Thread: Leveling a Lock

Leveling a Lock

Ok so I got my DK to lvl 85 got her geared and all that good stuff.

Now I ask you what is the best spec to level as? what would be the best spec to dps randoms? Also as I am new to casters what stats should I stack?

15+ Year Old Account
    Int > All while leveling. Ignore all other stats, just pick the gear with the most int.
    Affliction is fine till northrend. Destruction is fine till Cataclysm. Demonology gets you the rest of the way (or the whole way)

Affliction has some issues since self healing got nerfed, but if you're careful and use Soul Harvest on cooldown you'll be ok

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted
    when i started to level my warlock back in 2008 i leveled destruction just becouse it was nice to see high crits even tho those were really rare. There isnt any right spec to level your warlock, just level with the spec what feels good?

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Int > All while leveling. Ignore all other stats, just pick the gear with the most int.
    Affliction is fine till northrend. Destruction is fine till Cataclysm. Demonology gets you the rest of the way (or the whole way)

Affliction has some issues since self healing got nerfed, but if you're careful and use Soul Harvest on cooldown you'll be ok

TBH I think its what you like to play. I leveled from 70-85 as destro. Gherkin rolls demo iirc so his response could be a little biased :P .
    There is no wrong spec, of course for some things "x" spec would be optimum but any of the specs should be fine. Try all 3 to see what you like and go from there.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really wish Affliction matched my playstyle, where i vomited dots all over everything and came out alive. It doesn't anymore, but demo is closer than it was, so now I'm demo!

R.I.P. YARG

Is leveling all demo viable? I was interested in making one; Demo seems like the funnest spec to me. :P

Quote Originally Posted by TourettesHeals View Post
    Is leveling all demo viable? I was interested in making one; Demo seems like the funnest spec to me. :P
    Yeah it is. I personally hate the spec, but it can definitely get you all the way through. The only one I wouldn't advise starting out as is destro, only go that way after you've got some stats to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Phraun View Post
    Yeah it is. The only one I wouldn't advise starting out as is destro, only go that way after you've got some stats to work with.
    Nice, thank you very much :P

yeah im leveling with some BoA's to make it faster

I level with affliction as my main spec and demonology if things start to get hairy. Affliction is much more of a glass cannon with the nerf to self healing so you can't run it effectively to 85, but it affords much more mobility than demonology (dot - tab - dot - loot - tab - dot - loot - etc). It takes all of 4 seconds to kill a mob up to lvl 81 as affliction, and it's all instant so you never have to stop running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damntastic View Post
    wotlk champs wants to run through instances like fucking mario

10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled as Affliction 1-80 and destro 80-85. The 1-80 was well before the self healing nerf.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Demo with Siphon Life (Affliction Tree) got me up pretty quickly, and I got Server First 85 Lock as Destro. If you want to level fairly quickly and efficiently I would go with Demo, but if you have health pots and what not and just care about speed over efficiency I would go destro.

Deleted
    I'm also leveling a lock and i went demo because of the felguard. But i guess from what i've read here it isnt the most viable spec for leveling?!

I leveled Demo 10 - 85. Best leveling spec ever.

Stack Int > All

10+ Year Old Account
    i myself leveled affliction till about level 50 then made the change to demo till level 70, once wotlk came out though i leveled as SL/FG to level 80.

things were alot different back then compared to now.

with cataclysm though i have leveled from level 80-85 as affliction and i found it rather fast with soul swap etc, i had no downtime was constantly moving from mob to mob, the only time i stoped was to loot the mobs.

but really what it comes down to is what you your self enjoy playing, iv heard of others playing demo while leveling even destro, and they had a blast doing it, give all 3 a try no harm in doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled Demo 10-70 with an affliction offspec.
    When i got Metamorphosis I got confused with all the spells and switched to Affliction.
    At 78 I changed my Demo to Destro and i haven't looked back! I love destro!