vista/xp/98/me/95 if you want to and the licence covers it. i'm not 100% sure about that tho.

Nobody is ever gonna come to your house and tell you you're breaking the law by having a sticker on your case, dude... Stop watching TV.

---------- Post added 2011-01-14 at 09:00 AM ----------

Haha, yea The only thing I've bought in the last 10 years is Halflife 2 (steeam wasn't cracked), Wow (all) and Traktor Scratch (cuz I needed the cables and vinyl that came with it).

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I recall something about windows licences being downgradeable. AKA if you have a windows 7 licence on a pc .. that pc an have win vista/xp/98/me/95 if you want to and the licence covers it. i'm not 100% sure about that tho.
    No. Licensing systems have changed drastically between Win7/Vista, WinXP, Win2k, and the old 9x systems.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    No. Licensing systems have changed drastically between Win7/Vista, WinXP, Win2k, and the old 9x systems.
    ah ok so they stopped with the downgrading of licence with xp/nt