Demo Warlock Tank

I came across this idea on the official wow forums and kind of fell in love with it, so I thought I'd bring it over here just to have fun with. Someone took our age old use of being ranged caster tanks and took it a step further. The general idea is that Demonology would have the option to sacrifice their pet and gain a permanent demon form that increases threat done over dmg. We'd use SP as filler, we already had a taunt during wrath, resistance to stuns, and maybe a slight reduction to damage done (much like warrior prot stance). We have a self healing ability in DL, and demon soul and demonic knowledge could become typical tank cooldowns. The talent tree would be similar to the current feral druid tree (in that it's a split tree between tanking and dps) and bliz could add in a function that converts int to some form of mitigation (dodge comes to mind, having a greater knowledge of your opponents arsenal gives you a better chance of avoiding damage).

Before the trolls start I realize this will never actually be implemented, I just wanted a fun idea to toss around on the forums to pass time. Any input to make this a realistic spec would be awesome even if bliz is too lazy to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damntastic View Post
    wotlk champs wants to run through instances like fucking mario

Old Idea, wouldn't work for to many reasons PVP and arena would be to OP. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a flame fest we'll see. One of the major flaws of tanking as demo is when Meta wears off you will die or shatter all threat to someone else. If meta lasted forever it would be extremely OP to the point EVERYONE would be a warlock.

Get rid of destruction tree and make that the new minion tanking tree, give destro locks the option to switch to mage.

Currently the destruction tree is the most interesting IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Old Idea, wouldn't work for to many reasons PVP and arena would be to OP. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a flame fest we'll see. One of the major flaws of tanking as demo is when Meta wears off you will die or shatter all threat to someone else. If meta lasted forever it would be extremely OP to the point EVERYONE would be a warlock.
    1) As I stated in my first post this is purely for fun, so please just roll with it instead of saying why it wouldnt work.

2) The idea is that you fuse yourself with your felguard and, in exchange for being permanently able to to stay a demon you give up a large part of your damage dealing capabilities (say a 30% overall damage reduction).
    Quote Originally Posted by Damntastic View Post
    wotlk champs wants to run through instances like fucking mario

10+ Year Old Account
    Itemisation.

Can't dodge or parry while casting.

You'd need to invent such a slew of new talents and spells you may as well invent a new class to give them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love a new class being ranged tank:P but i also love pulling big threat as warlock when tank dies... not as completely new class focused on tanking.

mages should be able to glyph evocation and heal their target at the same time to keep us up

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Itemisation.

Can't dodge or parry while casting.

You'd need to invent such a slew of new talents and spells you may as well invent a new class to give them.
    Druids don't get to parry, but do get dodge. Demo-Tanks would also go for dodge, and would have a spec-specific ability that allows them to Dodge while casting. In addition, there could easily be a talent early on that converts Spirit into Dodge rating (just like Shadow Priests get Spirit into Hit rating) to make up for itemization woes.

Their Mastery could involve a damage-shield-like effect, perhaps. Similar to how Druids and DKs get to prevent some incoming damage. It could be that a portion of the pet's damage is converted into a damage shield for its owner. You could use a different pet depending on the fight, too, perhaps. You know, use an Imp if you have to kite, or whatnot.

Though you would have to completely change the talent tree, of course... So not really worth doing, as I kind of like Demo's feel currently.

Though a Demon Hunter class that used a permanent-demon-form for a tanking tree would be pretty sweet. Except that most warlocks would be pissed off that their iconic ability was "stolen" ...