Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    I would have to disagree. If the effects weren't that groundbreaking then the entire movie industry wouldn't have jumped onto the whole 3D gravy train. To me a movie that shifts the way the industry screens movies in theaters is a ground breaking film in that regard.
    I'm pretty sure there were a lot of movies in 3D out before Avatar, and a lot of them were successful. There were 9 movies released in the same 3D format in 2009 before Avatar, and then that number nearly tripled in 2010. You can't say that Avatar was the cause of that, unless Hollywood has gotten insanely fast at churning out movies. I'm sure most of the movies released this year were in production long before Avatar released. Avatar may have been the largest 3D release for 2009, but that can be attributed to the fact that only about 1000 3D theaters existed prior to its release, and now the theaters and televisions are widely available and cheaper.

Well, it's official, Social Network won best picture for the Golden Globes. They must have been high. Black Swan was completely above this movie. And no True Grit? Really? Sigh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot View Post
    and last year (i think) 'Hurt locker', a fairly average war movie, beat 'Avatar'.....
    oscars are dreadful
    only good thing about avatar was the special effects. other than that it was dance with wolves in a different place/different time.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot View Post
    and last year (i think) 'Hurt locker', a fairly average war movie, beat 'Avatar'.....
    oscars are dreadful
    Hurt Locker was a much better film than Avatar, don't get me wrong, i liked Avatar, but Hurt Locker was so much better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleeq View Post
    I'm pretty sure there were a lot of movies in 3D out before Avatar, and a lot of them were successful. There were 9 movies released in the same 3D format in 2009 before Avatar, and then that number nearly tripled in 2010. You can't say that Avatar was the cause of that, unless Hollywood has gotten insanely fast at churning out movies. I'm sure most of the movies released this year were in production long before Avatar released. Avatar may have been the largest 3D release for 2009, but that can be attributed to the fact that only about 1000 3D theaters existed prior to its release, and now the theaters and televisions are widely available and cheaper.
    Hate to burst your bubble. But the majority, actually almost all of the 3D releases this year, were what you would call Post-Production 3D. In other words they were never intended to be 3D releases and the 3D was done in a computer studio. I can't remember the exact article or interviews that I saw but there were discussions with many of the studios that do such work and they were quoted to have stated that after Avatar their business skyrocketed. So yes, it did have an effect.

Also if you were to remember last years CES show I would give you 3 guesses as to what was being displayed on almost every screen. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Cleeq View Post
    name me two?

as for OT : its shame, social network has not appealed me at all, well at least in our hearts we know Inception was way better.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not too surprising. I really enjoyed Inception but I don't believe it was award worthy over The Social Network. That's how these things always play out anyways.

Although, big grats to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for their Social Network score. That was well deserved.

I've unfortunately not seen The Social Network yet, but from what I hear it's an amazing film. And the price for Best Original Song was most likely well deserved (I've heard the song, but not in the film's context).

As for my two cents on the whole Avatar deal, I don't feel like it deserved winning any prices at all. I never got to see it in 3D at the cinema, I sat down with a group of friends to watch it a few months after it came out on Bluray. And frankly, it bored me. Worst thing is, they all agreed even when they had thought the 3D version was amazing. Unfortunately, special effects sometimes do that to our minds.

I think it winning is sort of a cop out. Suckerberg won time's person of the year, so it wouldn't be appropriate for a movie about him to not win everything also. The acting was okay, the music was good and it was well-written, but it's no best picture and certainly was not worthy of best director. Aronofsky got shafted with this one for sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Aronofsky got shafted with this one for sure.
    I'll give you that for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's official, Social Network won best picture for the Golden Globes. They must have been high. Black Swan was completely above this movie. And no True Grit? Really? Sigh.
    ^^^ This. Black Swan was a bazillion times more Globe-worthy than The Social Network. They surely were high.

As for those talking about The Hurt Locker, it didn't deserve anything at all, not even box-office receipts. A friend of mine is in the Air Force in EOD (almost 20 years now and 5 tours in Iraq and 6 tours in the Stans) and said there is nothing about that movie that is a reflection on how it really is. Movies that are trying to tell some kind of true story but over-embellish/dramatize it are total junk. I won't watch it based on my friend's recommendation.

It's amazing that an actually clever, well thought-out, well-made, great acting, great directing, great stunts, amazing storyline that has ppl talking/thinking about it months later... loses to a cute teen drama that, don't get me wrong, was enjoyable enough in itself, but nothing compared to Inception.

I think it's cute how people are still concerned with awards and not just enjoy the films for what they're worth. Who really cares which movie wins what. It's all politics with the US awards anyway, Hollywood congratulating itself mostly, ignoring 80% or world's movie production.
    You can even guess who's gonna take the major Oscars:
    Movie: The Social Network
    Actor: Colin Firth
    Actress: Natalie Portman
    Script: Aaron Sorkin
    Director: David Fincher

For the record: I lost faith in the Academy (never cared about Globes) the year when Julia Roberts (Erin Brokovich) won the Oscar over Ellen Burstyn for her role in Requiem for a Dream.

---------- Post added 2011-01-17 at 09:24 PM ----------

Well, Wayne won his Oscar for True Grit years back so I guess True Grit's covered (and who knows Jeff might even get a nomination; no way it will win).
    Last edited by ennui; 2011-01-17 at 08:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmnir View Post
    Social Network just won an Oscar over Inception. I have now lost faith in the world and i will never watch the oscars in good faith again.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    You wont watch because the greatest wide-release movie of the year beat a summer blockbuster? You should be saying I wont watch because the Oscars are rigged. Proof? Alice and Wonderland and The Tourist got nominated numerous times. The Social Network was a damn good movie, call it what you want but it was brilliant, just because they used Facebook as a backdrop to tell the story of money greed and friendship and what it can do to people, doesn't mean it was a terrible movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    You wont watch because the greatest wide-release movie of the year beat a summer blockbuster? You should be saying I wont watch because the Oscars are rigged. Proof? Alice and Wonderland and The Tourist got nominated numerous times. The Social Network was a damn good movie, call it what you want but it was brilliant, just because they used Facebook as a backdrop to tell the story of money greed and friendship and what it can do to people, doesn't mean it was a terrible movie.
    It's not terrible, but it's not the best-picture or director worthy. I'll give it screenplay and best soundtrack though, even though Black Swan would have easily won the latter if they didn't disqualify it in that category.

Deleted
    Of course it did. Inception is a Science Fiction Action movie. It's not going to win any of the big awards. Perhaps some technical achievements at the Oscars. If we ever see the voting I wouldn't be surprised to see Inception in fourth place behind The King's Speech and Black Swan, both much more "For Your Consideration" type films.

The Social Network is a superior film anyway. Better writing, better acting, better direction. Inception is a great film but definitely overrated by the IMDb-types.

Inception did what it intended - entertained audiences, made loads of money and gained many fans who are likely to buy the DVD and discuss it for years to come. I'm sure Nolan and Warner Bros are happier to have that than a load of shiny statuettes.

Though I must say, Hans Zimmer's score for Inception was my favourite of 2010, just edging out Mansell for Black Swan. It's a travesty that guy hasn't won an Oscar since The Lion King.
    Last edited by mmoc8b94a8a2c2; 2011-01-17 at 09:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone here that has used the words "The Social Network" and "good movie" in the same post obviously have very serious mental problems, you should probably seek professional help as your opinions are both dangerous to yourself and society.
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    Anyone here that has used the words "The Social Network" and "good movie" in the same post obviously have very serious mental problems, you should probably seek professional help as your opinions are both dangerous to yourself and society.
    Nice arguments on why The Social Network is not a good movie. Totally valid! You're truly the brightest bulb in the room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook has now officially taken over the word..

the end times are here....

Black Swan for best movie Oscar, Natalie portman for Best ANYTHING EVER Oscar.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, Black Swan was just creepy to me. For reals, totally oscar baiting. All that guy DOES is make movies about self destruction. I liked requiem for a dream alot more.

And facebook took over the world a month after it came out. Going outside is now meaningless , we must all adapt to never needing the sun again.