Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Keep in mind you have to be stingy with your dots in heroics. A lot of times, it's not worth applying everything since stuff is begining to die so fast now that the gear lvls are catching up and you're better off mindspiking or using a diff mixture of multidot+ff (unless the dps problem is only considering boss fights)

Quote Originally Posted by Sithik View Post
    I have similar problems i think, my dps is pretty low in raids even, only around 10-12k im using the rotation in New's post, but not so much with the SW: Death.
    just a question, is it because i have some pvp gear on me? can it do so mutch of a difference?

armory: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/talnivarr/sithik/simple
    head needs reforging mastery - haste
    tht back piece is lacking alot of secondary stat, if ur lacking hit i see u havent enchanted ur chest +40spirit on chest is cheap..
    similarly with bracers
    crit > haste on weapon wud be a bit better
    trinkets arent geat, flat int increase on tears of blood but its just procing hit rating...
    quite a few better trinkets in heroics have a little farm... the hit/sp proc one would help u not lose so much hit when u get rid of the pvp spirit pieces, and gale of winds hc from grimbatol hc would be superior to ur mastery procing one, or BRC has a +int and haste proc trinket

mind flay is a dot now and most of our dmg comes from dots aka they cnt miss (once u cast on target). thats why hit can be reforged to crit/haste.

i tried myself runnin with 13% hit and 13% crit + 18% haste and i did a lot more dmg than if i run with 17% hit and reforge some crit/haste into spirit/hit.

u can also try worldoflogs, find the top sp there, look them up on armory, compare stats, etc
    Sup

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    head needs reforging mastery - haste
    tht back piece is lacking alot of secondary stat, if ur lacking hit i see u havent enchanted ur chest +40spirit on chest is cheap..
    similarly with bracers
    crit > haste on weapon wud be a bit better
    trinkets arent geat, flat int increase on tears of blood but its just procing hit rating...
    quite a few better trinkets in heroics have a little farm... the hit/sp proc one would help u not lose so much hit when u get rid of the pvp spirit pieces, and gale of winds hc from grimbatol hc would be superior to ur mastery procing one, or BRC has a +int and haste proc trinket
    Thanks for reply! I actually have reforged head, got it yesterday so guess its not updated yet. I have around 2% miss chance, which i havent found to be a problem as of yet. Havent found any dagger as a replacement though the trinket was a big upgrade from what i had before i will get better trinkets with time(needs to farm arch and tol barad rep) -.-
    Again thanks for the input!

I'll comment on the non pvp gear and stuff
    1. Herbalism as a profession...
    2. You only need 6% hit for heroics so if you're not raiding reforge out of spirit/hit to inflate your dps (after hit cap int>haste>crit>mast>spi/hit)

Can't comment much more than that with pvp gear because I don't know what the heck you are doing. You reforge into hit then you reforge out of hit

The text book "rotation" for Spriests in Cataclysm that I found very effective and usable is:

VT > SWP > DT > Mindflay
    Refresh your dots as they're ticking down.

+ Cast Mind Blast when you get 5 orbs
    + Pop Shadow Fiend and Arch Angel as soon as either one comes off of cool down.
    + Cast Shadow Word Death to regain mana if you're below 50% mana

Quote Originally Posted by HAWT5AUCE View Post
    + Cast Mind Blast when you get 5 orbs
    I guess you never use MB then :P I know what you mean though, I myself have tested MBing with only 3 orbs or when you have 1-3 with CD. I found MB with 1-3>3 due to the RNG factor but that's my opinion

Gem and enchant INT wherever possible.
    Just aim for a socket bonus if it gives you at least 10 INT (or about 20 haste) for each non-red gem or when you have to activate your META.

Boss Fight:
    SW:P -> DP -> VT (or in any other order) -> MF until ONE Orb -> MB -> reapply VT and DP -> DPS according to priority list ( VT > DP > SW (below 25%) > MB with at least 1 Orb > MF > SW (above 25%) (keep SW:P up by flaying)

Use Shadow Fiend on CD.
    Use Dark Archangel on CD but only AFTER you've refreshed VT and DP doesn't need to be refreshed during the next 10+ seconds.

The reason you cast VT and DP once before you get ES is that you can be really unlucky and not get an Orb for 30+ seconds and your DPS will suffer EXTREMELY when you're just flaying with SW:P ticking.

PS: Mastery DOES increase DoT damage from Empowered Shadows. So many people seem to get this wrong at the moment. o_O

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpalmo View Post
    Hey guys.. so as they title says.. WTF is going with my DPS.. in heroics im pulling about 6k dps only..

Here are my stats atm.. please try figure out whats going on..

iLvL - 347

Spell Power - 5302
    Haste - 1256 (9.81%)
    Hit Chance - 2173 ( yea i know.. over capped.. im gonna reforge into haste)
    Crit Chance - 10.17%
    Mastery - 11.71

My rotation at the moment :

SWP - DP - VT - SF - MB (1-3 orbs) Flay Flay Flay.. Refresh Dots as soon as they are down.. DA when just refreshed VT and DP.

Thats pretty much all i can give ya.
    Please help if possible it will be much appreicated,
    Thanks so much guys
    Not that I know so much about spriests, but u might want to boost your haste to 10% so you get an extra tick to your 15sec duration dots that tick every 3sec.
    Just assuming some of your dots work like those of affliction lock's.

Quote Originally Posted by Thranduin View Post
    Gem and enchant INT wherever possible.
    Just aim for a socket bonus if it gives you at least 10 INT (or about 20 haste) for each non-red gem or when you have to activate your META.

Boss Fight:
    SW:P -> DP -> VT (or in any other order) -> MF until ONE Orb -> MB -> reapply VT and DP -> DPS according to priority list ( VT > DP > SW (below 25%) > MB with at least 1 Orb > MF > SW (above 25%) (keep SW:P up by flaying)

Use Shadow Fiend on CD.
    Use Dark Archangel on CD but only AFTER you've refreshed VT and DP doesn't need to be refreshed during the next 10+ seconds.

The reason you cast VT and DP once before you get ES is that you can be really unlucky and not get an Orb for 30+ seconds and your DPS will suffer EXTREMELY when you're just flaying with SW:P ticking.

PS: Mastery DOES increase DoT damage from Empowered Shadows. So many people seem to get this wrong at the moment. o_O
    This^^

And also Xzan's comment is correct as well.

You basically want to make sure you have Empowered Shadows up each time before you re-cast a DoT, but it also doesn't hurt to cast the DoT anyway if you can't seem to proc an orb. Your highest DPS will come from using ES buffed DoTs. I would recommend an add-on that will help you see more clearly which buffs you have. I use an add-on called "Tellmewhen" and it works well for how I play.

Once you master how this works and get some really good intellect/haste stats going, your DPS will greatly improve.

Deleted
    why haste > crit ?

anyone did some test?

i need this info for pvp

i want to reach 20% crit

now i have disci gear refeorged to play shadow lol

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../yuiiuo/simple

with this stat on dummie 80 i'm over 7.5k dps (without trinket and sf) but i need more damage!

is better 11% haste (for 1 more tick of all dots) and 11% crit or 4% haste and 16% crit?

OK EDIT

i see now the test in the guide but i think that in pvp crit is better then haste
    Last edited by mmocc307376838; 2011-01-18 at 10:00 AM.

Deleted
    If the 6k dps you posted are the overall dps in the dungeon (with trash and stuff), it's not that bad. You should be able to pull 8k+ on a boss and you're fine. Don't waste too much looks on recount.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    For an initial DPS boost, I use this rotation. Feel free to comment, but it's increased my DPS by several hundred by changing my openers.

MS - MS - VT - MB - DP - SWP - MF - MF (until you have at least one shadow orb, waiting for three is usually a DPS loss, since you want to keep up empowered shadows all the time. ALSO, two MFs is usually enough to proc dark archangel at 5 stacks) - reapply DP and VT as needed and MB when you have orbs or time to cast. Obviously, stop using MS after you get your rotation started, or it will dispel your DoTs. If there is a phase change, or you have to switch to adds and allow your DoTs to drop from main target, start the initial rotation again.
    '
    Don't forget shadowfiend, and, I didn't get to check your armory, but be sure you are specced into dark archangel... helps A LOT, not only for DPS, but a 5 stack archangel restores a significant amount of mana, which helps as this is a mana intensive rotation

EDIT: I'm not a huge proponent of SWD, as, more often than not, I see it result in a DPS loss. Keep in mind, though, that it's a good filler, used on the move, and restores mana if you're specced into masochism.
    Last edited by Theotormon; 2011-01-18 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling errors