Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord Pencil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the fridge
    Posts
    816

    RIFT: Another Aion?

    I haven't read much into this game nor do I really want to, I've signed for beta but as much as the trailer can give it seems another 'Heroes have arisen, will you take up your sword to defend against the 'RIFT' Horde?' - Correct me if I'm wrong but /YAWN
    pencil is cool

  2. #2
    It has alot of aspects of WoW and Aion from what i see, Watched a few reviews on youtube. But yeah..... it does seem like a massive clone of many MMO's. i signed for beta and if there is a trial i will give it ago, Will i play long term? Probs not... If i enjoy it alot i might but.... we have to wait and see how it plans out. The UI is very Aion like, you can move things anywhere like Warhammer, it has 3 massive talent tree's like wrath wow (and before then).

    If things are working why change it? I just hope there isnt so many gold spammers like in Aion and it isnt a MASSIVE grind fest, my god did i hate that in Aion beta.....

  3. #3
    I just don't see how people fall into these traps again and again. I started playing Aion in beta, and thougth it was a great game (because it was new). Then a few weeks into retail, it just started to remind me of the duties I daily do in WoW, however WoW had much more depth and feel than Aion would ever have.

    The many new MMO's we have seen over the past few years, is not inspiring and they aren't offering anything new. World of Warcraft brougth "New" into the name of MMO and thus it has created the stability and loyal playerbase required to be successfull. AoC, LotR: Online, Warhammer, Aion, Rift and the more to come will merely be in the shadows of World of Warcraft.

    SW:ToR & Titan is the only hopes I have in the future of MMO's. SW:ToR is new and inspiring. From the data i have seen so far, it seems like it have a solid base to create something fantastic. Hopefully it will be playable and "finished" upon retail and not another beta-retail like the other MMO's the past 4-5 years.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by LosConturas View Post
    I just don't see how people fall into these traps again and again. I started playing Aion in beta, and thougth it was a great game (because it was new). Then a few weeks into retail, it just started to remind me of the duties I daily do in WoW, however WoW had much more depth and feel than Aion would ever have.

    The many new MMO's we have seen over the past few years, is not inspiring and they aren't offering anything new. World of Warcraft brougth "New" into the name of MMO and thus it has created the stability and loyal playerbase required to be successfull. AoC, LotR: Online, Warhammer, Aion, Rift and the more to come will merely be in the shadows of World of Warcraft.

    SW:ToR & Titan is the only hopes I have in the future of MMO's. SW:ToR is new and inspiring. From the data i have seen so far, it seems like it have a solid base to create something fantastic. Hopefully it will be playable and "finished" upon retail and not another beta-retail like the other MMO's the past 4-5 years.
    SWTOR is exactly just another WoW clone, they're just obfuscating that by making it Starwars (science fiction) instead of your standard fantasy, and adding in gimmicks like player housing (Your ship) and NPC henchmen. The core game is fundamentally the same.

    I'm not trying to bring anyone's hopes down, but be realistic. It's still got the same kind of progression, it's still got the same core gameplay (some people play tanks, some play healers, some DPS, play the auction house if you want, PvP if you want, raid if you want, quest to gain levels).

    As for Titan, literally no information has been released about it - why get excited?

  5. #5
    Pit Lord Azerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by LosConturas View Post
    I just don't see how people fall into these traps again and again. I started playing Aion in beta, and thougth it was a great game (because it was new). Then a few weeks into retail, it just started to remind me of the duties I daily do in WoW, however WoW had much more depth and feel than Aion would ever have.

    The many new MMO's we have seen over the past few years, is not inspiring and they aren't offering anything new. World of Warcraft brougth "New" into the name of MMO and thus it has created the stability and loyal playerbase required to be successfull. AoC, LotR: Online, Warhammer, Aion, Rift and the more to come will merely be in the shadows of World of Warcraft.

    SW:ToR & Titan is the only hopes I have in the future of MMO's. SW:ToR is new and inspiring. From the data i have seen so far, it seems like it have a solid base to create something fantastic. Hopefully it will be playable and "finished" upon retail and not another beta-retail like the other MMO's the past 4-5 years.
    This.

    AION = New = Kewl = after 1 month = Bored
    RIFT = New = Kewl = Probably the same as above.

  6. #6
    Dreadlord Pencil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the fridge
    Posts
    816
    Well, I agree with all your comments I probably didn't explain myself enough to begin with. I just think after putting years into RP chars, PVE chars and so on.. Games like that are something you play as an excuse not to do dailies on wow. Although unlike yourselves I believe EVE is probably the second most enjoyable MMO out there, after wow.
    pencil is cool

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Ryukaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    597
    Eve is great. but only in case you got a good Corp (Guild).
    If you don´t... well, you´ll miss alot of fun

    @Topic:
    I Played Aoin too in Beta and after release.
    It was nice that it was new, the graphics were awesome too. But around level 19 you startet hitting walls were you needed to Grind, before you could get by (mostly) questing.
    In case i do not write History....

    ..... I´ll just cause Confusion

  8. #8
    People shouldn't be so skeptical of other MMOs. APB is considered (I say considered because it was bought and is coming back) an MMO that failed yet I had more fun playing that game then I have in Wow in years. I know some guy who played APB for like a week is going to come in here and yell about how terrible the game was, but whatever - I loved it and so did my friends.

    That said - Rifts (and really any new MMOs in the RPG genre) intentions isn't to be an entirely different game. Its intention is to be a similar game with small twists that differ. It looks like a fairly solid game, but with APB coming back out I just won't be playing anything else.
    Last edited by Yooya; 2011-01-14 at 11:12 AM.

  9. #9
    To all the people still claiming WoW is the first in everything and to the guy claiming WoW brought "new" into MMO,and babbling about how every new MMO is a copy of WoW you are just coming off as ignorant fanboys.
    MMO-s have always had the same formula,and there isn't much room left for innovation
    WoW hasn't invented anything "new" or brought any new revolutionary ideas,it just took (or like most of u guys like to say copied) aspects of many other MMO-s that came before it(or after it),perfected them and made em it's own.
    For example Warhammer online had queuing for scenarios from anywhere at anytime(also getting experience in PvP),Blizz took the idea for queuing for bg-a and added an option for dungeons by upgrading it's LFG tool to create the current LFD tool
    Same with Wintergrasp and now Tol Barad,simply copied ideas of keep sieges from WAR and maybe some other MMO-s(not sure if DAoC and Lineage 2 had keep sieges aswell,haven't played 'em myself)
    Anyway I'm not saying Blizz or WoW is bad for doing so,kudos to them for taking some1s idea,perfecting it and making it their own,but it's quite annoying when people act like WoW has invented every aspect of modern MMO-s and every1 other MMO is bad and lame for copying WoW ,or being similar to it
    On topic tho...
    I have been watching Rift for some time now,and I'm not saying it will be good,bad or whatever.
    Atm it looks interesting,some few neat concepts,beautiful graphics and character animations,interesting lore(in which creators seem to be putting a lot of effort),plethora of classes with intricate talent trees and character development etc.
    So game could go either way,guess we will just have to w8 till it's release and see before passing judgement
    Last edited by Ashelor; 2011-01-14 at 11:32 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashelor View Post
    To all the people still claiming WoW is the first in everything and to the guy claiming WoW brought "new" into MMO,and babbling about how every new MMO is a copy of WoW you are just coming off as ignorant fanboys.
    MMO-s have always had the same formula,and there isn't much room left for innovation
    WoW hasn't invented anything "new" or brought any new revolutionary ideas,it just took (or like most of u guys like to say copied) aspects of many other MMO-s that came before it(or after it),perfected them and made em it's own.
    For example Warhammer online had queuing for scenarios from anywhere at anytime(also getting experience in PvP),Blizz took the idea for queuing for bg-a and added an option for dungeons by upgrading it's LFG tool to create the current LFD tool
    Same with Wintergrasp and now Tol Barad,simply copied ideas of keep sieges from WAR and maybe some other MMO-s(not sure if DAoC and Lineage 2 had keep sieges aswell,haven't played 'em myself)
    Anyway I'm not saying Blizz or WoW is bad for doing so,kudos to them for taking some1s idea,perfecting it and making it their own,but it's quite annoying when people act like WoW has invented every aspect of modern MMO-s and every1 other MMO is bad and lame for copying WoW ,or being similar to it
    On topic tho...
    I have been watching Rift for some time now,and I'm not saying it will be good,bad or whatever.
    Atm it looks interesting,some few neat concepts,beautiful graphics and character animations,interesting lore(in which creators seem to be putting a lot of effort),plethora of classes with intricate talent trees and character development etc.
    So game could go either way,guess we will just have to w8 till it's release and see before passing judgement
    This. This. This. This.

    WoW is not the end all be all to MMOs, they used many ideas from MMO games and RPG games before them. WoW did not make MMOs it simply made them better, and sets the standard.

    Also why would you make a thread saying how a game sounds boring when you have not researched the game at all? The game is about a war between the Guardians and Defiant that opened a Rift to another dimension where a the games antagonist was trapped, the forces from the Rift broke through and depending on which Faction you choose broken through and taken over the world. The Guardians are very religious and believe they have been chosen by the Gods to protect the world, while the Defiant after the Rift opened have abandoned God and rely on technology to attempt to save the world.

    The Defiant side revolves around how the Guardians have attacked them because they rely on technology and attack them while the Rift enemies attack as well, the Guardians after attacking the Defiant fail to protect the world form the Rift forces and are defeated, as well as your character who is a great hero. Fast forward and the Defiant have managed to clone you and are planning to send you back in time to save the world.

    The Guardian story starts with you laying dead amongst thousands and being carried to the Guardians. They believe you are chosen by the Gods to be the savior and revive you to save the world.

    Now im pretty sure that is nothing like WoW.

  11. #11
    Dreadlord Pencil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the fridge
    Posts
    816
    As far as I'm aware nobody in this thread posted anything about RIFT 'copying' WoW or was there any mention of WoW being the base of all MMO's. I totally agree with you in that It's worth a try, I just personally believe it may end up panning out as AION did. I too have signed up for the BETA and cannot wait to try out this supposed "Plethora of classes/talents"
    pencil is cool

  12. #12
    The Patient neoscorpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashelor View Post
    To all the people still claiming WoW is the first in everything and to the guy claiming WoW brought "new" into MMO,and babbling about how every new MMO is a copy of WoW you are just coming off as ignorant fanboys.
    MMO-s have always had the same formula,and there isn't much room left for innovation
    WoW hasn't invented anything "new" or brought any new revolutionary ideas,it just took (or like most of u guys like to say copied) aspects of many other MMO-s that came before it(or after it),perfected them and made em it's own.
    For example Warhammer online had queuing for scenarios from anywhere at anytime(also getting experience in PvP),Blizz took the idea for queuing for bg-a and added an option for dungeons by upgrading it's LFG tool to create the current LFD tool
    Same with Wintergrasp and now Tol Barad,simply copied ideas of keep sieges from WAR and maybe some other MMO-s(not sure if DAoC and Lineage 2 had keep sieges aswell,haven't played 'em myself)
    Anyway I'm not saying Blizz or WoW is bad for doing so,kudos to them for taking some1s idea,perfecting it and making it their own,but it's quite annoying when people act like WoW has invented every aspect of modern MMO-s and every1 other MMO is bad and lame for copying WoW ,or being similar to it
    On topic tho...
    I have been watching Rift for some time now,and I'm not saying it will be good,bad or whatever.
    Atm it looks interesting,some few neat concepts,beautiful graphics and character animations,interesting lore(in which creators seem to be putting a lot of effort),plethora of classes with intricate talent trees and character development etc.
    So game could go either way,guess we will just have to w8 till it's release and see before passing judgement
    ^This. WoW has copied a lot of stuff from older MMOs. It may have invented some of its own stuff. But if you think a game is going to be unsuccessful just coz its a 'WoW clone', then you're wrong. I think all the new MMOs would be better off copying WoW than trying to make it different coz they might end up like Age of Conan. WoW is one of the most user friendly/ noob friendly and refined MMO out there. To compete with WoW, you have to be like WoW. Some of the other MMOs must learn that doing DPS tp heal or crowd control class or debuffer class and all such 'innovative stuff' is not cool. Stick to tank, healer, dps damn it!

    "King Varian, you wish to make war on my people!? You shall have your war, human. You will see the fury of the Horde rage through your cities. You will see your throne split in two! This I swear!" -Thrall, patch 4.2.0

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral Tychus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,097
    I've played in the last few betas. It's not too bad... it's quite polished, but feels like a bog-standard MMO with boring quests and uninspired art direction. Crafting is fairly lame; it's similar to WoW I suppose, but even less interesting somehow... of course we haven't seen high level/endgame crafting yet.

    Rift events are pretty cool at first, but can quickly get annoying... you generally can't do anything about invasion groups alone and once the initial new-ness fades it could be a PITA getting a group to oust them so you can turn in your quests. I wonder how terrible things will devolve to in zones without enough players to maintain order.

    I'd say it's as if EQ2 and WAR combined and relaunched NGE-style in an effort to full-on copy WoW. Most of the "feel" is closer to SoE style games, but a lot of "look" elements lean toward WoW.

    It seems to me that they heavily borrowed a lot of Soul design from WoW classes. The Pyromancer soul for instance has a lot of analogs to a Fire Mage, down to a mechanic that mirrors the Hot Streak-Pyroblast setup. Overall though, Souls don't really synergize well (or at all) in most configurations and you pretty much have one soul you go deep into and a couple minor (often passive) things pulled from your other two chosen souls... seems like they really missed the obvious opportunity there (or just found it too hard to pull off properly).

    Of course, we haven't seen everything in the game quite yet, given the level caps, yadda yadda. Hope it turns out well.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    As far as I'm aware nobody in this thread posted anything about RIFT 'copying' WoW or was there any mention of WoW being the base of all MMO's. I totally agree with you in that It's worth a try, I just personally believe it may end up panning out as AION did. I too have signed up for the BETA and cannot wait to try out this supposed "Plethora of classes/talents"
    My comment was not directed solely at you, only thing that was, was the lack of research comment. Aion failed due to the developers lack of commitment when it came to end game content, the game was not very polished and just felt kind of pointless. Rift so far has been great for those in beta, them claiming rare occasions of glitches and bugs, the game has been in development a rumored 5 years, Aion thought they can simply make a good looking MMO and take over completely forgetting about content.

    Even if Rift fails there are plenty of other MMOs being released that i suggest you look up.

    TERA and Guild Wars 2 being the most noteworthy.

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Tychus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzme View Post
    Even if Rift fails there are plenty of other MMOs being released that i suggest you look up.

    TERA and Guild Wars 2 being the most noteworthy.
    Yea, I'm super excited for those two. If GW2 turns out great I'll probably play that quite a bit.

    TERA looks like it's super fun. Can't beat being a busty half-naked elf with a giant 2h sword! I don't have hopes for endgame gameplay in all honestly, so maybe I'll be surprised there. The whole action style of the game looks really engaging and seems like at least a great side-game.

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Pit Lord Slavemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illinois.
    Posts
    2,293
    Rift is a good game and it has a lot of cool features about it.

    Play it if you will, ignore if if you want.

    Done, there you go.

  18. #18
    Herald of the Titans UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,933
    Having played in a couple of the Beta events I can honestly say that RIFT is going to be nothing like Aion.
    Someone above me said the quests were boring. What do you expect in an MMO other than kill X amount of this, collect X amount of these?

    It is a WoW 'clone' in as much as it is an MMO. WoW is currently a winning formula. Why would you not want to make a game that is as easily playable as WoW?
    The problem is that people are too used to things in WoW to either move on, or find anything interesting if it is in any way, however small, like it is in WoW.
    There are loads of games out there that get no love simply because people cannot move on from WoW.

    Whether you love it or hate it, RIFT will be staying with us for quite some time. Opinion is not fact.

  19. #19
    I cant wait to try Rift, WoW's developers are slipping so bad lately. They need some competition to drive innovative development.

  20. #20
    I've got beta and rift is wow with different spells and content. The "rift" events are just "oh look there is huge graphic effect and monsters are spawning around" and when monsters are attacking city it feels like 20 men alliance raid is running into orgrimmar at 6PM on server with high horde population. It has some interesting ideas, like 123456 talent trees, but overall it doesn't feel like something new. If you like wow but are sick of its content you should check this out, otherwise stick with wow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •