Question About Mastery

Right now I'm sitting at 17.98 mastery. Does this increase my elemental damage done by the 17.98%, or is it by 17% that it says in the tooltip. I'm just wondering if that .98 rating is just going to waste or what, because the tooltip always rounds down.

mastery is unlike other stats in that you don't get the decimal points. it is calculate per point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiurwyn View Post
    mastery is unlike other stats in that you don't get the decimal points. it is calculate per point.
    This. The Mastery tooltip says you get 17% extra damage. And it isn't lying. You really do only get 17% extra damage.

In my opinion, that's just stupid. Is there any reason for this?

It's done purely to simplify Mastery as a stat.

Besides, it's not the first time we've had stats like this. Expertise has no decimals, and no one's complained about that.

I would assume it has something to do with how mastery not only affects each class but each spec differently, but to be honest I don't have the slightest clue why

Thank you for your quick replies, back to reforging -_-

I dont know... My prot warrior will gain small amounts of block % if I get a small amount of mastery, obviously not enough to push an entire point. We're talking about amounts like 0.3 mastery points, like with a food buff, or a reforge.

Quote Originally Posted by blahssat View Post
    I dont know... My prot warrior will gain small amounts of block % if I get a small amount of mastery, obviously not enough to push an entire point. We're talking about amounts like 0.3 mastery points, like with a food buff, or a reforge.
    Yeah, this. My mastery still goes up with smaller amounts, I would highly doubt that yours does not.
    My guess is they just truncate on the tooltip for simplification.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyle Revolution View Post
    Yeah, this. My mastery still goes up with smaller amounts, I would highly doubt that yours does not.
    It goes up every % of effect gained if that makes any sense. For example if it said "each point of mastery increases this effect by 4% then at 10.25 mastery it would read 41%, instead of 40%, 10.5 mastery would be 42%, and so and and so on.

So yeah if every point of mastery increases your whatever it is by only 1% and you have 17.98 mastery, then that .98 is wasted until you can bump it up to 18, and every point after 18 is wasted until you can bump it up to 19.
    Last edited by smoothtrooper; 2011-01-14 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyle Revolution View Post
    Huh. I stand corrected.
    In my defense, all I had to go on was Google. Ain't played any tanks yet, so I can't measure Mastery by Block Rating myself..