Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Why can't mages wear leather??

does it irritate their precious skin? does it immobalize their movement, do they have a high fashion sense and leather was last mmorpg? tell me your thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

mages are to pro to have the needs for steadier cloth

15+ Year Old Account
    bc its much less expensive for us to turn a cow into a sheep and then skin the wool off the sheep and make pretty dresses.

Why can't Hunters wear plate?

15+ Year Old Account
    There are no reasonable reason for why not everyone can wear everything. But Blizzard knows how fucking stupid people are and made limitations.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    bc its much less expensive for us to turn a cow into a sheep and then skin the wool off the sheep and make pretty dresses.
    im pretty sure we cane manage turtle leather

:<
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matherl View Post
    im pretty sure we cane manage turtle leather

:<
    but turtles are so cute =\

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    not if u get it from a polymorphed bloodelf!
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    There are no reasonable reason for why not everyone can wear everything. But Blizzard knows how fucking stupid people are and made limitations.
    Well the "Reason" is from a Roleplaying perspective, which is to some degree taken from RL points of view,
    Plate Armor is rather clumsy, so a Hunter wouldnt wear it, even thought he could.
    usualy even something like a leather armor hinders your movement by a lot

Wear a full suit of hardened leather battle ready armor, wear a full suit of battle ready chain mail ( along with all the appropriate padding ) and if you're feeling up to the challenge, wear an entire suit of full bodied battle ready plate mail.

Now try to click your heels together.

Questioned answered.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    battle leather is possible :< if druids can cast intricate spells while in leather gear mages could too
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

I think blizzard took some of their armoring ideas from the good old days of early table top role playing games. A druids innate spell casting ability comes from their religious connection with nature spirits. Their 'spells' are really just answered prayers. A mage uses their physical being to channel the elements around them which requires intricate hand movements/components/chants, far more intricate than a druids prayer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i <3 you.

In serious tho the same can be applied to every class,armor,weapon combo. Its a game and games need architecture and rules!

15+ Year Old Account
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    i can give you a reason for why casters that wear cloth can't use leather.
    Once you decide to cast lets say, your magic wand upon an enemy, you need to wave it around fancy like and given the fact leather does tighten itself when strained into hard-to-cope-with position, it becomes an imposition and you will not be able to be effective against your virg...uhm Noobie enemies

I do sense this phrase may have some sexual conotations though...
    Could be just me i guess

Well be like me, wear new rock boots that feel like a leg work out when ever you walk.

Wore them for like 10 hours non stop yesterday and walked 6 miles in them, I got home and my legs was almost dead.

Suppose thats why mages dont wear leather lol.

Deleted
    It's to allow you to move freely and let energies slip in and out of your body.
    Ever tried waving your arms to cast fireball while wearing leather? Can barely lift your arms, that stuffs surprisingly heavy. If I do manage to wave my arms about the thick armour keeps a load of the heat from my fireball trapped in. Have you ever smelled burnt leather? It's not nice.

[/roleplaying]

Well I don't think my worgen warlock could manage to do all those fancy hand motions while wearing leather. Those spells require finesse! Or Blizz just kept with the DnD traditions blindly.

If druids are the protectors of animals and nature, then why are they wearing leather armor made from slaughtered animals? Oxymoron much?

In D&D, wizards and other similar casting classes can only wear light armor because medium and hide armor impede their spell casting ability. They CAN wear leather armor, but they take penalties to their spell casting. Not to mention you have to have a certain strength to be able to wear heavier armor, so that'll knock points out of other important stats to put it in there.

I was going somewhere with that... OH YEAH. WoW is heavily influenced in many ways by Dungeons and Dragons. It's likely the tradition just carried over from that.

the other d&d nerds beat me to it, so ill just say something on the subject of "BUT DRUIDS AND SHAMAN DO IT"

traditionally speaking it takes a lot more finesse to manipulate the arcane than it does to channel elements. the arcane arts are more "mathy" i guess, while shaman and druids usually get their powers from some sort of "pact" with deities/nature. they're being allowed to use that power, so it takes less concentration or something.

also, druids are protectors of nature and balance, it doesnt mean they are vegan hippies. wearing leather is a symbol of our affinity with nature, we used the rest of the animal too... think native american culture